DVDVR Message Board

2022-23 NCAA BASKETBALL

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Mizzou beat Illinois by 22 (at Mizzou). Between that and Indiana losing to KU by 22 in Lawrence.. and Iowa losing to Eastern Illinois.. the Big 10 is gonna be an interesting conference his year

The Illinois/Mizzou game was technically neutral site (St. Louis). They play there every year. It's always a fun game. It was not last night. This is a really frustrating Illinois team. We've looked as good as anyone (vs. Texas and UCLA) and just terrible (Penn St. Mizzou). Underwood has some work to do to get these guys all on the same page.

2 hours ago, Log said:

The Illinois/Mizzou game was technically neutral site (St. Louis). They play there every year. It's always a fun game. It was not last night. This is a really frustrating Illinois team. We've looked as good as anyone (vs. Texas and UCLA) and just terrible (Penn St. Mizzou). Underwood has some work to do to get these guys all on the same page.

I wouldn't call it "technical" neutral as St Louis is fairly equidistant from both schools and tons of alumni are based there. The Illini just got their asses whooped like Norm Stewart was out there coaching Mizzou. Some Braggin' Rights...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Iowa's Patrick McCaffery (Coach Fran McCaffrey's son) is taking a leave of absence from the team to address his mental health

Patrick said in an Instagram post that he battles anxiety and it has gotten so bad that it is affecting his preparation and play

Georgetown lost its 25th consecutive Big East game which sets the record for longest streak in the history of the league

The University put out a statement acknowledging "difficult times" but still seems unwilling to break its ties to John Thompson

I heart Patrick Ewing with everything I have but Good Lord he should have been fired two years ago.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Georgetown lost its 25th consecutive Big East game which sets the record for longest streak in the history of the league

The University put out a statement acknowledging "difficult times" but still seems unwilling to break its ties to John Thompson

I heart Patrick Ewing with everything I have but Good Lord he should have been fired two years ago.

I get why that miracle run through the Big East tourney in 21 got him another year last year. But Jesus, 6-25, 0-19 in conference play last year, for a guy who has one winning season total, and never had a winning record in Big East play.... I don't care how great Thompson was, bringing him back for this year was nuts.

• Like 1

Watching this now, I can't tell if they haven't touched the floor at Memorial since 1977 or if it's just a masterful paint job. Either way it looks awesomely rugged.

Detroit Mercy's Antoine Davis set the record for most 3s in a career with his 510th on Saturday

Davis also moved into 3rd on the D1 all time scoring list and is only 17 points away from 2nd place (Davis is currently in his 5th season)

He is a little more than 300 points away from Pete Maravich's all time record (reminder that Pete did it in only three seasons and without a 3 point shot)

I didn't see it mentioned, but everyone's favorite gimmick based D-III basketball team, Grinnell won a game last month over Emmaus Bible where they did not attempt a single 2 point field goal.   Instead, they shot the ball 111 times from 3.  

Notably, they only shot 36% from 3 (40-111) and still won by almost 60. 

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I didn't see it mentioned, but everyone's favorite gimmick based D-III basketball team, Grinnell won a game last month over Emmaus Bible where they did not attempt a single 2 point field goal.   Instead, they shot the ball 111 times from 3.  

36% from 3 is the equivalent of 54% from 2 so not too bad in the end. 

111 shots in 40 minutes is a whole bunch though. 

On 1/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I’m curious what a 111 shot game looks like.  Most D1 NCAA take about sixty shots per game from the field.  I imagine D3 is much the same.  111 shots is almost 3 shots a minute, so you’re…. playing absolutely no defense and letting the other team shoot as quick as possible?  Getting an absurd number of offensive rebounds and kicking the ball back out to the perimeter?  

Had to be a strange game to watch.

Grinnell's "System" is basically the modern version of Paul Westhead's offense and the answer is "yes" to a lot of your questions

Taking from Wiki

The main tenets of the system are:

• The first possible shot is the best possible shot, where three-point field goal attempts are preferred over shorter shots.
  • Shoot as many three-pointers as possible.
  • In terms of defense, giving up an uncontested layup is better than a shot clock violation.
  • Always double team the person with the ball.
  • Every player but the shooter goes for the offensive rebound.
  • Offensive rebounds should be sent back for another three-point attempt, not a shorter putback for two points.

Unlike Westhead's system, in which any open player takes a shot, the Grinnell System has a designated shooter on the court. The system employs a constant full-court press on defense. While opponents get easy baskets when they beat the press, the team receives the ball back sooner to attempt a three-pointer. The goal is to get significantly more shots than the opponent by forcing more turnovers and getting more offensive rebounds. When a player misses, Arseneault believed that rebounding the ball and giving the player the same shot within ten seconds usually resulted in a basket. The overall goal of the system is to take 100 shots, make half the shots 3-point attempts, force 32 turnovers, rebound one-third of the team's own misses, and outshoot the opponents by 30 attempts.

And they sub guys out like a hockey shift - so guys are playing like 2 minutes at a time which might be the other big factor

The coach's son tried running the System in the G League and it didn't work because the roster was only 10 players so they couldn't handle the full court press part

On 1/25/2023 at 8:41 AM, Doc Townsend said:

I’m curious what a 111 shot game looks like.  Most D1 NCAA take about sixty shots per game from the field.  I imagine D3 is much the same.  111 shots is almost 3 shots a minute, so you’re…. playing absolutely no defense and letting the other team shoot as quick as possible?  Getting an absurd number of offensive rebounds and kicking the ball back out to the perimeter?  

Had to be a strange game to watch.

Their games are crazy. And, yes, a lot of is zero defense. Their goal is to draw you into a track meet and wear you out. They are more than happy to let you take a 2 so they sprint down and take a 3. They take the first shot they see and they're generally good enough shooters to make them. 

One of their players - Jack Taylor - has scored 100 points twice and holds the all-time record with 138 in a game. That game is on YouTube. He definitely wasn't shooting 90% from the floor.