DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

The Tears of the Kingdom trailer

I understand why it is and if you are going to do it for any game it is this one but, yeah, it still seems weird paying $70 for a game on a handheld system

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Really?  This is like the one DS game that I have both the cart and the case for.  Might be time to cash out to offset the TV I just bought.

Complete copies have been going for between $200 and $250 for the last year or two. I got mine for $110 from an amazon.com Goodwill and I was really lucky when they sent me the complete copy.

I had got halfway through EOIV when it came out but didn't get back into it until I beat Etrian Odyssey: Untold last fall. The series is so uniquely anti-JRPG despite being drenched in anime artwork. Some of the most hardcore, gameplay-focused, class-based, skill-tree'ing stuff I've ever completed. Plays like a Western turn-based dungeon crawler, makes you work for everything, will kill you if you slip up.

I'm so fucking pumped that Ghost Trick is coming to modern consoles and PC. I'm there day 1.

Sad that Etrian Odyssey Trilogy isn't coming to PlayStation, but....it's coming to Switch in 2023.

Baten Kaitos 1 & 2, Atelier Marie (the remake of the first Atelier game), DecaPolice, And Professor Layton? Incredible.

Sony and Microsoft have a lot to live up to.

I thought the Direct was awful, personally. Gonna be pretty barren this year outside of Zelda for me, and my hype is a bit muted on that game.

Sony has Spider-Man 2, at least, but it would be nice to get one more non-The Show game out of them.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Tears of the Kingdom trailer

I understand why it is and if you are going to do it for any game it is this one but, yeah, it still seems weird paying $70 for a game on a handheld system

I think its weird (and I fussed at my brother about it) to get a game as big and beautiful as Zelda and not play it docked. I use my Switch handheld sometimes but for games with simple graphics/remakes/switch online games/etc, I'd never do it for the AAA titles. But to each their own of course.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think its weird (and I fussed at my brother about it) to get a game as big and beautiful as Zelda and not play it docked. I use my Switch handheld sometimes but for games with simple graphics/remakes/switch online games/etc, I'd never do it for the AAA titles. But to each their own of course.

The counter to this is if you own a Switch Lite which can't be docked (ex: Me)

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

After 5+ years, I've never docked either of my Switches. 

I played my first Switch in handheld mode for about 15 minutes the day I bought it and decided that was enough for me.  Hasn’t been undocked since.

I thought the Nintendo Direct was the best one in quite a while.  Number of announcements related to first-person exclusives and the third-party titles mostly seem at home on the Switch.  I feel like Nintendo’s been filling Directs with filler (12 mins on interviews about the new Smash character) and losing sight of the sort of games people buy Switch for (it’s probably not for an inferior port of that grimdark Resident Evil game that was popular on Xbox and PlayStation two years ago).

• Like 1

Same here. I have played maybe the Switch in handheld mode for all of 15 or 30 minutes. I know it was Golf Story that I was playing. And then I thought, why am I playing this thing handheld?

I play the Switch docked, but when I am on a plane, train, or the couch and not in control of the remote, it is nice to play those games undocked.

Playing the AAA Nintendo games undocked is a trip. Handheld games shouldn't be that detailed!

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:03 PM, odessasteps said:

On the GX stream,I think they said Ocarina of Time was $130, adjusted for inflation. 

Super Mario Bros 3 was $50 in 1990, which is about $115 today. It's honestly shocking how LITTLE video games have risen in cost, considering inflation.

That's kinda the beauty of the Switch and why its sold like gangbusters, it really does pretty seamlessly provide two very different gaming experiences, depending on a person's preferences or life situation. I believe it just passed the PS4 for overall sales to be the third best selling console of all time, which is crazy. 

So after saying there wouldn't be a new Call of Duty in 2023 (instead it would be a big update to Modern Warfare II) - it is now coming out that the DLC is being turned into a full Call of Duty game for release some time this year

i want to join the chorus of players who keep their Switch docked at pretty much all times. i think i took it camping one trip, and maybe to work once. Other than that, TV is the only way i play. even the dedicated handhelds that i have rarely get use. I'd much rather use my Super GameBoy (SNES) or GameBoy Player (Gamecube) to experience those games. and if somebody ever created a Sega Genesis add-on that could play Game Gear games? oh man, i would have to start GG collecting too.

