DVDVR Message Board

UFC 281: Adesanya vs. Pereira (11/12/2022) - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Bless you Michael Chandler never stop.

So entertaining, Chandler can stop you with his power but he can be hurt back. He was winning this fight at moments and Oliveira before losing both.

Edited by The Natural

Counterpoint: Michael Chandler has big bonehead Fight IQ and visibly cheated twice and it's cool when he loses.

He totally beat Alvarez and Brooks in those Bellator bad Bellator splits though I'm not that kinda hater.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

I demand between his fights that The Leech become the manager for every Chinese fighter so we can see his fresh ass suits.

After seeing her hit pads this week while she was training in Thailand and before that lifting Ngannou up like a small child, I don't think it's possible for me to be more terrified of Weili Zhang.

• Like 2

I hope Pereira takes a more aggressive approach in the rematch because he was so timid even when he got to his preferred range inside after getting smacked a few times in round 1. He never lost his power, his tank is good enough, and he recovers well. Throw those hands, man. Israel is a god still and fought a really smart fight. He was a couple minutes away from winning. 

So happy with all the results on the main card. And the undercard featured a lot of violence. Great stuff. UFC the best booked show in 2022 (damning with faint praise).

Edited by Jiji

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I don't like it. Not an Izzy diehard or nothing but he was bobbing and weaving. Didn't think that was the case but the over-the-fence camera made it look like Izzy was still evading.

I didn't think it was a bad stoppage because Goddard gave him ample time to throw back and show that he could intelligently defend himself. On the replay, Pereira did hit him with a good strike that would probably cause just about any other ref to step in. I would definitely agree with you if he (Pereira) was doing what a lot of boxers do and just throw wildly with shoulder shots when they have an opponent hurt and wait for the ref to step in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Israel is a god still and fought a really smart fight. He was a couple minutes away from winning. 

Three more seconds in the first and he's still champ.

• Like 1

Adesanya was kicking his ass honestly in the center of the cage, but he has the JDS judgment lapse where he decides to let his back stay on the fence too much. What's the best case scenario fighting with your back towards the cage?

You always remember the guys that knocked you out.  Izzy fought on his back foot nearly the entire fight.  He will say it was trap baiting, but was it really?  He fought like a guy that did not want to get hit at all and for good reason.

Alex has a crazy gas tank.  I don't think that any of Izzy's carry me clinch work had a detrimental effect on him.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Adesanya was kicking his ass honestly in the center of the cage, but he has the JDS judgment lapse where he decides to let his back stay on the fence too much. What's the best case scenario fighting with your back towards the cage?

Didn't matter until he got stuck between the sides. The wall became a corner real quick.

What's fascinating about Periera is he fought no one that Izzy fought to get this title shot. So now he's champ and he has to look back at a sea of absolute killers and fend them off. Lots of exciting questions for him to answer.

13 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Didn't matter until he got stuck between the sides. The wall became a corner real quick.

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah Im not sure how many times he did that willingly or the threat of Pereira up in his shit with that power backed him off. 

That's a thing where in the final round, you have to realize that octagon is about to get really small. Short of a weird injury or a flagrant foul, Pereira can only win one way. In the previous rounds, Adesanya wasn't giving him time to set up anything. Pereira landed some short hooks and maybe a low kick or a kick to the abdomen here and there, but nothing seriously sustained. You back up (in essence reducing your offensive options by like half) and give Pereira time to think, everything you did in the previous rounds becomes null and void.

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Glover Teixeira vs. Jiri Prochazka. UFC 275.

UFC Welterweight Champion Kamaru Usman vs. Leon Edwards. UFC 278.

UFC Middleweight Champion Israel Adesanya vs Alex Pereira. UFC 281.

All three champions were winning the fight into round five. All three challengers needed a finish. Three new champions, two by KO/TKO and one from submission.