DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Casey said:

apparently the Suicide Squad game will have a “battle pass” even tho it’s not a traditional live service game. 

The follow up report is that the supposed "battle pass" will only contain cosmetic items

Microsoft laid on 10K people yesterday, including a decent chunk of people from 343 and Bethesda so if you were hoping to play Starfield any time soon maybe start making some alternate plans.

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Microsoft laid on 10K people yesterday, including a decent chunk of people from 343 and Bethesda so if you were hoping to play Starfield any time soon maybe start making some alternate plans.

It shouldn't affect Starfield. 

While layoffs suck, from what I understand from listening to a few different podcasts, Microsoft, among a couple other companies, essentially over hired following the pandemic. This is a shitty attempt to correct their own mistake instead of, I don't know, finding something else for those people to do. Either way, Redfall and Starfield should still be ok.

53 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It shouldn't affect Starfield. 

While layoffs suck, from what I understand from listening to a few different podcasts, Microsoft, among a couple other companies, essentially over hired following the pandemic. This is a shitty attempt to correct their own mistake instead of, I don't know, finding something else for those people to do. Either way, Redfall and Starfield should still be ok.

I have never even heard of a company over hiring,  this sounds like nonsense to me. I'm not saying it's impossible or that you are lying,  I'm saying you shouldn't trust any company that laid off 10K people because they accidently hired 10K extra employees. Who the fuck has accidently hires a small town worth of people while every other company on earth has never hired enough people to actually work efficiently?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have never even heard of a company over hiring,  this sounds like nonsense to me. I'm not saying it's impossible or that you are lying,  I'm saying you shouldn't trust any company that laid off 10K people because they accidently hired 10K extra employees. Who the fuck has accidently hires a small town worth of people while every other company on earth has never hired enough people to actually work efficiently?

Tech companies hired a bunch of people to fill in spots over the Pandemic to increase backend capacity to cover the massive uptick in network traffic everyone was experiencing.  Now, as things have normalized as much as they're going to, having that many people on payroll is bad for stock price, so, the tech industry overall is cutting heads and/or upgrading what they have to better talent.

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

Tech companies hired a bunch of people to fill in spots over the Pandemic to increase backend capacity to cover the massive uptick in network traffic everyone was experiencing.  Now, as things have normalized as much as they're going to, having that many people on payroll is bad for stock price, so, the tech industry overall is cutting heads and/or upgrading what they have to better talent.

What Raziel said.  Google / Alphabet just sacked a lot of people for the very same reasons.

• Like 1

And for what it's worth, I'm not excusing what these companies are doing. Microsoft is making money hand over fist and is in the process of a multi billion dollar aquisition of Activision. They're not hurting for money. Find other places to use this talent instead of cutting heads.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 9:48 PM, Craig H said:

And for what it's worth, I'm not excusing what these companies are doing. Microsoft is making money hand over fist and is in the process of a multi billion dollar aquisition of Activision. They're not hurting for money. Find other places to use this talent instead of cutting heads.

Yeah.  Google made $14B in profit in Q3 2022 alone.  Paying the 12,000 people they laid off $250k each would cost them $3B - roughly 20% of their profits for ONE quarter.  It's just flat out evil to cut staff when you're making huge profits like that.

• Like 1

Sadly, companies are beholden to their shareholders, not their employees.   Tech giants are not the sole perpetrators of this malice.  They get the most attention because it is in fashion to bash them.

Thing is, Google doesn’t want to make 9 billion. They want to make 12 billion.  I’ve worked major tech companies for more than 25 years.  I’ve heard a lot about loyalty to employees.  And I’ve never believed a word of it.

As soon as my current employer thinks they can make one penny more profit with me gone, I’m gone.  That’s always been my expectation.  And every major company is the same way.  

Is any of that good?   Probably not, but If you’re expecting something else going in, you’re fooling yourself.  

unrelated side note - typing this on my phone.  I originally typed cam instead of can.  When I went to correct it, my phone started up the camera, which was pointed in my lap.  I found that both awkward and funny.  Fortunately I got that fixed, and the board probably wouldn’t have embedded it anyway, so you were spared that image.  

44 minutes ago, Robert C said:

As soon as my current employer thinks they can make one penny more profit with me gone, I’m gone.  That’s always been my expectation.  And every major company is the same way.  

Personally, I don’t want my employee to keep me around if they don’t need me, don’t want me, can’t afford me, whatever.  They never guaranteed me lifetime employment and I don’t really need or want a pity paycheck.

my parents own a family business.  I guess if I never want a job for life, I’ll go work for them.

Heh, so it's not surprising, but Jeff Grubb went off on the whole subject of game and tech industry layoffs on the Game Mess Mornings podcast. Like, really went off, which makes sense because two people close to him were just laid off by Fandom. In addition to the point he made about each company making more money this year than the previous year, he went into something I wasn't aware of, which was some kind of law that prevents companies from just hiring and firing people to create a churn. That's a very loose definition, but anyway, so a lot of companies will wind up saying, ok, we're going to hire you on a 9 month contract and then we'll think about keep you on for another 3 months after. Then when the 9 months are up the contracts end and the employees are out of a job, but it's not defined as a layoff or a firing. It's the company's way of skirting around this law. Fuck, I should go back and re-listen to that part of the podcast for the complete details, but it's very prevalent in the games industry.

The other point that got brought up by Grubb is that these tech companies are essentially forcing a recession to happen. There was no guarantee of one happening and we even looked like we'd get through the next couple years without a recession with how things started to level out, but all of these tech companies have had it baked in that there would be a downturn, a downturn that's not even happening, so they're doing all of these huge layoffs ahead of when a downturn happens, essentially causing the downturn to happen, thus justifying their decisions. It was all really fucked up to say the least.

• Like 2

One other side note to all of this, I don't know why I even watched it because Bill Maher really gets on my nerves now, but he had Bill Barr on for his opening segment and for the Overtime segment. Barr mentioned there being a need to regulate and make many of these tech companies smaller. Microsoft may have been brought up, but an example he mentioned was splitting YouTube back away from Google. There was another example mentioned too. It at least started to make me think what it would be like if Xbox were forced to be a separate company away from Microsoft, or if the same happened to Playstation and Sony. I think the former would be ok, but the latter almost depends on Sony to stay alive at this point. It's crazy that it's been so many years now and Sony is still a fucking mess with Playstation being their main consistent lifeline.

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:
Dragon Age is going fine, just fine, everything's fine

The number of times Mac Walters has left Bioware rivals the number of Big Show heel turns

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The reviews are starting to come out for Forspoken and they are... not great

When they started saying you'd get 30 fps @ 1440p on the PC, I figured the reviews would be awful. 

54 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The reviews are starting to come out for Forspoken and they are... not great

I’ve seen several reviewers see they enjoyed the games later stages, but, yeah, on the whole, reviews aren’t great.  Same complaint people have been raising about the trailers and demo: story is dull, dialogue is banal.

I’m going to watch one of those boss fight videos on YouTube before I commit, but I’m still looking forward to it.  It looks like the kind of janky action-adventure that gets meh reviews, but I still end up loving (other examples: Echo, Valkyrie Elysium, Asura’s Wrath, etc.).