DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/12/2022

16 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I actually think Adam Cole returning to save ROH from Chris Jericho would be a pretty great feud. People want to root for Adam Cole. Seeing him - one of the dirtiest players in the game - defending the legacy of ROH and trying to usurp the crown from a sports entertainer would be a lot of fun. 

Adam Cole is not a good heel. He does not get a lot of heel heat. Or any heel heat. He tries to but it doesn't work. They should lean into his natural likability. He really comes off in all of his in real life stuff as a really good, nerdy and funny guy. He could be a really great rogue face like Eddie Guerrero circa Lie, Cheat and Steal where the fans are in on it and want to see what clever stuff he has up his sleeve to pull out the win.  We haven't seen anyone do that in a while.

As someone who is not a fan of Cole, I'm more than willing to give him a chance as a Face

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I will gladly take arguments that OC is the best worker in the world. I will make that argument, even though the amount of wrestling I watch is way less than everyone else. But every match I have seen him have this year has been absolutely perfect for what they are going for, and I still haven't even seen the Osperey match. 

Oh, that match is even better than this.  It's a total clash of styles where Ospreay is totally reeled in and wrestles a US Pro Style match- and he's really GOOD at US Pro Style.  WHO KNEW?  OC is a genius.

• Like 3

There was a while there where PAC didn’t seem to want to do clean jobs. Says a lot about the story he and OC have told over the last couple years that he went down clean as a sheet. It also says a lot about the state of the business that as soon as he did I thought to myself “oh no. Is he a Triple H guy?” 

We don’t talk enough about how tremendous PAC is. Not being able to be stateside for much of the pandemic really scuttled his AEW run, but now that he’s back on tv regularly it’s even more apparent how awesome his work is. I think Mox is currently doing the best work in AEW but I think PAC might be the most gifted worker in AEW…

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I don’t know how they’d get there but I would love to see OC/Darby. I think those two have a classic in them.

"I've moved to Parts Unknown. I am going to take the All-Atlantic Title back there. I challenge you."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

We don’t talk enough about how tremendous PAC is. Not being able to be stateside for much of the pandemic really scuttled his AEW run, but now that he’s back on tv regularly it’s even more apparent how awesome his work is. I think Mox is currently doing the best work in AEW but I think PAC might be the most gifted worker in AEW…

Pac was always a guy who I thought did really cool stuff, but I never saw him as a "complete" worker. Since he's been back in AEW full-time, he has 100% changed my opinion of him. He's one of the people I look most forward to seeing now.

• Like 2

Man, AEW needed to hit it out of the park debuting in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and boy did they ever!

Goddamn Christian Cage helped Luchasaurus beat Jungle Boy in a great fucking match! Jungle Perry needs to regroup and maybe find someone to level the playing field for a bit! I was thinking I want to see Tyler Bate vs Hangman Adam Page, but I think I'd want Jungle Boy and Tyler Bate as a tag team even more!

It's funny and awesome that Billy Gunn is still in the same shape he was at his peak, still wrestles about the same (just a bit slower) and is MORE over than any other point of his career, save for very peak of New Age Outlaws. How in the F did Sterling get the rights to The Acclaimed's gimmick? On what grounds?

WarJoe squashed The Factory and FTR and Embassy get to show up and set up a match on Rampage, later so do Nyla and Anna J-A-S!

Toronto being the one place booing Bryan Danielson sure was something. Match was another notch in Jericho's belt! Garcia had to make a decision and boy did he ever.

There was a women's tag match and Shida got the win. And it leads to a match with Toni Storm.

Mox-Hangman promo was good enough, but I wasn't sure if Page was about to burst into tears for accidentally punching himself too hard in the face. Hey, men cry too. Especially when punched in the face.

I liked the MJF promo, after he was done with Stockley. He may not be a generational talent he says he is, but I do like his commitment a lot.

This had to be OC's night, no matter how much of a PAC-guy I may be (or, to paraphrase Hangman earlier, I'm a PAC-Man!!!) The match was great and the DDT sells by PAC defy so many laws of biology, physics, sanity, space-time that I can't even begin. His neck must be supernatural, because he SHOULD be dead after those! Finally, OC gets some justice, but the hammer didn't exactly blow-up in PAC's face like I expected it would.

Even with a bunch of key talent not being present, this was one hell of a show, once again.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

How in the F did Sterling get the rights to The Acclaimed's gimmick? On what grounds?

They presumably never bothered to register the gesture or phrase as a trademark, so Sterling swooped in and trademarked them. As Greggulator pointed out, real-life slimeballs do this sort of thing a lot. My understanding is that it wouldn't actually hold up in court; the slimeballs in question are banking on the victims deciding it's cheaper to just pay them off than fight a court battle.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

They presumably never bothered to register the gesture or phrase as a trademark, so Sterling swooped in and trademarked them. As Greggulator pointed out, real-life slimeballs do this sort of thing a lot. My understanding is that it wouldn't actually hold up in court; the slimeballs in question are banking on the victims deciding it's cheaper to just pay them off than fight a court battle.

