DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite New Year's Smash - 12/28/2022

7 hours ago, LF2 said:

They’ve missed the boat on Eddie so many times. Between that title and not having him and Mox beat the Bucks when they were feuding for the tag belts.

Careful. Pointing that out gets some folks worked up around here. That was steaming dogshit. Not only should King & Mox have won, they should’ve steamrolled the Bucks…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Miro should've dropped it to Kingston on his way up to challenge Hangman for the belt.

100%. I've said that a lot. Miro should have dropped the TNT Championship to Eddie Kingston at AEW All Out 2021 or AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021.

8 hours ago, LF2 said:

They’ve missed the boat on Eddie so many times. Between that title and not having him and Mox beat the Bucks when they were feuding for the tag belts.

This. You can only have someone lose so many times to become a choker. See Lex Luger and Hirooki Goto.

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

yhea Eddie cut a promo on Miro after taking the loss then.... nothing 

This.

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed, Eddie/Mox would've made awesome tag champs, and I also think it does a lot for the tag titles to have a couple main event singles guys like them hold them once in a while (especially if so many tag teams are also wrapped up in trios - Bucks, Best Friends, Lucha Bros, Dark Order just off the top of my head). I also think more egregious than either example though, was the loss to Jericho in that death match. Regardless of the 'visual win' with Jericho taking the bump at the end, it just didn't have the same gravity behind it - especially with the 'cant win the big one' etc. from Jericho in the build. I understand wanting to preserve that Dreamer-like perennial underdog thing with Eddie, or perhaps Eddie IRL doesn't want to be a champion due to personal reasons, but his 'arc' at some point is going to require a big win, and I thought that one was the perfect opportunity 

I thought Jon Moxley/Eddie Kingston were the right team to beat the Bucks for the AEW World Tag Team Championship at AEW Double or Nothing 2021 like #FTR should have beat the Bucks for them this year but that didn't happen and we get the Elite vs. Death Triangle for the AEW World Trios Championship instead.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Wardlow has to be pissed after that finish. He gets his legs cut (no pun intended) out from under him to put over Samoa Joe because if all men were created equal, you look at Wardlow and you look at Samoa Joe and you know that's not true.  I don't see the long-term payoff for this due to a) Samoa Joe isn't young anymore and he's injury prone, b) Darby Allin already has a run at the title and c) it completely wrecks the build up for Wardlow.

I guess we'll see Wardlow, Samoa Joe & Darby Allin at a three way dance at Sacrifice - I mean, Battle of the Belts V.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Is that an Island that Japan claims they own?

Awww, please don't take The Forge away from us (if she's in the Illinois Bloomington, that is. You can have Indiana's. In fact you can just have Indiana if you cut out some of the capital.)

I missed the start of the show but Top Flight should have won for sure. I didn't mind Wardlow losing because we get a HAIR MATCH! Probably. Ruby... well, I had higher hopes for this one, and it didn't succeed. Ruby IS Eddie's friend, you know, so she'll probably always lose. Oh and those nutters definitely don't need a ladder match after all that, someone is gonna be horribly injured. 

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I just wanted to point out how much fun that episode was with such a hot crowd. They were into everything. Dueling Danielson / Ethan Page chants. Losing it during Top Flight vs Combat Club. Loud Ruby chants. Loving the Trios Match. More audiences like this please.

Seemed a bit of a heel crowd. Cheers for Joe and Hayter (Hayters been trending a but babyface anyway though)

16 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I just wanted to point out how much fun that episode was with such a hot crowd. They were into everything. Dueling Danielson / Ethan Page chants. Losing it during Top Flight vs Combat Club. Loud Ruby chants. Loving the Trios Match. More audiences like this please.

We're a great wrestling crowd out here in CO. We had a great time. My nephew hasn't seen much AEW and his new favorite team is Top Flight. We left after Dynamite and skipped Rampage as there's a blizzard. It took us over an hour to get home and normally it'd be 20 minutes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great show!  RIP Wardlow's man bun and Darius Martin's shoulder.  Good to see that the booking is nearly back to form following all of the drama.  

I was surprised that Ruby ate the pin in the women's tag.  I am happy to see that Willow Nightingale is not just the worker that jobs anymore.  There needs to be satisfying revenge, tho, preferably in a weapons match with No DQ.

Joe's reign as King of Television must last for the next three to four hundred days at the bare minimum.

I am happy that the Trios journey through pain and madness will go to a seventh and decisive match, but can Death Triangle kill The Elite already?

