DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 10/5/2022!

DEAN

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm beginning to feel like an idiot about this, by the way - I bought tickets for Grand Slam and the two dates up in Connecticut as soon as they went on sale and got screeeeeeewed. There are tickets in the same section slashed by almost half, if I'm reading this chart correctly

After the initial onsale, I didn't think I'd likely be going to this Toronto show, and was a bit disappointed. I'd say the peace of mind is worth something. It's a bit of gamble. I wouldn't be surprised for future dates to hear ppl airing grievances that they didn't get tickets when they were available. I think it's best to pay as little mind as possible to anything to do with criminal mastermind ticketmaster and their fluctuating prices. It'll all work out if or when the shows are fun (which as you know they generally are).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, just drew said:

Over a million again. Wonder what it’ll take to grow viewership more…

The OFFICIAL number!  Back over the hump.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, just drew said:

Over a million again. Wonder what it’ll take to grow viewership more…

The Acclaimed getting mainstream attention.

• Like 8

I thought some of the show was really maddening. 

The MJF/Yuta match itself was really good. I kind of thought it should have had a little bit more of a brawling section. But the match itself was a really great story with MJF just being a little bit better than Yuta at their stage of the career. But as someone said above, the post-match shenanigans were really dumb and the exact opposite of the entire story we've seen so far. 

1) Yuta went at Max because of what he did to Tony, on top of the unspoken BCC rivalry with him. I'd imagine they wouldn't be fans of how he got the chip, either. Yuta actually sneaked into Max's luxury box to beat the hell out of him and threatened to make him bleed. Max should win the match to build up to Mox or Hangman. I'd prefer if he won via some kind of heel b.s. or not via a clean tap-out. Yuta should not be doing a handshake of request. Max should not be doing this whole "no, get out of here goons coming down for assistance." He just beat up Tony S. a few weeks ago. He should have gotten the ring and eagerly gone after Yuta until cowardly skulking away once Regal came out and showed the knuckles. That whole segment was completely overthought. It didn't ruin anything, but it was just bad storytelling.

2) Darby/Lethal was fine. But then they had a whole handshake thing right after the earlier confusing handshake thing. Man, just have one friggin' handshake thing a show. Or make sure it's under the ROH flag and part of the ROH rules but not an AEW match. Just weird.

3) I liked the woman's match a lot. I liked the curveball with Willow getting the pin and using that to set up a match with Jade. But that promo segment... someone pointed out in the chat that Willow challenging Jade for the third time was not exactly a selling point. There are other ways to make the match interesting, like probably anything else.

4) The Acclaimed segment ruled. Perfect segment for what they were going for. Like what Matt D said - Bowens has megastar potential. I mean, The Acclaimed both do. But Bowens really pops as someone who could absolutely be the leading man of a promotion someday. Swerve is a really great heel. I'm not breaking new ground by saying that but he has been so so so good.

5) Page/Rush was really good. I loved how Rush took The Buckshot. It looked like a total murder move. 

5A) But man, again overthinking it. The whole Private Party stuff was pointless. Just have Mox come out. Make it simple. No need to tie in the plight of the 19325th most important tag team on the roster and where their loyalties lie, especially when the guy who was the antagonist in the story might be gone. The big match is Mox/Page. Just focus on that. Mox's promo was really good in giving Hangman respect, which he really needs and should get. And Hangman being a man of few words who got the "Cowboy Shit" chant after was exactly spot-on for what he should be doing. 

6) Jungle Boy vs. Lucha/Christian has passed its expiration date. They hit a snag since Christian got hurt so I can't really fault them for that. But JB and Lucha should have their match already. Rip into each other and move on.

7) I liked the main event a lot. It was a really good match with three legit great guys and Sammy. I liked the one taunt Sammy and Jericho did when they were posing on the floor together. They felt like Jericho actually sat down to show him when there was a good time for a taunt. I really liked the end, too. Great way to continue the story. 

I hate to be so negative about the show. The in-ring stuff was all quality. But just the larger narratives are getting screwy. 

The one thing I do love about it though is that there is a certain corner of the promotion that you can tell are veterans who act professionally in Mox/Jericho/Dragon. Those guys have gone out of their way to make a lot of other people look really strong in Yuta, Garcia and the rest of the JAS. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, DEAN said:

The Acclaimed getting mainstream attention.

