DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 10/12/2022

I didn't watch all of the show because I was letting the Phillies torment me last night. 

As far as from what I watched, because there's so much I like and dislike at once:

1) The Mox/Page exchange was awesome. Like Matt D said - the promo set up their differences so incredibly well. I missed Hangman's Rise since I wasn't watching AEW yet. But I really understood it last night. Mox will be ruthless and doesn't have time for the anxiety that comes from being the champ. Page still has that anxiety and depression and his meds aren't working. But, damn it, he's going to fight and fight hard. I also loved how he complimented Mox on being a family man and how he was in many ways the person he wanted to be - someone who, despite his own demons, doesn't carry the weight of the world on his shoulders but instead has the title. 

Page really came across as so relatable. AEW is a promotion that caters to wrestling nerds -- those of us who post like dorks here, or go to comic conventions, and collect figurines. AEW also has really made it a point to talk about mental health, especially through Kingston. I have no idea if Page really has those issues or not. But I do know that I have those issues, and I know what it's like to battle through them when I'm struggling. And while I don't have a Southern twang or wear THOSE pants... I really appreciate seeing a dude who is a lot like me pushing that boulder up the hill just like I do. 

2) But man, having MJF watch these banger promos is such a distraction. The whole live crowd was focused on MJF, not on Mox/Page. And a live crowd looking at someone else takes away from watching it on TV. I get that MJF is looming over all of this. But we all know that. It's easy enough to fix -- don't do his reveal until after the promo ends. 

3) The MJF promo about his darkside was decent. But it was so muddled because of the plot points. I don't think he and Yuta should have hand a handshake tease to start with. It's not their characters. Then when you reference it and MJF doesn't know how he would respond - why the f are you bringing it up? And then why are you teasing dissension with Stokely already? He just started having these goons when the storyline began. He needs to actually use them effectively for a little while before a breakup should happen. 

All of 2 and 3 is just making everything so ridiculously complicated. Just have Mox and Page fight for the belt. Have MJF looming without being a distraction. Have MJF focused on doing anything and everything to win by whatever sleazy means necessary. It's like last week - why is Private Party's drama anywhere near a World Title segment? 

4) I didn't watch OC/Pac in its full yet. I just wanted to see the end. The best ends to AEW shows are ones where the Best Friends crew end triumphantly. The orange confetti and the hug at the end was awesome. Only way it could have been better is if Sue showed up and picked them all up in the minivan, but guessing she doesn't have a passport.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

Best Friends celebration was made better when they went off-air because Kris Statlander came out to join them. 

That's awesome! I forgot she was supposed to get the TBS title at Grand Slam. Wonder if they were originally slotted for the Trios so all could be belted up, but switched to the AA with her injury (nothing to indicate that, just speculating)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Page really came across as so relatable. AEW is a promotion that caters to wrestling nerds -- those of us who post like dorks here, or go to comic conventions, and collect figurines. AEW also has really made it a point to talk about mental health, especially through Kingston. I have no idea if Page really has those issues or not. But I do know that I have those issues, and I know what it's like to battle through them when I'm struggling. And while I don't have a Southern twang or wear THOSE pants... I really appreciate seeing a dude who is a lot like me pushing that boulder up the hill just like I do. 

Hangman really does have those issues to the point where they made it a running gag and then a t-shirt that he's an anxious millennial cowboy. The current severity of them I have no idea, but first kids are rough so I'd imagine he's probably on the struggle bus just a little bit more than usual.

37 minutes ago, Casey said:

Best Friends celebration was made better when they went off-air because Kris Statlander came out to join them. 

Aw man, that's so sweet. I wish they had time to show that on TV.

• Like 3

I will say that this made something click for me with Hangman that hadn't before. There was a lot of talk about the ball being dropped with him after he won the title, how the long story was over and there was nowhere to go with him, how it was a shame that wrestling is ever ongoing because it meant the arc couldn't be finished. In some ways, that's kind of the point with him. It's always going to be a struggle. It's always going to be a challenge. Sometimes, finding the next thing is the challenge. Sometimes it's chasing the belt. Sometimes it's keeping the belt. Sometimes it's losing the belt. Sometimes it's standing up for your friends. Sometimes it's trying to decide between your "cool" friends and your "dorky ones". Sometimes it's facing down the guy who is everything you want to be (or that society demands that you be). But the guy is sort of a never-ending story engine so long as you're not looking for resolution but instead leaning into the fact that every day will always be a struggle.

Now, it's up to Khan and Page to figure out how to make that into money and matches, but in some ways it's perfect for the serialized, never-ending nature of pro wrestling TV.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Casey said:

45 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's awesome! I forgot she was supposed to get the TBS title at Grand Slam. Wonder if they were originally slotted for the Trios so all could be belted up, but switched to the AA with her injury (nothing to indicate that, just speculating)

Fe6mA-wWAAAMqsL?format=png&name=360x360

Fe6l-EBWIAAE0ak?format=png&name=360x360

Really sucks Kris Statlander has to go through this injury again.

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Aw man, that's so sweet. I wish they had time to show that on TV.

I think Kris Statlander joining Best Friends will probably be added to AEW's YouTube Channel. AEW on YouTube has shown previous things after Dynamite ending.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I'm unconvinced Danielson is better on the mike than Punk or Jericho.

More fundamentally, I don't buy the argument that the best performer should be world champ.

That's fair enough. Just my personal  preference in this case. Unabashed Bryan mark, so my bias is clear.

