DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/23/2022

The Natural

To me, this Regal explanation is the sort of thing that you now put on ice for a LONG time and only come back to it when it’s just right. Have TK tweet that Regal is moving into a role in developmental and will be traveling as a scout rather than attending Dynamite, then pull the Mox/Regal thing back out a year+ from now when the time calls for it.

• Like 1

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

Not in Los Angeles. Not in a million years.

just remembered how Ron Skoler claimed that Mexicans just didn't wanna go to the LA Forum when he was unable to make as much money at the Forum as he did at the LA Sports Arena. The Forum being a venue which drew for boxing among other things.

So, the best of 7 sequence is probably Elite win next week, Death Triangle wins match 4, then Elite wins 5 and 6 to lead into 7. Unless we're gonna experience something like Elite winning 3/4/6 or 3/4/5 to get us to 7.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Likewise, I'm sure Regal will just go away for a short while and come back to be a thorn in Mox's side. 

I hope that's the case. I don't think MJF needs Regal attached to his side all of the time so I hope Regal ends up managing other wrestlers to go after Moxley to keep him occupied and away from MJF. 

• Like 1

I'M LATE!  SUCK IT!  Had to assist with prep for Thanksgiving!   Endless ACTING!  Orange Cassidy and Jake Hagar base a match around a purple hat.  I love Professional Wrestling.  Jake Hagar beats on Cassidy while we are in picture in picture!  Hagar does the Ron Simmons Catapult Under The Bottom Rope.  My DVD misses a wad of the match.  Uranagi by Hagar!  Ankle Lock countered by purple hat!  Cassidy wins!  QT comes out and his mic stops working!  HOLY SHIT!  It's JULIA HART!  THE HOUSE OF BLACK!  They beat up the Best Friends!  THEN they beat up the Factory!  Then they WARDLOW a batch of security and wrestlers!  THEN Brodie King K-DRILLS a security dude on the ramp!  YAAAY!  HOUSE OF BLACK!  HOUSE OF BLACK!  HOUSE OF BLACK!  Ethan Page is a HEAT MACHINE!  CRYBABIES~!  Ricky Starks has the most DDPed ribs in the history of wrapping up things.  Ethan Page is very old school HEAT MACHINE!  Oh man, this match is great.  Starks is great being our sympathetic babyface and Page is awesome assaulting the ribs!  I love that we have a new Larry Zbysko and his name is Ethan Page.  What a great old school heel.  Stokely is SENT TO THE BACK!  The crowd POPS like crazy!  SUPERPLEX By Starks!  Swinging Neckbreaker!  SWINGING DDT!  Starks is doing many swinging things.  Page cuts him off with Powerslam FOR TWO!  Page use KUNG FU!  SPEAR by Starks!  ANOTHER SPEAR by STARKS!  STARKS ISSSS GOLDBERG!  That was fucking great.  Hey!  Red Velvet is back!  Oh no!  Kiera Hogan is no longer a Baddie!  The Elite come out and the crowd is not happy!  Will they RIOT?  It is Chicago.  The Elite beat on Rey Fenix and are getting LEGIT HEEL HEAT!  Oh man, this match is fucking great.  Rey takes out Omega and the crowd is fucking MOLTEN!  This crowd is great.  PAC is our face in peril as we head into picture in picture.  OMG!  A Jackson mocks CM Punk fucking up a Buckshot Lariat!  PENTA goes Backbreaker CRAZY!  and the crowd goes insane!  Rey does stuff!  Omega crushes PAC with V Trigger!  OMEGA HITS A GTS!  FOR TWO!  This is so fucking great.  HAMMER TIME BY PENTA!  DEATH TRIANGLE GOES UP 2-0!  SO FUCKING GREAT!  Jamie Hayter is no longer Interim Champion!  Oh no!  A TRIPLE THREAT MATCH!  Oh man, this looks like they are setting up Willow versus Jamie Hayter- which will RULE.  They should definitely have a women's tag title.  Tay Jay are fucking great in this, beating the crud out of Willow.  Britt Baker pins the hometown hero!  That was good for a fuckin triple threat.  So Rampage is going to RULE with FTR versus Top Flight!  Jericho versus Tomohiro Ishii!  Well, this should be good.  Well THIS IS STIFF!  WHOA!  JERICHO is bleeding HARDWAY from the chest!  So fucking GREAT!  Jericho is so fucking AWESOME.  This match is completely balls out.  GREAT nearfall on a Lariat by Ishii!  Lion Tamer for the win!  What a fucking match.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Extra note: Stokely and the Firm might be shuffled a little bit down the ranks of the endless AEW heel factions? just one read of Page losing to Starks.