They're one Rolling Stone feature away about Max dropping political hits in his raps and the story of Bowens' life and sexuality and why scissoring has caught on from being crossover huge. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

2) Darby/Lethal was fine. But then they had a whole handshake thing right after the earlier confusing handshake thing. Man, just have one friggin' handshake thing a show. Or make sure it's under the ROH flag and part of the ROH rules but not an AEW match. Just weird.

Someone needs to forcibly give TK a Memento tattoo that says "Don't book the same angle in two consecutive matches" because his ass keeps forgetting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

6) Jungle Boy vs. Lucha/Christian has passed its expiration date. They hit a snag since Christian got hurt so I can't really fault them for that. But JB and Lucha should have their match already. Rip into each other and move on.

I kinda feel that JB ceiling is Arn Anderson as TV champ, a guy who can give you solid work rate week in and week out but not someone whom you can necessarily build a main event program around. I think him holding a secondary title where he doesn't have to talk much or get involved in major angles is gonna be as good as it gets

• Like 1

I forgot to comment last night about the show. I thought it was good as usual despite the backstage chaos that is apparently going on.

Max/Yuta was a solid match. Didn't expect a clean tap out win like that for MJF. I expect him to win in bigger matches by shenanigan's. Feet on the ropes, a roll of dimes. Something like that. I was hoping the feud between these two would go longer, but they set up an interesting story about MJF not wanting The Firm to run in. Perhaps he made a bad deal with Stoakley and can't get out of it. That would actually be an interesting twist.

Darby/Lethal was fine. Lethal is treading water till the eventual ROH tv show that happens somewhere. I want to see Darby back in a title hunt though. Wardlow vs. Darby for the TNT title would be fun.

The women's match was fun. Willow is hard to hate so I was pleasantly surprised seeing her get the win. I really hope Saraya is cleared to wrestle because it was fun seeing her fight again.

I can't believe how over The Acclaimed are with this scissor stuff. Billy Gunn of all people getting a third act in his career is amazing. I liked how they set up Swerve v.s Billy for next week.

Hangman vs. RUSH was good. Kinda sucks for Rush to get officially signed and take a big loss right off the bat. But i think like Lethal he's just treading water till they figure out what to do with ROH. Moxley coming out afterwards set up a big fight feel for the Hangman/Mox match. I though Moxley turned it into a last man standing match when he dropped that line in the promo but so far nothing about that. Can't wait to see that match.

The Jungleboy/Lucha feud could be better, but I think it hinges on how this match between them goes. They need a falls count anywhere match or something because I can't see Lucha taking all of Jungleboy's high spots. But yeah I agree with the notion that the Jungle Boy/Christian feud has fizzled. They could have had Jungle Boy "break" Christians arm so that gives him an excuse to be out for a while. Christian being there and not being able to fight really waters things down.

The main event was good. Sadly it wasn't some elaborate ploy by the JAS to beat up Bryan like he was Sting with The Horsemen, but it was good none the less. Garcia vs. Jericho in a title for title match is gonna be good when they get to that point. I would assume the next ROH PPV whenever that is.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Six of the last seven shows are over a million. They don't have any Saturday shows coming up, do they? That's what blew the post-Punk momentum last year.

no Saturdays. The week after next being moved to Tuesday (Oct 18) is the only change this time around. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Someone needs to forcibly give TK a Memento tattoo that says "Don't book the same angle in two consecutive matches" because his ass keeps forgetting.

I guess another one that read "and if you already did that, don't have them both go down the way!" wouldn't hurt, either? Because even that track record isn't stellar!

Anyway, good matches this week, as usual. But Fuego is back to a losing record and Rush is now even 5-5. In his case, this is what happens when basically all your matches are against top level talent!

• Like 2

That 6 woman tag was fun. Not sold on Hayter at the moment. The crowd loves her, but much like Toni I think she lacks camera presence and charisma when she isnt wrestling her ass off. I don't think there is a better female athlete on The AEW roster than Athena nor a more natural baby face than Willow.

Everything about Willow is clicking right now. She's literally lightning in a bottle. Sadly I don't think she's taking Jade down so not taking great advantage of all of the steam and momentum is questionable. What are they doing with Nyla vs Jade? This is the second time they have teased an angle with them... 

• Like 4

We are totally on the same page with Willow (hence the like) but could not be further apart on Hayter @AverageKong I think the "lightning" statement in your second paragraph could easily apply to Hayter - NY and Philly went banana for her! I guess it's kind of a good problem to have, in the end

• Like 2