Wow, those people are dicks! A real slime-ball move by Sterling, too! But seeing how things seem to go for him, I think he's about to be served once more pretty soon!

3 hours ago, Log said:

Pac was always a guy who I thought did really cool stuff, but I never saw him as a "complete" worker. Since he's been back in AEW full-time, he has 100% changed my opinion of him. He's one of the people I look most forward to seeing now.

I think he’s really benefited from having the wwe governor taken off. Fwiw, I never thought his promos were even passable in wwe either. For whatever reason, he’s found another gear. 

• Like 1

This was such a goddamn fun show to see live. So much great stuff. In ring was killer. Promos were on point. Crowd was jacked. 

Was there a "meh" moment in the show? Not that I can remember. Billy Gunn was even in a pretty good match on live television in 2022 lol. And it was so great to send us all home happy with OC finally winning gold!

• Like 6

On 10/13/2022 at 4:38 PM, Craig H said:

So...Is Hangman winning next week? Historically, if a babyface practically guarantees victory or promises it, it usually happens. And Moxley is still owed a vacation. It's either that, or Hangman loses and he gets his friends, the Young Bucks, back.

Me and friends are going to Full Gear and with it being a bigger gut punch of Max taking it off Hanger than Mox it feels like that's probably the road to go down... fuck.....

So I was watching Impact last night and got to thinking that while Mox is probably wrestler of the year for this year, one can make a really compelling case for Josh Alexander too save for the fact that nobody watches the weirdly good these days Thursday show. But then I thought again that it should just be Nyla.

Nyla forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Certainly do. Fuck Hogan. Hated Hulk Hogan ever since a kid as he couldn't wrestle, always won, his backstage politics and even more, he's a fucking racist. 

I like CM Punk.

I think the Young Bucks are overrated. There's things in life you either get or don't. Adam Cole's the latter, he's never done anything for me.

And now you've gone and hurt his feelingsMay be an image of 1 person and text that says 'When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside. T' dry S Day 5'

• Haha 3

On 10/13/2022 at 8:52 AM, Matt D said:

I will say that this made something click for me with Hangman that hadn't before. There was a lot of talk about the ball being dropped with him after he won the title, how the long story was over and there was nowhere to go with him, how it was a shame that wrestling is ever ongoing because it meant the arc couldn't be finished. In some ways, that's kind of the point with him. It's always going to be a struggle. It's always going to be a challenge. Sometimes, finding the next thing is the challenge. Sometimes it's chasing the belt. Sometimes it's keeping the belt. Sometimes it's losing the belt. Sometimes it's standing up for your friends. Sometimes it's trying to decide between your "cool" friends and your "dorky ones". Sometimes it's facing down the guy who is everything you want to be (or that society demands that you be). But the guy is sort of a never-ending story engine so long as you're not looking for resolution but instead leaning into the fact that every day will always be a struggle.

Now, it's up to Khan and Page to figure out how to make that into money and matches, but in some ways it's perfect for the serialized, never-ending nature of pro wrestling TV.

Been marinating on this for a few days. Its similar to Eddie Kingston's character. Eddie an everyman, for him its the struggle, Its the hero in the greek tragedy always reaching beyond his grasp. Win or Lose the audience gets its catharsis. However you don't want to beat him too much or he's a loveable loser like the Chicago Cubs for a 100 years. And he can't go on some 8 month unbeaten streak or you would risk robbing him of all his Eddie Kingstonness  I felt they got this right by having him lose to Jericho and Sammy but taking his pound of flesh in the process. Be interesting to see if they can strike a similar balance with Hangman. Like my old wrestling coach said "99% wrestlers fail to meet their goals" because unless you win an Olympic medal and immediately retire you just keep setting goals 

• Like 4

On 10/13/2022 at 12:20 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Speaking of podcasts it's interesting that MJF referenced Regal  as Regal started his pod talking about MJF.  Regal saw promise in then-19-year-old MJF but there wasn't a slot in NXT for him.  Then Regal went on to discuss what it means to be a villain versus just playing one.  It sounded a lot like the main criticisms that people have here about MJF actually.  That one's definitely worth checking out and might as well stay to hear him talk the brass knuckles and the "Kiss My Ass Club".

Listened to this based on your recommendation, and I'll be damned if "I introduced Jon Moxley to Roddy Piper, I wouldn't do the same for MJF" isn't an absolutely scathing thing to express. I don't if it's possible to get all of the bite of Regal's meandering wisdom onto TV, but I'm certainly looking even more forward to Mox-MJF after hearing that. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Thanks 1

I want to like Adam Cole. 

In his opening few months, he had a great match with Jungle Boy, the 6 man against Jurassic Express on the PPV, the Lights Out match with Cassidy were all excellent too. 

