DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 11/30/2022!

DEAN

two more notes

1) is it possible that we're pretty close to period where Regal would have dropped a 90 day notice about his contract? hence the whole thing being sorta speed-run to the exit lately?

2) while the Acclaimed/Gunn promo was pretty clever... am I the only one that thinks "nobody wants to face us" accidentally makes the AEW Tag Team titles seem a bit minor? In theory, some teams should wanna face the Acclaimed because they have championships, but then again, the best tag teams in the company have been working on other projects for a few months leaving the tag titles to be sorta on the backseat.

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Theoretically, to the AEW fan, WWE is the ultimate heel. The evil empire. WCW to ECW, times 10. The most beloved ECW wrestlers got mercilessly booed when they left. An existing heel says "you people are stupid and wrong, that place is better than this place, and I'm gonna take your world title there"? Mega heel.

Public Enemy got love all of the way out the door. 

MJF talking up WWE will get him super hated by the crowd. I still think that it is better for AEW to not have any of that WWE talk on their TV.

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Rampage was beaten in the ratings on Friday Afternoon by TBS airing Christmas Vacation and Elf, so half-ish of the Dynamite audience didn't see Rampage anyways. I'm not sure how much you have to mention the B Show on the A Show unless you have something happening on the B Show that actually carries over to the A Show.

Due to the Dark Order's relationship with Page (still ultimately the top babyface in the company, given Mox is basically a tweener), I think the fact that it was on the B show makes it important to highlight on the A show. I mean, I get that Rampage is basically Main Event with its own de facto roster...but that's not a good thing.

I guess Page is still the top babyface in the company as long as Danielson isn’t a committed babyface too.

But if they’re not gonna do much with the Dark Order, then having Page drift away from them is gonna be the play. Maybe Page moves up to hanging out with Hook and Danhausen instead.

So when Tony brings back Battlebowl in a few weeks, maybe we’ll get a parejas increibles match with Danielson and Page vs MJF and Moxley

On 12/1/2022 at 10:38 AM, Casey said:

But I’m just a poor dude from Tennessee, I’m not running the #2 wrestling promotion in North America.

Gimmick infringement! I'm just a poor dude from Tennessee who is not running the #2 wrestling promotion in North America.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dog said:

Theoretically, to the AEW fan, WWE is the ultimate heel. The evil empire. WCW to ECW, times 10. The most beloved ECW wrestlers got mercilessly booed when they left. An existing heel says "you people are stupid and wrong, that place is better than this place, and I'm gonna take your world title there"? Mega heel.

This whole MJF bit reminds me of the Dudley's winning the ECW tag straps and Bubby saying " In ECW we became men and in WWE men become Gods!. Where gonna lay these titles on the desk of Vince Macmahon" then Raven returned. Wouldn't be surprised if Tony being such and ECW fan is cribbing from that

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Log said:

Tony needs to go the Impact route of killing anyone leaving on-screen.

MJF's contract is up and Mox snaps his neck on the next Dynamite.

I like this idea though I think if you’re going to kill someone in wrestling you go big or go home. You’ve got to live up to Abby getting the electric chair, car bombs and drive by shootings among other things. 

• Like 1

Just now, FourPostMassacre said:

I like this idea though I think if you’re going to kill someone in wrestling you go big or go home. You’ve got to live up to Abby getting the electric chair, car bombs and drive by shootings among other things. 

Sting shoots MJF with a bazooka fired from the rafters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, zendragon said:

This whole MJF bit reminds me of the Dudley's winning the ECW tag straps and Bubby saying " In ECW we became men and in WWE men become Gods!. Where gonna lay these titles on the desk of Vince Macmahon" then Raven returned. Wouldn't be surprised if Tony being such and ECW fan is cribbing from that

Makes sense as MJF is kind of a mash-up of Shane Douglas/Impact Player shootier stuff with some of Mick Foley's praising Eric Bischoff promos mixed in.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, caley said:

Makes sense as MJF is kind of a mash-up of Shane Douglas/Impact Player shootier stuff with some of Mick Foley's praising Eric Bischoff promos mixed in.

What a great comparison. To take it a step further, I'd say Douglas and MJF both have a propensity to give into their worst instincts at times (MJF with the 'bidding war' stuff and going far too long, and Shane undermining some of his own otherwise great promos with less-than-necessary cussing and 'Dick Flair' stuff).

