DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2022

Dolfan in NYC

Fair play to both. You have to feel sorry for Jack Catterall putting all the years in, the weight cuts to lose what people are saying is one of the worst robberies ever when he should be the undisputed light-welterweight world champion holding all the belts. Will there be a rematch? Think Taylor will vacate moving up in weight. With the different hovering bodies having to crown a new champion and the different rankins, that chance for Catterall is gone unless there's said rematch.

21 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Two years in the making?

Golovkin-Murata? I think they were talking about that when Murata first held the "regular" WBA middleweight title and that was awhile ago now.

The British Boxing Board of Control has 'downgraded' a judge for his controversial scorecard in Josh Taylor's fight with Jack Catterall.

The undisputed light-welterweight clash in Glasgow saw Scottish champion Taylor awarded a split-decision win.

Ian John-Lewis scored the bout 114-111 in Taylor's favour, prompting a review.

The BBBoC denied the official's scorecard affected the "overall result of the contest", but it took "issue with his margin" of victory for Taylor.

The other two judges marked the contest closer, with Howard Foster going for Catterall by 113-112 and Victor Laughlin giving it to Taylor - who was knocked down in the eighth round - by a score of 113-112.

In a statement, the board said: "Having considered Mr Ian John-Lewis' explanation, the Stewards of the Board decided to downgrade Mr John-Lewis from an A Star Class to an A Class Official.

"The board has contacted the WBO, WBC, IBF and WBA, supporting Jack Catterall to be made mandatory challenger for each or all championship sanctioning bodies."

Damn right Jack Catterall should be mandatory challenger for all the belts.

Spoiler

Taylor, 31, was fighting on home soil against Englishman Catterall, 28, and says he has suffered "personal attacks" on him and his family members since the result of February's meeting.

He intends to move up in weight, shattering hopes of an immediate rematch and it is unlikely Catterall will be given a second chance to become undisputed light-welterweight champion.

Taylor's a bottler and deluded thinking he won that fight.

Okay, I thought the Bellator main event was good but then I watched Leigh Wood vs. Michael Conlan and holy fucking shit. Watch that fight ASAP.

I think that's one of the greatest finishes to a boxing fight I've ever seen. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Okay, I thought the Bellator main event was good but then I watched Leigh Wood vs. Michael Conlan and holy fucking shit. Watch that fight ASAP.

I think that's one of the greatest finishes to a boxing fight I've ever seen. 

Spoiler

Hope it'll be added to YouTube.

Yesterday was the 17th anniversary of one of my favorite fights ever: Morales vs. Pacquiao I from March 19, 2005. Not only was it an amazing fight, but it had some sort of butterfly effect for Manny's career. If Manny had dominated Morales like he did Morales' hated rival Marco Antonio Barrera in his breakout performance that launched him a year and some change prior to this fight, in all likelihood, Manny stays extremely dependent on his left hand and continues to neglect using his right hand more which would be his Sunday punch for the back half of his boxing career. Anyway, enjoy.

• Like 1

After watching Berchelt/Nakathila, I feel like Berchelt is going to be one of those Mexican fighters who ends his career with a barely or right at .500 win loss record. In addition to that, it's going to be hard to explain that at one time he was one of the best fighters in the sport. At 30, you're suppose to be able to fight on probably for another 5-10 years. Miguel Berchelt probably shouldn't fighting another 5-10 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Golovkin came out and established the jab in round 1 and then looked real real hittable in rounds 2 and 3. 4-6 saw Golovkin start to come out of his shell and take over the fight and following that it was an onslaught. Don't like his chances against Canelo if that's what's next but I'm down to watch. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Golovkin came out and established the jab in round 1 and then looked real real hittable in rounds 2 and 3. 4-6 saw Golovkin start to come out of his shell and take over the fight and following that it was an onslaught. Don't like his chances against Canelo if that's what's next but I'm down to watch. 

Granted he got a highlight reel KO at the end, I think Golovkin looked a bit washed against Steve Rolls. That's even taken to account that Rolls just fought and took Edgar Berlanga to the cards a few weeks ago. Just like a lot of older fighters, he has power left and nothing much else.

• 2 weeks later...

Spence/Ugas was a neat fight despite it being relatively one sided. Spence continues to be the best action fighter going though I don't know if he can leave that many openings up against somebody as good as Crawford (if we ever get to see that one). 

I expected Spence to win handily, but I didn't see him doing Ugas like he did Kell Brook and break his goddamn orbital bone. Defensively, much like many Cuban fighters, Ugas pretty good. And unlike MANY Cuban fighters, Ugas can kill you with volume. Outside that shaky moment where Errol decided the ref had called a break when he didn't and went looking for his mouthpiece, Ugas didn't do jackshit. Spence soundly beat the breaks off Ugas. 

The thing I like about Crawford though is once he's figured you out, you're pretty much done. His fight IQ is super high so even if makes a mistake, he doesn't make it twice. He's not going to sit there and let Spence just utterly tee off on him. 

I really would love to see the matchup just because it forced both guys to fight outside their comfort zone for more than just a round or two. Against their toughest opposition, they might struggle for one or two rounds. Then it's back to business as usual. I don't think that would be the case against each other.

2204-Fury_Whyte_672x940.jpg

Fury vs. Whyte 
April 23, 2022
London, England, United Kingdom (Wembley Stadium)

WBC & The Ring Magazine Heavyweight Championship: Tyson Fury © (264.8vs. Dillian Whyte (253.25) - Fury, TKO (referee stoppage), R6 (2:59)
- WBC (second defense)
- Ring Magazine (second defense)

Ekow Essuman (146.5) vs. Darren Tetley (145.75) - Essuman, DEC (unanimous)
Isaac Lowe (125.25) vs. Nick Ball (125.5) - Ball, TKO (referee stoppage), R6 (1:45)
David Adeleye (232.4) vs. Chris Healey (282) - Adeleye, TKO (referee stoppage), R4 (0:52)
Tommy Fury (177.75) vs. Daniel Bocianski (175) - Fury, DEC (unanimous)
Karol Itauma (175.75) vs. Michal Ciach (175.75) - Itauma, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:27)
Kurt Walker (129) vs. Stefan Nicolae (127.4) - Walker, DEC (unanimous)
Royston Barney-Smith (132) vs. Constantin Radoi (132) - Barney-Smith, DEC (unanimous)

Attendance
Buyrate

55 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Francis and Fury boxing rules with mma gloves, was that what I heard?

I don't imagine anything happens unless it happens under UFC auspices. I would also think Frank Warren and Top Rank would have a say as well.