DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2022

Dolfan in NYC

37 minutes ago, Red King said:

Now Meltzer saying William Regal is gone

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1599137955624341504

Tony Khan's an idiot. You mean to tell me that Khan signs a known wrestler now authority figure, gives him a faction, puts credible wrestlers in this faction including a younger wrestler who wants to emulate the other wrestlers in their style, makes merch for this faction, has the known wrestler/authority figure screw over the former World champion then he gets screwed over in a final segment all in less than a year?

Honestly, someone should take booking duties from him but there's no one to do that. Omega & the Bucks are happy main eventing dwindling audiences while wrestlers like Moxley and Jericho are probably wondering how quickly they can get out of their contracts too.

Edited by Andrew POE!

14 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Honestly, someone should take booking duties from him but there's no one to do that. Omega & the Bucks are happy main eventing dwindling audiences while wrestlers like Moxley and Jericho are probably wondering how quickly they can get out of their contracts too.

Jericho's riding the gravy train until it goes off the cliff. Omega and the Bucks could take BTE's fans to any promotion they land in and they'll always have an audience. They used ROH as a vessel to sellout 1000-seaters and peddle their merch, which they're great at. But on a national level, an entire show about them doesn't appeal to as many people - and they're not coping with that well. Punk was entirely in the wrong with the All Out fiasco - but Tony's foolish to choose the Bucks and Omega over him going forward. It never should have gotten to that point with the locker room division, and that falls entirely on Tony. He has enough money and resources where he should have hired middle managers to squash problems proactively. But instead of saying "I fucked up", he had a locker room meeting where he threatened everyone with legal action for talking to WWE. Now the morale is "we're stuck here".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Jericho's riding the gravy train until it goes off the cliff. Omega and the Bucks could take BTE's fans to any promotion they land in and they'll always have an audience. They used ROH as a vessel to sellout 1000-seaters and peddle their merch, which they're great at. But on a national level, an entire show about them doesn't appeal to as many people - and they're not coping with that well. Punk was entirely in the wrong with the All Out fiasco - but Tony's foolish to choose the Bucks and Omega over him going forward. It never should have gotten to that point with the locker room division, and that falls entirely on Tony. He has enough money and resources where he should have hired middle managers to squash problems proactively. But instead of saying "I fucked up", he had a locker room meeting where he threatened everyone with legal action for talking to WWE. Now the morale is "we're stuck here".

The second WWE approaches Jericho with a HOF spot, more money, creative control and a last World title run, I predict he's gone. Moxley if he's smart would start to wonder what his legacy is too (honestly he has a ready-made feud with Roman Reigns if he decides to leave for WWE).

JR, Taz, Tony Schiavone, Big Show, Sting, Mark Henry, even William Regal and Christopher Daniels could have been the middle managers to squash problems, but nope E-Fedder Tony Khan knew better than a bunch of guys with 20+ years of experience combined.

Odds are at this rate, 2024 may be the last year of relevancy for AEW with MJF as the captain of the Titanic.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

The second WWE approaches Jericho with a HOF spot, more money, creative control and a last World title run, I predict he's gone.

Yes, they are going to give a man rapidly approaching mid 50s creative control and the World Title. He is 2002 Hulk Hogan, who was 49 compared to Jericho who is already 52.

If WWE gives Chris Jericho a world title, they are the goddamn Titanic.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yes, they are going to give man rapidly approaching mid 50s creative control and the World Title. He is 2002 Hulk Hogan, who was 49 compared to Jericho who is already 52.

If WWE gives Chris Jericho a world title, they are the goddamn Titanic.

Gonna have to agree there.

Oldest WWE champions in history (59 year span) -

Bob Backlund - 44

Bobby Lashley - 45

Triple H - 46

Hulk Hogan - 48

Vince McMahon - 54

Oldest AEW champions in history (4 year span) -

Hangman Page - 30

Jon Moxley - 36

Kenny Omega - 37

CM Punk - 43

Chris Jericho - 49

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The goon sessions where every piece of news means that they’re going under goes in the finance thread. 

Wake me up when Tony Khan has to do a Team Challenge Series and CGI fans into the arena. 

Thank God, the internet wasn't around in the way it is now when WCW was about to push up daisies every week in 1990-1993. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Gonna have to agree there.