• Like 3

On 11/30/2022 at 11:41 PM, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Guess I'm in the minority (so far) but I dug MJF turning on Regal like that.  It was totally telegraphed there at the end, but I dug it and thought it was kinda perfect storytelling for what they want his character to be.  MJF with a veteran mentor never made sense.  MJF using and manipulating that guy the way he did makes complete sense.  Don't care for the "this is serious now guys" voices with Taz/Excaliber trying to pretend to hold back tears at all....but if you're gonna do this angle with Regal you kinda have to I guess

I'm someone who actually likes MJF the wrestler a lot more than the promo/character.  MJF tries way too hard sometimes, comes off like someone trying desperately to be a character, and he comes off as exactly that to me way too much.  I totally had a moment in the middle of this where I thought to myself, "kid, I watched Piper, and you are no F'n Piper....." tho I guess it's hard to be without the gimmicks.  That said, while he didn't hit a homerun with his first promo as champ, I definitely didn't hate this overall.  It covered a lot of ground and it set up his character and a number of future opponents perfectly.  I also loved how smartly they booked things to explain all of the BCC being elsewhere (and Bryan recovering from his match), though I'm wondering why all of a sudden they are taping at a studio in Nashville.......

Well said, (from the first few pages) it feels like it's being overlooked how well Friedman did making himself unlikeable again. At the very least offer some points for not being a cool heel. Further, it feels inconclusive in 2022 whether the 'X-Pac heat' is actually damaging. Or if it's actual go away heat in the case of Max Friedman. The turn on Regal and everything he did in this re-established himself Truly as a Heel. He also set-up a lot of potential matches. I heard the name Eddie Kingston and thought 'that's certainly a program I'd care to see'. I kinda liked him digging in on all his favorite topics. And I liked his flat out proclaiming himself to wrestle only on PPV, and on rare occasion! Bryan was so great selling the Regal shit. Goddamn am I ever sad to see William go... but... considering they were losing him, this felt like an incredibly fun exit for the Gentleman Villain. Regal in AEW, and the BCC, and what could have been? 

I don't get to watch Dynamite live often and that might have clouded my judgement but I thought this was a pretty strong show top to bottom.  

I've been watching everything on tape delay. And in preference. Early Thursday mornings for Dynamite. Wrestling over breakfast is a beautiful thing. This week's show at an hour 50 with a few skims was excellent - where maybe it didn't seem as such over the 2 hour duration, and without whatever that Acclaimed promo was. Watching this show with the ability to skim Willow-Anna and mostly ffwd the clearly terrible Jade segment made it inevitably a hit.

On 11/30/2022 at 11:58 PM, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Strong, strong disagreement my friend.  Omega slicing his throat while walking down the ramp to this jammy song with the whole crew jumping around is my favorite thing in rasslin right now

I'm sold. I was initially amused by this song choice. Then on 3rd run I was thinking maybe less so. I don't know the Kansas catalog outside of the 2 songs that have repetitiously played on the radio since their 70 something release. When those songs come on the radio I change the channel. Always. But Wrestling certainly has a way with music! The Omega visual is the perfect sell.

Re: 11/30/22
Dax Harwood v Bryan Danielson was 'fucking awesome!' I especially loved the somewhat unique (or fresh to me) work around the barricade. So fun! Similar thoughts on Joe v AR Fox. Just a perfect assbeating with enough thrills to come away better for it. Grumpy old man assbeater Joe is the best Joe! Bring on the slightly promoted Final Battle PPV. Which I'm fine with being a thrown together set of dream matches - one featuring the Briscoes. I'll happily take a 3rd round of FTR v Briscoes? Put a cage on it if you must. Omega/Bucks v Death Triangle still have a long way to 7 but thus far it's been an exceptional 'piece of business.'   

Note: all matches viewed with heavenly audio effect that brings the live crowd to the forefront (a good one in this instance) while making the commentary a background squeak. I love it so much!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

On 12/1/2022 at 1:54 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Off topic: God, I hope she goes with Mercedes Bankz or something. Hopefully it's one of those things like Claudio trademarking 'CSRO' just in case, and never using it. 

On topic: I think she might be one of the only realistically available, non-senior-citizens not named CM Punk who could probably affect TV numbers (to @Bryan 's point). I don't know if I see the logic in putting the TBS title on her - sure, it would elevate the belt, but unless youre building to a unification with Hayter, I think it might fuck her a little bit. On the other hand, if you're trying to make nice with WBD for a new TV deal, you could do a lot worse than putting a TBS logo on one of the most recognizable women's stars of the last decade.

As Jericho said years ago Time Warner is a TV company so the "TV" belt is already the top belt

• Like 3

8 hours ago, punkenhead said:

Gimmick infringement! I'm just a poor dude from Tennessee who is not running the #2 wrestling promotion in North America.

I bet if we teamed up we could run that one indie fed that GCW co-promoted with in Tullahoma!

Edited by Casey
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, wpdougie2180 said:

Well add me also as a poor dude from Tennessee who is not running the #2 wrestling promotion in North America and we have a Trio. 

Read this as 'We'll have a Tito's" and thought: hope they have room for a poor Yankee

Edit @Cobra CommanderI'd wager were going to see a more pure babyface Danielson from here out - making the save for Regal twice kind of makes me think that may be the direction. Side note: I thought him being in the trainers room and running out w one boot on was SUCH a nice touch.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4