DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, Mario said:

Fair enough.  I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to put my NYE resolution into practice.  

And I’ll practice mine: best of luck with your chemo and recovery, genuinely. 

25 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Which I find hilarious because the show's actual politics is the exact opposite of those types of people (the Dutton's being a corrupt crime family using the government to their own means notwithstanding).

I’m not sure I agree with that. I think Taylor Sheridan’s personal politics are to some degree opposite of right-leaning people (although he’s taken a vague, “Republicans buy shoes, too” stance when given the opportunity to elaborate on his politics recently), but I think the show’s politics are far more muddled.

For instance, I think Sheridan is VERY sympathetic to the historical and ongoing plight of Native Americans and is attempting to convey that on the show…but when nearly every Native American character is introduced as an antagonist to the White protagonists—and the ones that aren’t are almost wholly defined by how they relate to White people, with little interior life beyond that—I don’t think it’s sending the message that he thinks it is.

59 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m not sure I agree with that. I think Taylor Sheridan’s personal politics are to some degree opposite of right-leaning people (although he’s taken a vague, “Republicans buy shoes, too” stance when given the opportunity to elaborate on his politics recently), but I think the show’s politics are far more muddled.

For instance, I think Sheridan is VERY sympathetic to the historical and ongoing plight of Native Americans and is attempting to convey that on the show…but when nearly every Native American character is introduced as an antagonist to the White protagonists—and the ones that aren’t are almost wholly defined by how they relate to White people, with little interior life beyond that—I don’t think it’s sending the message that he thinks it is.

To be fair, pretty much all the Native stuff was done better in S1 and the first half of S2.  Once the Beck Bros showed up, everything to do with Rainwater's goals went out the window.  I'm not mad at the Natives being antagonistic as much since the heel/face alignments of the show are pretty much GoT Prestige TV "everyone's a piece of shit, but it's all about where on the scale they fall".

22 hours ago, Raziel said:

To be fair, pretty much all the Native stuff was done better in S1 and the first half of S2.  Once the Beck Bros showed up, everything to do with Rainwater's goals went out the window.  I'm not mad at the Natives being antagonistic as much since the heel/face alignments of the show are pretty much GoT Prestige TV "everyone's a piece of shit, but it's all about where on the scale they fall".

Reading this stuff from you two, I honestly could easily mistake it for you guys talking about Sons of Anarchy.

Full trailer for Poker Face

Created, Written and Directed by Rian Johnson

Stars Natasha Lyonne

Since it is a "mystery of the week" show - the guest cast list is huge

Spoiler

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Adrien Brody, Stephanie Hsu, Benjamin Bratt, David Castañeda, Angel Desai, Audrey Corsa, Brandon Michael Hall, Charles Melton, Chelsea Frei, Cherry Jones, Chloë Sevigny, Clea DuVall, Colton Ryan, Danielle MacDonald, Dascha Polanco, Ellen Barkin, Hong Chau, Jasmine Aiyana Garvin, Jameela Jamil, Judith Light, Leslie Silva, Lil Rel Howery, Luis Guzmán, Megan Suri, Niall Cunningham, Nicholas Cirillo, Nick Nolte, Reed Birney, Rhea Perlman, Ron Perlman, Rowan Blanchard, S. Epatha Merkerson, Shane Paul McGhie, Simon Helberg, Tim Blake Nelson, and Tim Meadows.

• Like 1

If you've never watched the 1st regular ep. of Kokak you have to. Kojak is INSANELY OP and just literally superhuman in every way, like when it's absurd you will laugh but you will not believe how far it goes. It is a masterclass in ego release. Also some very familiar faces.

It's funny how much the show would become about police corruption and incompetence when it started as insanely reactionary copaganda.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:14 AM, RIPPA said:

Also, speaking of Taylor Sheridan

Nicole Kidman has joined the cast of Lioness, the CIA themed show he is doing for Paramount+

Oh, I’d have thought she signed onto that show thinking it was about people with bad plastic surgery who got lion faces. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, piranesi said:
If you've never watched the 1st regular ep. of Kokak you have to. Kojak is INSANELY OP and just literally superhuman in every way, like when it's absurd you will laugh but you will not believe how far it goes. It is a masterclass in ego release. Also some very familiar faces.

It's funny how much the show would become about police corruption and incompetence when it started as insanely reactionary copaganda.