Jungle Jack Perry and Hook are mad over.  Can we get some tag matches now, please?

Any card where Ethan Page is comatose on the mat blowing bubbles out of his mouth is alright by me.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Considering I was getting crap for being too negative here, I thought tonight's show was very good. I think everything really worked and ran smoothly tonight from a booking and in-ring standpoint. Loved that The Acclaimed had a new insult rap video. I think making Joe assaulting Wardlow the running storyline throughout the show was a good choice. Like it felt they were actually building the main event throughout the whole show.

Tonight's show just felt like a more cohesive wrestling show if that makes any sense. Everyone seemed to maximize their air time.

Moxley and Claudio vs. Top Flight was a lot of fun, and Claudio is really good and connected with the fans. Danielson vs. Ethan Page was also a great match. 

Like a good show up and down tonight.

35 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Wardlow has to be pissed after that finish. He gets his legs cut (no pun intended) out from under him to put over Samoa Joe because if all men were created equal, you look at Wardlow and you look at Samoa Joe and you know that's not true.  I don't see the long-term payoff for this due to a) Samoa Joe isn't young anymore and he's injury prone, b) Darby Allin already has a run at the title and c) it completely wrecks the build up for Wardlow.

I guess we'll see Wardlow, Samoa Joe & Darby Allin at a three way dance at Sacrifice - I mean, Battle of the Belts V.

Personally, I wouldn't have Wardlow lose to Joe like this at this point in his career. But at least they made it more of a circumstance of Joe sneak attacking Wardlow and softening him up earlier in the night, and Wardlow playing the valiant, yet stupid, babyface role by going forth with the match anyway despite the attack ala Sting vs. Rick Rude at Clash of the Champions.

I'm concerned if they can rebuild Wardlow after this, but we shall see. I like Joe and everything, but if you are sacrificing Wardlow at the cost of simply building up Joe more, it's not a price that I think is worth it. But we'll see how it plays out.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

All the matches were great (excluding the squash), even if the Wardlow angle is totally weird.

Really enjoy the ongoing elevations of Top Flight and Willow Nightengale. BCC-Top Flight was my MOTN, great to see the Martins go toe-to-toe and blow for blow in addition to their high flying offense. Meanwhile Mox and Claudio sell like champs while inflicting glorious wrestling violence. Claudio’s last uppercut was gnarly!

Page and Bryan was solid, Page took a beating and Bryan gladly delivered. I hate the MJF in the skybox thing but it wasn’t nearly as bad as during the Mox buildup. The Regal Stretch (which I don’t think the announcers called) was a nice touch.

One of these days Ruby will get some measure of revenge, right? I too assume this will setup another unsanctioned battle like last year, but with TayJay as the heels this time around.

Hook and Jungle Jack are very popular with the fans, not so much with me.

Main was a lot of BMMSM with a couple of big moves from Wardlow, well fought and laid out but the aftermath doesn’t make sense.

Lastly, another classic Acclaimed music video, not only was Caster’s flow the best I’ve heard yet but it was a total ether job on Jarrett without one single falsehood. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Of course Ruby Soho had to eat the pin.  one step forward, 3 steps back

Yeah, Ruby keeps on losing. The big matches vs. Dr Britt Baker at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021 for the AEW Women's World Championship and the finals of the Owen Hart Cup Tournament at AEW Double or Nothing 2022.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I like Ruby and want her to get a push, but this is kind of the rough thing about the business. Not everyone gets the push and not everyone can win all the time. And I want them to at least commit to pushing or building up someone.

And what was hurting AEW was having too many people, diluting the product with ROH and having too many belts. Too many people that needed pushing, and then some good talents getting lost in the shuffle and disappearing for months on end.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I think Ruby is turning heel. They need fresh heels on the women’s side, especially if you-know-who is coming in.

My favorite Ruby run was her post knee injury Riot Squad heel work, so I’m here for it.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

I have zero problem with Wardlow losing this match. Wardlow doesn’t need more wins. He’s gotten almost nothing but wins for the past year, and none of them have helped him get any more over since May. What Wardlow NEEDS, and what he hasn’t had since MJF, is a worthy nemesis that can give people a REASON to get behind him.

That’s what Joe is doing right now. And I think there’s a lot of juice left to squeeze out of Wardlow chasing him.

And just as a cherry on top, Joe brings immense credibility to everything he’s involved with, and that now includes the TNT title.

• Like 20