then again, maybe we get Bryan/Moxley vs the Firm in some sort of Trust Fall exercise to get us to whatever non-MJF thing Moxley is gonna do, and the Firm stays sorta busy now with their non-MJF things. Guess we'll have to see who interrupts MJF next week (if anybody)

Gotta balance the urge to not do too much with December shows and the whole show you're doing on January 11th.. can't put too many people in purgatory for the next few weeks, like they seemingly do since you only have so much TV time per week.

That main event was insane. Jericho is absolutely out of his mind. One of the most entertaining and unique matches in memory.

The six man stuff should not be for me but man that was so much fun to watch. I am sure by match four I won’t care anymore but that was a hot crowd. The Punk trolling was stupid but that was a hit crowd.

OC managed to make Jake Hager watchable, which is proof of his miracle worker status.

Also, Jamie Hayter is a natural as a champion. Her whole look -  new haircut, robe, belt - makes her look like a female Harley Race or Greg Valentine in that it is elaborate flamboyant ring gear worn by someone who will murder you without really needing a purpose.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can't wait until House of Black beats whomever wins the Elite/Death Triangle series. 

My gut says the plan is the series wraps up in <7 and HoB beats whoever wins it (in front of a crowd that might have been anticipating a Match 7). That's the subtle (sneaky?) swerve stuff AEW likes to run with everything that isn't their World Championship.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

the whole Elite/Punk thing tonight was more subtle than bringing out a midget in a CM Punk mask like it's November 97

They were gonna do that but the guy they brought in was only two inches shorter than Matt so they nixed that idea.

I'm not even sorry. If everyone else gets to be petty, I get to be petty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Boy, those Chicago fans are going to feel like assholes when they find out the only thing Matt Jackson was trying to do with that praying moonsault was pay homage to Jinsei Shinzaki. Buncha quick-to-judge ingrates. 

Kidding aside, I have no idea what The Elite was trying to do with all of those CM Punk and fight references. Are they building towards something, just being jerks, taking heat where they can get it/making the most of the fact that they will likely never be cheered in Chicago again and therefore don't have to be on their best behavior...? No matter what it was, I was entertained.

Speaking of entertainment: I am totally fine with analyzing pro-wrestling to the extent that we do here. It's possible to enjoy this artform on a lot of different levels. But - if we accept that pro-wrestling is supposed to be a form of entertainment and are OK with consuming it on that simple level sometimes, then I don't know if anyone has entertained me more this year than Orange Cassidy has. Building a match based around playing keep away with a dumb hat is something I can't recall seeing in thirty years of fandom, and if I have seen it, it wasn't done in a more humorous and enjoyable way than it was done by OC, Hager, and the rest of the wrestlers at ringside in this match. One man's opinion on some of the postmodern wrestlers like Cassidy we've seen in recent times: in order to subvert the tropes of pro-wrestling, one must first understand those tropes. Orange Cassidy has a character, wrestles to it, and sells the beating he's taking quite well. These are all more traditional aspects of pro-wrestling; he simultaneously sticks by them and creatively bends some of the "rules" to make entertaining matches. He's not just screwing around in there. It's a joy to watch.

To refer back to my post about Full Gear: I am glad that Toni Storm and Jamie Hayter's reigns are both going to be recognized as official title runs. They both earned it. While the tweet about Thunder Rosa above is a bit much, I do think it's a shame that this couldn't have been ironed out before the PPV. Making that announcement at Full Gear itself would've added more stakes to the match, when instead Jamie Hayter was announced as a new interim champion and then had that retconned mere days later. I admit to some curiosity as to why this agreement between AEW and Rosa couldn't have been reached even a week sooner. 

• Like 12