But that's it. I've seen his douche heel cheating to deny someone their rightful due, the 6th best guy in a match more than holding up his share of the deal and overconfident heel underestimates opponent and pays for it. There's no variety in these templates, you've seen them once, you've seen them all. 

The other stuff - his never ending pretend-classics against Page/Gargano/Ciampa, his babyface stuff against O'Reilly, the Undisputed Era stuff just didn't interest me whatsoever. 

If he's able to tweak those above 3 templates to be less cookie cutter "pose/taunt, long heat segment, way too short comeback, low blow, shocked face kickout drama" and vary the tempo, the story being told, or even any ability to show vulnerability in his presentation, I'll watch, but he's definitely the first guy I fast forwarding on AEW programming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Listened to this based on your recommendation, and I'll be damned if "I introduced Jon Moxley to Roddy Piper, I wouldn't do the same for MJF" isn't an absolutely scathing thing to express. I don't if it's possible to get all of the bite of Regal's meandering wisdom onto TV, but I'm certainly looking even more forward to Mox-MJF after hearing that. 

Haha, I left that part of my post out on purpose so somebody else could hear what I heard.  Regal was definitely doing some kayfabe but assuming that's true it speaks volumes.  And yeah, Mox/MJF is gonna rule so hard. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 8:18 AM, Pete said:

Apropos of nothing, the Acclaimed have gotten over to the point where that siren in their music hits people like Austin's glass shattering. Absolutely ridiculous, in the best possible way. I just wish they weren't stuck in this dog's dick of a feud with Sterling of all people. The golden goose has barely started laying eggs and here you are looking for a hatchet?

THANK YOU! 

On 10/12/2022 at 10:58 PM, Phantom Lord said:

I thought it was a pretty good show tonight. As usual some matches over delivered.  Jungle Boy/Luchasarus went on way too long. I want to see the Jungle Boy/Christian feud, but unless this is a masterful work by Christian, we're not gonna get that match until what Double Or Nothing in May? Since he lost maybe he should take some time to readjust or something. He's one of those guys treading water now.

Swerve vs. Billy was all right. But man I hope we don't see many Daddy Ass matches in the future. Can't believe he was teasing a moon in 2022.

The post match thing with Smart Mark Sterling was dumb. I understand the scissor thing might be way more over then they intended. But him doing the trademark thing was just stupid. Plus we're getting almost the same angle with The Firm now having Private Party after buying their contracts. Legal gimmicks can be over done.

WARJoe continue to dominate which is good for them. I like the ROH angles on the show, but it would be nice if they had their own show for it. Rebrand one of the Dark shows for ROH if it comes to it.

Great promo by Moxley and Hangman. Hangman needs a win, but we all know he's not getting it. 

Speaking of ROH, I was surprised the Jericho/Bryan match kicked off the 9pm hour. I thought they were going to go an hour before I forgot there were still other matches to go. It was a good match, but not as good as the first two. Garcia's turn on Bryan should have happened last week. But what's done is done. Bryan vs. Garcia with this personal touch should be good though.

The women's tag was good. I missed Shida on my television. Why they don't use her more I don't know. Build up to Shida vs. Hayter over the Women's title in 2023 please.

Pac vs. Orange was probably their best match yet. Pac really is a bastard and I liked how he kept going for the hammer. Cassidy needed this win desperately and I'm glad he got it.

Thanks to Phantom Lord for summing up my thoughts on Dynamite so accurately and thoroughly.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:44 AM, Greggulator said:

I actually think Adam Cole returning to save ROH from Chris Jericho would be a pretty great feud.

Then Punk can save ROH from Cole, and Hangman could save ROH from Punk, ... and people can just line up to save ROH. That would be hilarious.

I’m expecting that, if ROH does eventually get a tv deal, it will be a one-hour show and Tony Khan will already have signed several times the number of people he can effectively use on the show.  

I still think best use of an ROH show would be to develop the people already on the roster who either aren’t getting tv time or may eventually main-event down the road.  Putting Yuta and Garcia at the top of the ROH card along with maybe Darby or Jungle Boy and a few alums like Claudio and a Joe.  Fill out the midcard with Silver and the Dark crew.  Nothing against the Kingdom, but I’m skeptical they add anything to the AEW or ROH roster.  

Then again, two of the three were in the WWE.  Maybe Tony needed them to complete his Ex-WWE bingo card.

On 10/12/2022 at 8:58 PM, Phantom Lord said:

Swerve vs. Billy was all right. But man I hope we don't see many Daddy Ass matches in the future. Can't believe he was teasing a moon in 2022.

We talk about Matt Hardy and Chris Jericho being masters of innovation but Daddy Ass is the opposite of that. Billy Gunn is a lot like Xpac and Dolph that once he found a gimmick that worked he never updated it leading to "xpac heat". Only now it seems to have gone full circle into nostalgia 

• Like 2