DVDVR Message Board

December 2022 Wrestling Discussion

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'd take Sasha Banks over Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair, especially Charlotte Flair. Banks, Becky and Bayley would be my top three then Bianca Belair and Asuka.

If that’s true she has every right to walk away! The same thing in WCW when Flair wasn’t getting paid the same amount has PIper and Savage!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

in light of news happening on a certain social media site... which indy worker (or washed up ex-WWE guy) is gonna get themselves suspended from Twitter so they can work that into their gimmick?

"I say things so controversial that I've been banned from Social Media"

If Beau can get news coverage every few years for having a progressive heel in Appalachia, i'm sure there'd be some bites on "I was just trying to do my job as a pro wrestler and I got censored for it!" media appearances over a cross-section of cable channels

Outside of being critical of Musk, how does one get suspended from Twitter these days?

10 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Outside of being critical of Musk, how does one get suspended from Twitter these days?

Post publicly-available flight tracking information.  Or post about people posting about publicly-available flight tracking information.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Or post about your love for nazis

The person who got banned for that didn't get banned until after making a critical tweet about Elon Musk. There has been a huge increase of Nazis since he took over and has even brought back previously banned Nazis.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Guest lounging said:

If that’s true she has every right to walk away! The same thing in WCW when Flair wasn’t getting paid the same amount has PIper and Savage!

Got numbers to back that up? I dunno how any of us can make they determination without wwe’s internal data.  I have no idea if either one is actually a draw, so I doubt you do either.

Edited by Confused Villanova Grad

3 hours ago, Confused Villanova Grad said:

Got numbers to back that up? I dunno how any of us can make they determination without wwe’s internal data.  I have no idea if either one is actually a draw, so I doubt you do either.

3 hours ago, Confused Villanova Grad said:

She main evented a freaking Wrestlemania,what more do you want?

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Among others, Bundy, Bigelow, Mr T and Lawrence Taylor main evented Mania, so it's not a lead pipe lock for greatness.

Eh...Bigelow/LT sold that show way more than HBK/Diesel. The latter pair had a great match, but the draw was the actual main event. The fans went nuts during that match. So if anything Bam Bam and LT did their job.

Matter of fact, when they did the replay or special edition version on Fox at the end of the year, they spent the vast majority selling the main event and having the celebs. They barely mentioned the actual WWF title match which is kinda crazy since it was a great match. However, as a special attraction, the Bam Bam/LT match overperformed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Confused Villanova Grad said:

It doesn't sound like he's saying that is right and she should, but if it is, then she is right. No data to prove here.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Just saying not everyone who main evented Mania is some all time great. Some of it is right place, right time, like Bundy (who I like overall) or Sid. 

A good portion of the main events are right place, right time. Austin vs. Goldberg should have been a main event. Never happened. The two biggest stars in pro wrestling the last two decades of the 20th century Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan should have been a Mania main event. Didn't happened. WWE much like boxing and UFC operate based on what they have in front of them come January going into late March/early April or whenever their hot season is. Injuries, contract disputes, hiatuses, etc. all come into play. You don't have the ability largely anymore to do 1 or 2 year storylines like you had during the height of WWF in the late eighties and sort of the rebirth in the late 90s. However, if it sells, it sells. If you have the ability to sell something and it works out, then maybe the people involved in deserve a payday. Does it mean that over the life of the deal, they deserve it? That's debatable. It's always been debatable. A Terence Crawford makes about 2 to 5 million per fight with Top Rank every 6 months and loses money every time Top Rank tries to put him on PPV. I cannot really be mad that Bob Arum decides not to renew his contract. However, a Terence Crawford can find a company to pay him $10 million for a one off tuneup fight like he just did and stay a free agent...I cannot be too mad at him either. WWE is in a much better place financially than a Top Rank. So whatever data people wanna use to determine who deserves what is largely irrelevant. They have the money to pay anyone. The question is will that person get it? If wrestling pay was still based on the houses, A LOT of folks would be in trouble.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, porksweats said:

It doesn't sound like he's saying that is right and she should, but if it is, then she is right. No data to prove here.

Correct.  My question is how you decide one is a draw and the other isn’t.  WM main event aside, Charlotte and Sasha have had fairly similar careers.  You can make a case for Charlotte being a draw just as well as you can for Sasha.  But there are a lot of factors that we can’t know.  I don’t who sells more merch or who is more likely to still be motivated in five years.  I’d also want to know if Sasha has any physical issues that might make me reluctant to back the truck up for her.  No way to know that unless you’re whichever doctor WWE uses.  My guess would be Sasha, Becky, and Charlotte all all going to be physical wrecks in five years.

I’d be inclined to pay Sasha whatever she wants.  Not many free agents out there with even minimal star power and they don’t want her going to AEW. WWE badly needs star power right now.  On the other hand, if I had to pick two of three to pay, Sasha would probably be the odd woman out.  She seems most likely to change careers in the next five years.  Then again, Becky is the one with the family.  And, honestly, I might make completely different choices if I was running the business and was around them every day, had better information.  Hard to say.  Fans always think they know everything about everything, and the truth is we know a lot less than the owner, the general manager, the coaches, agents, etc.

Edited by Confused Villanova Grad
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

WM main event means little. Give us some ratings comps at least. I suspect you could build a convincing case if you did.

He can’t. Because there aren’t any. She’s a really good wrestler but some folks act like she’s some huge draw when there’s zero empirical reason to believe she’s any more of a draw than Becky or Bianca or even Bayley or Alexa…

5 hours ago, just drew said:

Instagram subs, right?

Nope, someone (not me, I'm not a writer) broke down segment by segment since Sasha returned in late 2019 and it showed how much better her segments were doing vs. Other talent. Pretty sure I posted it here before but I don't gather you would actually want to see facts.