• Like 3

Two things to note: 

• Orange Cassidy has his two best AEW matches against British dudes (PAC, Will Ospreay) so he needs to go to the UK and wrestle everybody in RevPro and Wrestle Force for the strap.
  • So the invigoration of the women's division and the hiring of Madison Rayne happen at the same time.  Hmmmmmm.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, just drew said:

Imagine thinking Danielson is a better promo than Mox. I love Dragon, but this is an objectively horrible take. Just an absolute garbage can fire of an opinion.

Again fair enough. Very biased toward Bryan. I don't  see it like you or most others. We agree to disagree on this, Drew.

Loved that ending and in general love the eternal rivalry between OC-PAC since they're such opposites of each other, it works so well.

OC finally defeats the bastard after years of trying, such a feel good moments as is usually the case with Best Friends stuff. Felt a little bit of that overwhelming wrestling happiness/emotion when the 3 count happened, you know what i mean.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

It's weird how quickly it's playing out, but I'm very much into the Firm/MJF drama.  Mostly I'm just intrigued by the idea of an MJF who has to go into a major feud without a reliable goon squad to take out his opponent and has to become a much meaner piece of shit instead.

They should just let Nyla keep the TBS title.  Never explain it; it's just hers now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AaronMLuke said:

Again fair enough. Very biased toward Bryan. I don't  see it like you or most others. We agree to disagree on this, Drew.

Not like I’ve ever let my personal opinion on certain wrestlers lead me to make asinine statements regarding their wrestling ability or productivity as human beings or anything…

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

So was the Renee hire a thank you for Jon being so dependable? They seem like an opposites attract type couple. Thought She'd do all the backstage bits but Tony still did the jericho interview

She went over that on her podcast today.  If you have 40 minutes it's worth checking out.  But basically she wanted back in and loved the times she would go to shows with Jon as a guest.  And I've heard enough from Renee to feel her and Jon aren't as opposite as you would think.  Either way I think they're quite the incredible couple.

Speaking of podcasts it's interesting that MJF referenced Regal  as Regal started his pod talking about MJF.  Regal saw promise in then-19-year-old MJF but there wasn't a slot in NXT for him.  Then Regal went on to discuss what it means to be a villain versus just playing one.  It sounded a lot like the main criticisms that people have here about MJF actually.  That one's definitely worth checking out and might as well stay to hear him talk the brass knuckles and the "Kiss My Ass Club".

Finally regarding Hangman that promo was incredible and it's something I've been thinking about today.  I'm going to meet him Sunday and I'm honestly not sure what to bring up.  Do we end up spending the whole time talking old games like Banjo Kazooie? (my wife would mainly drive that discussion)  Do we talk about his long path to the title?  Mental health?  Baking sourdough bread during a pandemic?  All of the above?  Considering the line and only so much time to talk I don't know.  But I'm highly excited to find out.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

weird how quickly it's playing out, but I'm very much into the Firm/MJF drama.  Mostly I'm just intrigued by the idea of an MJF who has to go into a major feud without a reliable goon squad to take out his opponent and has to become a much meaner piece of shit instead.

I love your idea, but I'm not sure if that's where we're heading, only because Stokely's face made it look like he had something/someone for MJF. I don't think they'd bitch Stoke out like that unless he was going to get some measure of revenge (though I guess there isn't really any reason they couldn't run with both ideas in parallel, unless MJF is turning babyface)... which (finally) brings me to my point:

I could be way off base, but I would assume the textbook thinking would be turning MJF babyface(ish?) through no actions of his own, but just by garnering sympathy via a Big Cass beat down or whatever. This way, when he starts heeling it up again, doesn't matter if its a month from now or two years from now, he can go with the idea of never having said or done anything to make us think he's a babyface, and in actuality, WE'RE the white trash dummies with the losing sports team, and he's better than us, yada yada.

5 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Finally regarding Hangman that promo was incredible and it's something I've been thinking about today.  I'm going to meet him Sunday and I'm honestly not sure what to bring up.  Do we end up spending the whole time talking old games like Banjo Kazooie? (my wife would mainly drive that discussion)  Do we talk about his long path to the title?  Mental health?  Baking sourdough bread during a pandemic?  All of the above?  Considering the line and only so much time to talk I don't know.  But I'm highly excited either way to find out.

So about your match layout..........................................................................................................................................

EDIT: I mean, it's your time, but I think he'd probably be glad to hear that people have been discussing his promo (and his journey) maturely and how they related to it and how it moved them relative to their own struggles and their daily lives, etc. I know that it matters to me that you guys are so affected by it.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

Yeah, no kidding.  I know that was one of the main things we wanted to discuss with Malakai when he was advertised.  Though with all that went down of course he's not appearing now which makes sense.  But if Eddie comes around to one of these conventions that would surely be the main conversation.

• Like 4

So...Is Hangman winning next week? Historically, if a babyface practically guarantees victory or promises it, it usually happens. And Moxley is still owed a vacation. It's either that, or Hangman loses and he gets his friends, the Young Bucks, back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

So...Is Hangman winning next week? Historically, if a babyface practically guarantees victory or promises it, it usually happens. And Moxley is still owed a vacation. It's either that, or Hangman loses and he gets his friends, the Young Bucks, back.

One of the things AEW does well is having matches where the winner is really in doubt. In this case, I have to think they stick with Mox, but who knows?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Log said:

I'm over the "pillars" talk in AEW, but your post and Matt's made me think that Hangman and MJF should really be the the guys they build around for the future. They're sort of a yin and yang to each other. Both are young guys who have insecurities but go about dealing with them in very different ways. I could see them orbiting each other for years. I wouldn't want to see a Cena/Orton thing where they feud off and on for what feels like forever, but they'd always sort of be there as the top guys and occasionally they'd clash.

but isn't Page "an empty headed dumb fuck who goes into business for himself"  in the eyes of many?

• Haha 1