One of my internet pals, comics writer Will Pfeifer, is a Kojak obsessive, esp the Xmas episode. 

Edited by odessasteps

On 1/6/2023 at 7:14 AM, RIPPA said:

Also, speaking of Taylor Sheridan

Nicole Kidman has joined the cast of Lioness, the CIA themed show he is doing for Paramount+

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

One of my internet pals, comics writer Will Pfeifer, is a Kojak obsessive, esp the Xmas episode. 

Eventually the lead role in a police procedural swallows us all.

So my holiday binge session included:

- 1899. Got 4 episodes in before tapping out last night, much to the chagrin of my wife who wanted to try the German version instead. Nup. Dull, dull and dull. Zero intrigue to what's going on after a semi-promising first episode that sets the table.

- Didn't mind Joe Pickett. Got a bit ridiculous in its concept towards the end, but ultimately, a pretty good cast. Paul Sparks is an underrated actor.

- I'm really enjoying Tulsa King for what it is. Andrea Savage is so so *settle down guerrillanetico*. I'd also recommend I'm Sorry if you're a fan there too. Great cast, ridiculous concept that doesn't take itself too seriously and the long episodes go pretty quickly.

- Dahmer was fairly inconsistent. I felt like it took too many liberties with inventing characters and memorable incidents from his past to cultivate a character that didn't need to be cultivated, because it's Jeffrey Dahmer. You don't need to overstate that. It was decent enough without being worthy of the hype.

- Enjoyed Bel-Air. First few eps weren't fantastic and just so many pointless callbacks to a point where it felt like a parody of Cobra Kai. I thought it managed to find its identity and was able to produce some really good storylines towards the end. Looking forward to s2 in a few months time.

- Secrets of Playboy was pretty difficult viewing given the subject matter. There was some absolutely horrific stories told and were covered up for so long. I feel as though we still as a society understate what an evil fucker Hefner was.

- Lincoln Lawyer feels like poor man's poor man's Suits, but it passed the time and was something I could watch with my wife. Good cast. Dumb script. Angus Sampson's American accent is possibly the worst I've ever seen. I'm up for a season 2 sorta?

- George & Tammy I'm somewhere between enjoying and background noise. There's not much I don't enjoy Jessica Chastain in. It feels as though they're really struggling to get the most out of a fairly nothing script that could have worked better as a movie, rather than 6 hrs of TV.

- Started one ep of Station Eleven and a rewatch of The State. Looking forward to watching more of both. 

- W1A wasn't terrible - nice mockumentary of the BBC, just so many one-note characters hammered to death over three seasons. Two would have been more than sufficient here.

- Under The Banner Of Heaven was a chore, but I finished it out of curiosity to see how it ends. And I still don't get it. Unusually controversial content for Disney. Andrew Garfield is really good in it though. His serious roles have been consistently fantastic.

- Irreverent was kinda fun and stupid on Netflix. About a Chicago criminal who gets rolled by a priest at the airport out of millions, and is forced to steal his identity as a priest in a rural Australian beachside town. Looking forward to season 2, it gets a tepid recommendation.

- Gave up on In From The Cold after two episodes. Dumb concept with horrible CGI to make it look even worse. No thanks.

- Got four episodes into A Spy Among Friends, mostly as I'll watch anything with Guy Pearce and Damian Lewis. Except this apparently. It was just droll. 4 hours of droll one liners being exchanged about the same thing. 

It technically is an upcoming movie (well was) but it makes more sense here

Adam DeVine announced that Paramount has cancelled the planned Workaholics movie

Apparently Paramount said the movie no longer fits their "global strategy"

I got Paramount+ over the weekend, mainly to watch the first three Mission Impossible movies, but then I found a show called BrainDead and I gave it a shot because I like Danny Pino, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Tony Shalhoub. This show was on CBS?! It definitely feels like something that should have been on Showtime instead. I really like it too, and it sucks knowing the season probably ends with a cliffhanger or something for S2 that'll never happen. But I'm going to finish it anyway.

They also have Wings on there, so that's awesome. I love that show, total comfort food type show for me.

• Like 1

GREASE: RISE OF THE PINK LADIES

Starring Marisa Davila, Cheyenne Isabel Wells, Ari Notartomaso, and Tricia Fukuhara

Premieres April 6 on Paramount+

--

This is the show your mom will be bothering you to watch all summer.