DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK 14

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Tom Brady is a really interesting case, because he's most likely the greatest of all time, while he was rarely the greatest at any one time.  Year to year, I'd say Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodges, and Patrick Mahomes have been better than him, but when you add everything else, he's greatness surpasses them with longevity and consistency.  

To paraphrase Jay Z, A QB has never been this good for this long.

Even his longevity has involved a ton of luck. In any other era he would be physically unable to play this game since before this year IMO. And say I’m wrong well that roughing hit they called against the Falcons would wouldn’t have been called. I know that was only 1 play but it’s a part of his legacy. That’s how bad of a call it was at just the perfect time like always. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Even his longevity has involved a ton of luck. In any other era he would be physically unable to play this game since before this year IMO. And say I’m wrong well that roughing hit they called against the Falcons would wouldn’t have been called. I know that was only 1 play but it’s a part of his legacy. That’s how bad of a call it was at just the perfect time like always. 

Sure, to some extent. But Peyton is less than two years older than him, entered the league just two years earlier, and retired as an absolute broken down shell 7 years ago.

Eli, Philip Rivers, and Ben Rothlisberger came into the league four years after him, played a with all the same protections and rules. Eli was done after 2019, Rivers after 2020, Ben after last year, and he was a broken down shell for the last two years he played.

Aaron Rodgers looks to be physically falling apart right now, and he's like six or seven years younger.

Meanwhile, Brady is 45, having a "bad" season where he's thrown for over 3,300 yards, fifth best in the league, 16 touchdowns, which is tied for 14th, and just 3 picks.

He's unprecedented.

• Like 1

They wouldn’t have played as long as they did either had they not played in this era. Rodgers has more touchdowns and barely less yards this season. If that doesn’t blow that up just look at Drew Brees. He was trash for more than a season but not if you go by bare bones stats and the 1 time he didn’t get luck vs the Rams his homers are still crying about it. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Sure, to some extent. But Peyton is less than two years older than him, entered the league just two years earlier, and retired as an absolute broken down shell 7 years ago.

Eli, Philip Rivers, and Ben Rothlisberger came into the league four years after him, played a with all the same protections and rules. Eli was done after 2019, Rivers after 2020, Ben after last year, and he was a broken down shell for the last two years he played.

Aaron Rodgers looks to be physically falling apart right now, and he's like six or seven years younger.

Meanwhile, Brady is 45, having a "bad" season where he's thrown for over 3,300 yards, fifth best in the league, 16 touchdowns, which is tied for 14th, and just 3 picks.

He's unprecedented.

I was talking to my coworker about how good of a season Kevin Durant is having at 34, and he said "it isn't like he's 80." There are only about 10 basketball players over 35 in the NBA and other than LeBron and Chris Paul,  they're all clearly cooked. Tom Brady playing football at all at 45 is crazy, playing at a fairly high level at 45 is batshit fucking insane. 

There's some serious Josh Freeman potential brewing right here, kids.

Only Freeman was with the Vikings for ten days, which is five times longer than Mayfield has been with the Rams.

Edited by Gonzo

45 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

That's very generous of you.

I mean, he's not tearing it up, but the man had one practice. He's completing around 60% of his passes to guys he might very well have met yesterday.

It's circumstantial, but given these circumstances, it could've been a lot worse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I mean, he's not tearing it up, but the man had one practice. He's completing around 60% of his passes to guys he might very well have met yesterday.

It's circumstantial, but given these circumstances, it could've been a lot worse.

I'll admit I found myself rooting for him, the Raiders played so soft on offense just assuming the Rams couldn't score, they deserve to lose.

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'll admit I found myself rooting for him, the Raiders played so soft on offense just assuming the Rams couldn't score, they deserve to lose.

That dumbass penalty too

4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

There's some serious Josh Freeman potential brewing right here, kids.

Only Freeman was with the Vikings for ten days, which is five times longer than Mayfield has been with the Rams.

I should try watching football sometime.

In the span of a month, Josh McDaniels has lost games to a team whose coach was an ESPN analyst six days before the game and a team whose quarterback was with a different team two days before the game.

And somehow managed to win three straight in between those two games.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 4

Happy for Baker to get that mental & emotional win tonight. The Browns treated him like garbage, it didn't workout in Carolina, he was on the verge of fading into backup status for the rest of his career. That win was huge for his confidence. And if he can play at a similar level for the last few games he's gonna have some starter offers for next year.

I love when dudes who have been wronged bet on themselves and it works out.

• Like 2

Wow I just saw the score and cannot believe it. I had it on the radio on the way home with 9 something left in the game IIRC. The Raiders had gotten a first down after the Rams missed FG that left the Raiders in Rams territory. 

Even if it was typical scripted bullshit at the end, how did the Raiders blow it in the short meantime? How did they give up a touchdown before the typical end? Then give it back?

Baker is awesome ftw. 

15 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Wow I just saw the score and cannot believe it. I had it on the radio on the way home with 9 something left in the game IIRC. The Raiders had gotten a first down after the Rams missed FG that left the Raiders in Rams territory. 

Even if it was typical scripted bullshit at the end, how did the Raiders blow it in the short meantime? How did they give up a touchdown before the typical end? Then give it back?

Baker is awesome ftw. 

They freaking slapped the ball out of Baker's hand after a sack. 15 free yards and a stopped clock to a team with no timeouts. 

57 minutes ago, Tabe said:

They freaking slapped the ball out of Baker's hand after a sack. 15 free yards and a stopped clock to a team with no timeouts. 

Legitimately one of the dumbest penalties I've ever seen.

Like, why the fuck would you do that?

But also give Baker and his receivers credit, there were a couple of really damn good throws into really tight windows that led to really good catches after the penalty.

• Like 1