Oldest WWE champions in history (59 year span) -

Bob Backlund - 44

Bobby Lashley - 45

Triple H - 46

Hulk Hogan - 48

Vince McMahon - 54

Oldest AEW champions in history (4 year span) -

Hangman Page - 30

Jon Moxley - 36

Kenny Omega - 37

CM Punk - 43

Chris Jericho - 49

And this is obviously missing the context that AEW put their World Title on him when Chris was by far their biggest non-organic star when they first started doing TV. Why would they (WWE) put a guy who isn't even in the running for the main World title in AEW when they won't even put guys way younger than him by 10-15 years over Roman Reigns? Unless Paul starts huffing paint, Chris Jericho ain't winning no world title.

As for like a HOF spot, what the fuck does that mean? Jericho isn't that much of a mark for himself. They put like a bajillion people in every year and they're running out people alive and dead to put in. That's always going to be something he can get. He can work for AEW and get put in the WWE HOF. That means jackshit.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Jericho isn't that much of a mark for himself.

You're trying to tell me the guy who felt left out of the news cycle because he had no part in the All Out brawl so he spun "I went to Punk's locker room and he told me to get lost" into "I bravely went to Punk's locker room and got in his face to defend the honor of AEW" isn't a mark for himself

• Like 1

Just now, Dolphman 3000 said:

You're trying to tell me the guy who felt left out of the news cycle because he had no part in the All Out brawl so he spun "I went to Punk's locker room and he told me to get lost" into "I bravely went to Punk's locker room and got in his face to defend the honor of AEW" isn't a mark for himself

I said THAT MUCH, not that he isn't a mark for a himself. 

Are we sure Dave actually knows Regal's status? This week, according to Dave he had a 1 year contract, then a 3 year contract, and then a verbal deal that ended when Hunter controls WWE. Color me skeptical until I actually see Regal on television again lol

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are we counting the Watts/Jarrett talent swap in 1983/4 as a trade? 

I wouldn't even consider the USWA/WCWA stuff later on a trade. That's more like a working agreement because it's not like they cannot go back to where they initially came from.

The only like combat sports/pro wrestling trade recently that I can remember is ONE FC giving UFC Ben Askren in exchange for Demetrious Johnson. That ended up working both sides, which is why I am surprised it hasn't been done since.

Here...if you're going to let Sasha got to AEW, Paul is gonna want like MJF and Jungle Jack Perry and not Regal for as valuable as he can be as a figurehead/manager. For Regal, AEW might get back Baron Corbin, Lacey Evans, Dana Brooke, and cash consideration. 

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Here...if you're going to let Sasha got to AEW, Paul is gonna want like MJF and Jungle Jack Perry and not Regal for as valuable as he can be as a figurehead/manager.

Sasha walked out on WWE while under contract - she's useless to WWE. HHH getting Regal back in exchange for Sasha's non-compete period getting dropped is win-win

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Sasha walked out on WWE while under contract - she's useless to WWE. 

If someone is useless, they release that performer. Hell, Vince's whole mantra was if you don't want to be here, go. That went for Lex Luger. That went for Warrior. That went for Ted DiBiase. That went for Savage. Heenan and Okerlund. A whole host of people. Just waive the non-compete. The reason they won't waive it is she IS valuable.

I don't know shit about shit, but I can at least add a real-sports example to the contract clause deal. When Andrew Friedman left TB for a job with the Dodgers, Joe Maddon had an opt-out tied to Friedman leaving and exercised it, that's how he landed with CHC. 

If Impact! - fucking IMPACT! - is still alive in some form, AEW will have to die a spectacular death before I believe any rumors of its demise.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
My phone loves "correcting" the possessive pronoun its to the contraction it's when entirely not warranted.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

If Impact! - fucking IMPACT! - is still alive in some form, AEW will have to die a spectacular death before I believe any rumors of it's demise.

Here's a hell of a question - if Kenny and the Bucks own a trademark on "The Elite" for wrestling purposes...can Tony still call it "All Elite Wrestling" if they leave?

4 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Here's a hell of a question - if Kenny and the Bucks own a trademark on "The Elite" for wrestling purposes...can Tony still call it "All Elite Wrestling" if they leave?

Yes, cause that's two seperate trademarks. Unless they themselves own the All Elite Wrestling trademark, then it will still be called that.

I also don't see them fighting TK on that any way.

Cursory search shows the trademark All Elite Wrestling is owned by AEW LLC which is Shad and Tony Khan.

Being the Elite is owned by the Bucks caused it looks like Michael Dockins secured that one for them.

I dunno why you would want to try to wrestle that trademark away from them when their (the Khan family) lawyers would crush you in court.