DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK 17 (Clean Version)

Just Adam Bay Bay

15 hours ago, dogwelder said:

If they don't make the playoffs, that means they end up at best 8-8-1.  That would give Rivera a three year mark of 22-35-1.  Consider also that in his 11 previous seasons prior to this year he's only had 3 winning seasons and that was with a MVP-caliber QB in Cam Newton.  Rivera might be a good motivator, but he's not a good head coach and he's not a good talent evaluator.

As someone who watched all of those Panthers years.... Rivera took the nickname way too seriously and tried to build his entire shtick on it, and you can't. It doesn't cover up the flaws.

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Looking ahead (and obviously the results of this weekend will be the big factor) to what Week 18 game will be flexed to SNF (in my rough order of Network preference)

• Bengals at Ravens (could be for AFC North)
  • Titans at Jags (winner takes the terrible AFC South)
  • Lions at Packers (for last NFC WC - if Washington loses Sunday, I would put this game ahead of Titans/Jags)
  • Dallas at Washington
  • NYG at Philly

- I doubt it gets to the NFC East games but their is a chance the NFC East title is still on the line (and possibly a WC) and the NFL is not gonna complain about putting Dallas or NY in prime time

Just now, RIPPA said:

Looking ahead (and obviously the results of this weekend will be the big factor) to what Week 18 game will be flexed to SNF (in my rough order of Network preference)

• Lions at Packers (for last NFC WC - if Washington loses Sunday, I would put this game ahead of Titans/Jags)
  • Dallas at Washington
  • NYG at Philly

- I doubt it gets to the NFC East games but their is a chance the NFC East title is still on the line (and possibly a WC) and the NFL is not gonna complain about putting Dallas or NY in prime time

If I have to watch one more goddamn NFC East game in prime time I am stabbing myself in the eyes.

(I don't know if there have been that many but it feels like there have been 2049,55 NFC East Prime Time games this year)

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If I have to watch one more goddamn NFC East game in prime time I am stabbing myself in the eyes.

(I don't know if there have been that many but it feels like there have been 2049,55 NFC East Prime Time games this year)

What if Dallas and Philadelphia get a prime time playoff game against each other? The only reason I’m suggesting that was ESPNs simulation made me realize how likely that outcome is.

Well again - it is always about eyeballs on TV screens

Dallas will always get the max number of Prime Time games allowed. They could go 0-17 and the next season still have max Prime Time games

Last year - was I believe the first year in my life (or at least that I remember) that the Giants had no scheduled prime time games (outside of the required Thursday night game)

I am biased since the team I love and the team I hate are both in the NFC East but I would rather watch them then the parade of AFC South games you frequently have to suffer through 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Well again - it is always about eyeballs on TV screens

Dallas will always get the max number of Prime Time games allowed. They could go 0-17 and the next season still have max Prime Time games

Last year - was I believe the first year in my life (or at least that I remember) that the Giants had no scheduled prime time games (outside of the required Thursday night game)

I am biased since the team I love and the team I hate are both in the NFC East but I would rather watch them then the parade of AFC South games you frequently have to suffer through 

Which NFC East team do you hate the most? 

Personally I hate the Eagles the most, because I know more Eagles fans than I do Cowboys ones, and they’re at least twice as obnoxious too. 

Just now, LF2 said:

Which NFC East team do you hate the most? 

Personally I hate the Eagles the most, because I know more Eagles fans than I do Cowboys ones, and they’re at least twice as obnoxious too. 

Rippa hates the Commanders, I think partly because he's lived in the DC area for a while now and the local media tend to shove the team down people's throats no matter how good or bad they are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Rippa hates the Commanders, I think partly because he's lived in the DC area for a while now and the local media tend to shove the team down people's throats no matter how good or bad they are.

Anyone who knows Rippa knows, he hates the Giants the most.  

• Haha 6

42 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

• Dallas at Washington
  • NYG at Philly

I really hope they go Titans/Jaguars. The NFL does love them some "win or go home" games.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Speaking of teams that the NFL loves to put on at unique times, the Bills became the first team since the 1962 Boston Patriots to win six non-Sunday games in a single season. And could win another on Monday. That's a very odd record to have.

I'd guess it was hard to do before the relatively recent invention of the Thursday game. Otherwise, you'd just have MNF, Thanksgiving and the last 2 weeks of the years when you had Saturday games. 

Well Saturday games have always been a thing - it just wasn't frequent. (mainly just adjust due to Christmas)

But teams are going to continue to have more non-Sunday games - like with the addition of Black Friday games and talk of 2 MNF games

• Like 1

Course the other trick is you actually have to win them, Bills are 6-0 on non-Sunday games. So they'll end up playing seven non-Sunday games this year total, which still feels a little excessive for teams that like having a routine. But probably will be the new normal for the better teams that the NFL wants to showcase on their own timeslot. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

It's always interesting to examine the relationship of the NFC East teams and their fans to each other, especially local vs non-local fans. 

I live in NY (I’m closer to PA than NYC, and about an equal distance between Philadelphia and NYC) but I know more Eagles fans than Giants fans. Oddly I know at least a half dozen Vikings fans too. I (thankfully) only know one Commanders fan. 

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well Saturday games have always been a thing - it just wasn't frequent. (mainly just adjust due to Christmas)

But teams are going to continue to have more non-Sunday games - like with the addition of Black Friday games and talk of 2 MNF games

I didnt think about Xmas/NYE shifting games to other days of the week. I was just thinking about Thanksgiving.

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Derek Carr has left the Raiders facilities and gone home, so his season is over.  

Davante Adams is also expected to request a trade in the off-season.

Things are going swell, why do you ask?

No, see it’s ok.  The Raiders explained that they met with Carr and mutually decided that, in order not to be a distraction, it would be best for Carr to go home for the rest of the year.  So, to recap, media and fans are going to talk about the story if you bench your starting qb.  Not going to talk about the story if your starting qb takes his ball and goes home with a few weeks left in the season (lol, that wasn’t meant to be a pun, but, since it is, I’m leaving it in).

I’m glad the team clarified for me.  That isn’t the way I think these things work.  I think sending your qb home with games to play pretty much guarantees that your qb situation is going to be the story every day until the end of this nightmare season.

My favorite new rumor is that Las Vegas is now the front runner in the Tom Brady sweepstakes.

Edited by Mario
I’m too lazy to proofread
  • Haha 1

Derek Carr is not great,  but we've known that for years,  but he seems like the kind of guy who you let play the rest of the season because he's a good dude who stood tall when all the bad shit was going on last season. He's most likely gone at the end of the season,  but benching him now seems strange especially when the back up isn't the QB of the future.