34 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i want to join the chorus of players who keep their Switch docked at pretty much all times. i think i took it camping one trip, and maybe to work once. Other than that, TV is the only way i play. even the dedicated handhelds that i have rarely get use. I'd much rather use my Super GameBoy (SNES) or GameBoy Player (Gamecube) to experience those games. and if somebody ever created a Sega Genesis add-on that could play Game Gear games? oh man, i would have to start GG collecting too.

When I decided I wanted a Vita, I bought PlayStationTV instead.

I was one of the few.

(For anyone who does not remember this, it was a short-lived Vita spin-off that connects to a tv or monitor and plays most Vita games that don’t require the touch screen.  It flopped almost immediately.)

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

When I decided I wanted a Vita, I bought PlayStationTV instead.

I was one of the few.

(For anyone who does not remember this, it was a short-lived Vita spin-off that connects to a tv or monitor and plays most Vita games that don’t require the touch screen.  It flopped almost immediately.)

The PSTV can't play the touch screen-dependent games, though.

People are just different in what they value. I got a Vita and was staggered that it could run PS3 and 360 games on a machine that tiny. Actually, that was the core of its appeal to me, rather than the extensive indie support. Me? I was amazed at playing Injustice on a freakin' PORTABLE.

16 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Super Mario Bros 3 was $50 in 1990, which is about $115 today. It's honestly shocking how LITTLE video games have risen in cost, considering inflation.

Pac-Man was $34.99 in 1982 - $110 today. You are 100% right about the low price of current games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The PSTV can't play the touch screen-dependent games, though.

True.  Vita is probably the better value if you have even mild interest in handheld gaming,  PS TV can’t play Vita games that need the touch screen or motion controls.  And Vita games didn’t play on PS TV by default.  Sony had to add them to the “whitelist” before the cpu would render the game playable. Unfortunately, since PS TV bombed out of the gate, Sony added titles to the whitelist at a sluggish pace then just stopped supporting it at all, which means a lot of games that should be playable on PS TV are not compatible (you can download a hacked whitelist which lets you play virtually every Vita game in some fashion),

I thought PS TV was nifty.  I didn’t have any interest in playing handheld and I really only wanted a Vita to play a small amount of exclusives,  I got my money out of it.  Vita had a couple good Japanese RPGs which never made it to other consoles and generally made it to the US as budget titles with English subtitles and Japanese voice acting.  Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines comes to mind.  I’m also a big fan of Masayuki Furuya and his first two games, A Rose in the Twilight and Firefly Diaries, were Vita exclusives.

I still play my PS TV from time to time.  Muramasa: The Demon Blade is a favorite of mine and the remaster is still a Vita exclusive.  The story dlc was also exclusive to the Vita release.  And Persona 4 Golden was a full Vita exclusive from 2012-2020 and only became available for other consoles last month.  I only bought 15-20 games for the PS TV but it’s still one of my favorite obscure retro consoles.  I may be the Wii U’s number one fan, though, so take that for what it’s worth.

I’ve never owned a handheld system.  I probably would not have bought a Switch if it didn’t connect to my tv.  Different strokes for different folks.  I think maybe I would have bought a Vita if Gravity Rush hadn’t been remastered for PS4.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

My issue now is I'm almost - almost! - tempted to start using my Switch as a handheld because I only have 3 HDMI ports on my TV, and those seem like they'll be permanently tied up with PS5/PC/XBone.  The latter is the only one likely to get bumped, since technically I can stream movies off my PC, even if I don't like the interface for Prime or Netflix (or really anything else through a browser).  But, rather than try the Joy Cons and discover if I can tolerate the handheld Switch, I just...don't play it at all.

Doesn't help either that I sold off all my non-Zelda games (because I hated Metroid Dread and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was a pile of shit).

6 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

My issue now is I'm almost - almost! - tempted to start using my Switch as a handheld because I only have 3 HDMI ports on my TV, and those seem like they'll be permanently tied up with PS5/PC/XBone.  The latter is the only one likely to get bumped, since technically I can stream movies off my PC, even if I don't like the interface for Prime or Netflix (or really anything else through a browser).  But, rather than try the Joy Cons and discover if I can tolerate the handheld Switch, I just...don't play it at all.

Doesn't help either that I sold off all my non-Zelda games (because I hated Metroid Dread and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was a pile of shit).

Get an HDMI switcher. My PS3 and PS4 share an HDMI port. I have a powered switcher so it automatically switches to whatever device is powered on. 

• Like 2