DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF GOIN' BOWLING! - 2022-23

Raziel

Ohio State at least has a puncher’s chance against Georgia because they have one of the two best QBs and the best WR room in the country. The one “weakness” of Kirby Smart’s defensive scheme (if you can call it that) is that he’ll give you the low-percentage throws all day. Against most teams that’s a winning strategy. But as we’ve seen in the 2021 SEC title game, the 2020 games against Bama and Florida…if the opponent has the dudes to make those low percentage plays, Georgia can be hurt badly.

But you’ve gotta be able to protect to have those opportunities, and I’m not sure OSU can block Georgia’s defensive front. At least not consistently enough.

And they’re going to need to score a lot, because UGA can do the exact same thing to their defense as Michigan did. I don’t foresee many stops for the OSU defense in this game.

Edited by EVA

TCU is a great story, and on paper Michigan/TCU looks like an interesting style matchup, but historically these semifinal games are won convincingly by The Team With Dudes. And Michigan has way more Dudes than TCU.

TCU is actually sub-50% on the Blue Chip Ratio. Only once in the playoff era has a below-threshold team advanced to the finals—2014 Oregon, behind Heisman winner Marcus Mariota (who were subsequently thumped handily by Ohio State in the finals).

I absolutely can see a path where Harrison Jr, Egbuka, and possibly a finally healthy JSN light up the score board. If Ohio can stay hit enough of those quick game short passes to stay out of third and long and not need Stroud to hold the ball long, it's still the most dangerous group of weapons in the country.

And I don't expect Knowles to bring a total cover 1/cover 0 package to the Peach Bowl.

Still, all that said, the most likely result remains Georgia choking them out in one of those "they won by 15 but it felt like 40" games.

typing out all the Bowl Game announcements that got posts on CFB

• Florida State/Oklahoma - Cheez-It Bowl (presumably the bad one. EDIT: Cheez-It sponsors two bowls but apparently Oklahoma is going to the former Citrus Bowl?)
  • Kansas/Arkansas - Liberty Bowl
  • Connecticut/Marshall - Myrtle Beach Bowl
  • San Jose State/Eastern Michigan - Idaho Bowl
  • East Carolina/Coastal Carolina - Birmingham Bowl
  • Georgia Southern/Buffalo - Camellia Bowl
  • South Alabama/Western Kentucky - New Orleans Bowl
  • Houston/Louisiana-Lafayette - Independence Bowl
  • Fresno State/Washington State - Los Angeles Bowl
  • Boise State/North Texas - Frisco Bowl
  • Troy/UTSA - Cure Bowl
  • SMU/BYU - New Mexico Bowl

Edited by Cobra Commander

mas juegos de bowl:

• Toledo/Liberty - Boca Raton Bowl
  • Ohio/Wyoming - Arizona Bowl
  • Utah State/Memphis - First Responder Bowl
  • Tennessee/Clemson - Orange Bowl
  • Washington/Texas - Alamo Bowl
  • Alabama/K-State - Sugar Bowl
  • Bowling Green/New Mexico State - Quick Lane Bowl

Bowls I haven't mentioned in the last hour

• UAB/Miami of Ohio - Bahamas Bowl (announced like a week ago)
  • Louisville/Cincinnati - Fenway Bowl (announced a day or two ago)
  • Rice/Southern Miss - LendingTree Bowl
  • Middle Tennessee State/San Diego State - Hawaii Bowl (announced a few days ago)

Also, no official matchups for the Armed Forces Bowl, the Gasparilla Bowl, Guaranteed Rate Bowl, Military Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Texas Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, Duke's Mayo Bowl, Gator Bowl, Music City Bowl or ReliaQuest Bowl. Rumors are probably out there for each one but there's still even more bowls to be announced.

The Bowl tie-ins for the bowl games without matchups in Wikipedia

• Armed Forces: AAC vs CUSA
  • Gasparilla: AAC/ACC/SEC/Notre Dame
  • Guaranteed Rate: Big 12/Big Ten
  • Military: AAC/ACC
  • Liberty (not officially Arkansas/Kansas?): Big 12/SEC
  • Holiday: ACC/Pac 12
  • Texas: Big 12/SEC
  • Pinstripe: ACC/Big Ten
  • Cheez-It (not officially Oklahoma/Florida State): ACC/Big 12
  • Duke's Mayo: ACC/Big Ten
  • Gator: ACC/SEC
  • Music City: Big Ten/SEC
  • ReliaQuest: Big Ten/SEC

So yeah, something is holding things up on the tarmac here.

Edit: MORE BOWLS

• Air Force/Baylor - Armed Forces Bowl
  • Texas Tech/Ole Miss - Texas Bowl
  • Wisconsin/Oklahoma State - Guaranteed Rate Bowl

• Mizzou/Wake Forest - Gasparilla Bowl
  • Duke/UCF - Military Bowl
  • Kentucky/Iowa - Music City Bowl
  • Syracuse/Minnesota - Pinstripe Bowl
  • South Carolina/Notre Dame - Gator Bowl
  • Oregon/North Carolina - Holiday Bowl
  • NC State/Maryland - Duke's Mayo Bowl
  • Illinois/Mississippi State - ReliaQuest Bowl

I guess someone remembered that Maryland played in the Pinstripe Bowl last year (beating Virginia Tech 54-10).. so Maryland can play an ACC team in Charlotte.

A brief guide of where some bowls are located if you've lost track of the bowl renamings/etc

• Cure Bowl - Orlando (Orlando City SC's stadium
  • LendingTree Bowl - Mobile, AL
  • Quick Lane Bowl - Detroit
  • First Responder Bowl - University Park, TX (SMU)
  • Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Phoenix (Chase Field)
  • Cheez-It Bowl - Orlando (Camping World Stadium)
  • Duke's Mayo Bowl - Charlotte
  • ReliaQuest Bowl - Tampa (formerly the Outback Bowl)

Also the Hawaii Bowl is at the temporary facilities since Aloha Stadium was condemned a few years ago. The Holiday Bowl is at Petco Park until Snapdragon Stadium becomes large enough to host a bowl (or they decide to play two bowl games in San Diego again). Both arrangements are experiencing their first bowl seasons unless they manage to get canceled due to COVID despite nobody actually cancelling for COVID anymore.

While I dont think this is what is going to happen, I will enjoy that for now, the absolute funniest outcome of Ohio State winning the National Championship without potentially having to play Michigan again is currently on the table.

I can imagine the massive meltdowns that would occur in Ann Arbor if that happens, and also the massive disappointment in the NCAA and ESPN offices if we end up with Ohio State vs TCU as the championship game. 

• Haha 1

Just now, clintthecrippler said:

While I dont think this is what is going to happen, I will enjoy that for now, the absolute funniest outcome of Ohio State winning the National Championship without potentially having to play Michigan again is currently on the table.

I can imagine the massive meltdowns that would occur in Ann Arbor if that happens, and also the massive disappointment in the NCAA and ESPN offices if we end up with Ohio State vs TCU as the championship game. 

You know, I think the reaction in AA would mostly be "we still won."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2