DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And I posted that BEFORE having this video show up in Youtube

I understand that not every game is going to be good, but I do not understand some of the design decisions made here.  From what I understand, they not only made the main protagonists unlikeable to the player, but they don't even like each other.  So you have to stand around and listen to them bicker constantly.  Then I've heard from multiple places that the map is massive, but mostly empty.  That doesn't make any sense.  New rule, if you are making an open world video game it has to be at least as dense as Skyrim.  Skyrim dropped in 2011, and if your game can't compete with a game that is over a decade old, you should probably rethink your game design.  This wasn't made by some indy developer who doesn't have experience building big games, this was made by Square, who has been making good to great open world games for decades.  At what point does someone in the office just look up and say, "Hold on, this shit sucks."  This feels like a self inflicted wound that they left to fester and just kept cutting off the infected parts until they didn't have anything left.  

Forspoken will be a perfectly fine $20ish game when it gets to that price point. I don’t know about the worst game of 2023, though.

Crime Boss: Rockay City or The Day Before might take that honor.

The only thing I heard that's positive about Forspoken are the graphics. Everything else, from the voiceovers to the combat to the story sounds like it's the shits. I don't even think I'll waste the bandwidth to download it for free once it hits PS+.

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Day Before - a Zombie MMO - that was supposed to release March 1 has been delayed to Nov 10

The reason you ask?

The developer says they forgot to trademark the game

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-day-before-developer-forgets-to-trademark-game-delays-release-for-nine-months

The game was previously delayed from 2022 to 2023 because, a couple weeks before the release date, the developers announced they were going to use Unreal Engine 5 instead of Unreal Engine 4.  There’s a fair bit of speculation online that the game doesn’t exist.

edit: the game was originally scheduled for a June 2022 release.  The studio announced in May 2022that they were switching to UE5 and delaying the game.  Is it even feasible to remake the game with an updated graphics engine in 8 months?

Edited by Doc Townsend

My co-worker is convinced this game is real and it’ll be amazing. I’ve been telling him for close to a year now that it’s vaporware and likely just a scheme from a Russian developer (who released a shitty prop hunt game before this).

And people on Reddit have done their research, and found out that the devs have known about the trademark thing since, I believe, November of 2022 but only recently went public with it.

And then there’s the whole “let’s get fans from the community to work on the game for us for free” and also concerning language on their website about the devs also being “volunteers”.

Edited by Casey

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

My co-worker is convinced this game is real and it’ll be amazing. I’ve been telling him for close to a year now that it’s vaporware and likely just a scheme from a Russian developer (who released a shitty prop hunt game before this).

I would think it’s a scheme but what’s the angle?  It’s not crowdfunded or available for preorder, so no money is changing hands.  Investors thwt we haven’t heard about?  Advertisers…somehow?  Attention?  It seems like a scam without a likely payoff.

Edited by Doc Townsend

The prevailing theory online seems to be that they’ll open preorders on their own website, as opposed to Steam where this is a refund policy.

It’s also shady as fuck that they claim it was removed from Steam because of a bug on Steam’s end, as opposed to, y’know, not having the copyright on their fuckin’ game title.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

There was an Xbox developer showcase yesterday, including dropping some kind of dance game last night or today. 

That, Redfall and Forza were 3 of the 5 or 6 games. No starfall. 

Yeah - that is where I got the Redfall video from

The dance game is Hi-Fi Rush who are the folks who did The Evil Within

When I posted about it when the showcase was announced, folks said Starfall is getting its own showcase later

Since this relates to Ubisoft games a) the games could be cancelled tomorrow and b) this could all be bullshit

Per reports - Far Cry 7 and a Far Cry multiplayer game are both being worked on. They were originally going to be one game but have since been split apart (some believe the all in one game was the live service game Jeff Grubb reported on a couple of years ago)

Both games will supposedly take place in the Alaskan Wilderness and the multiplayer game will be an extraction based shooter in the vein of COD: Warzone

The tentative release date for both is late 2025

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yeah, that's what the stream I watched said too. 

I know someone who is streaming that HI Fi Rush game today so I may watch to see what's it's like. 

(As I continue to just play NMS and slowly go thru HZD)

I've been playing it for the past half hour and it's incredibly fun.  The only problem if you can call it that is there's such a constant beat that is tied to every bit of the animation and as you go around.  So when you stop playing the game it legit can take a few minutes to stop tapping your foot.  Or it could be the coffee for me, who knows.  But as weird as that sounds you might see what I mean if you hopefully play it.  Either way I would definitely recommend it.

On 1/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, odessasteps said:

Like a Dragon: Ishin apparently has a cameo from a certain 7-star EVP, from posts I am seeing. 

It does. I have the game on pre-order anyway, because Yakuza/Like A Dragon games are my crack. Although the requirements for a Platinum require becoming a master at mahjong and shogi.

• Like 1

I had literally seen nothing of Redguard until today. So until today I thought it was probably going to be some kind of spinoff from the Elder Scrolls, something more linear. 

Now that I know what Redguard is, I'm not sure if I care about it anymore.

37 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I had literally seen nothing of Redguard until today. So until today I thought it was probably going to be some kind of spinoff from the Elder Scrolls, something more linear. 

Now that I know what Redguard is, I'm not sure if I care about it anymore.

Wait, is this just a re-release of a game from 1998????

Bloomberg (aka Jason Schreier) has a report regarding 343 and the future of Halo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-31/microsoft-studio-343-industries-undergoing-reorganization-of-halo-game-franchise

It is confirm that despite the recent layoffs, 343 will continue making new Halo games

However the studio is basically doing a reboot

No more new content for Halo Infinite

The studio is, finally, switching to the Unreal engine.

The first project that will use the Unreal engine is code named Tatanka (get your jokes in now) and is reportedly a Battle Royal game that potentially is now switching direction. No matter what the focus going forward will be on multiplayer