DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 10/5/2022!

DEAN

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Sammy lost the opener to Cody of the first Dynamite, then joined/formed the Inner Circle at the end of it. I think this one was made unclean via Jericho hitting Garcia with the title.

Dang it I totally forgot that, was pretty tired after a long day.

• Like 1

I caught the first hour or so live on the TBS app so I suffered through PiP, and the rest this morning on the way in. I'll have to double back for Lethal/Darby again as I missed the finish and have to write it up on Monday. 

Look, let me lead with this. I don't know what the rest of the internet is doing but I bet a lot of people out there are probably whining about FTR vs Gates of Agony as FTR being wasted or Gates not mattering or whatever, and I see post after post here looking forward to it. Sometimes I'll see people absolutely amazed that DVDVR still exists or missing the old days or whatever, and you know what? I'm happy with them not knowing that or being unable to figure out how to work a part of the internet that you have to go to instead of having it come to you, because people here being open to how much fun that match could be is absolute gold. There's no place one can go that's better than here (which is a testament to here but also a damnation of everywhere else, so don't get too puffed up). Plus, we all remember that Dark match with FTR trying to figure out how to navigate Toa that was so great, right? I'll find it and post it later. We all went nuts for it at the time. 

Bullet time then.

• I liked the venue overall and I liked the crowd overall. I get that three years ago they were in a bigger building or whatever but this felt like a dedicated crowd that really wanted to be there and they were hot for all sorts of things.
  • MJF vs Yuta navigated the balance between heated feud and workrate showcase better than I was expecting but about as well as I hoped. I had doubts during the pin exchanges but they pushed through it. The crowd started out half and half for Yuta and MJF and ended it, during Yuta's big comeback with big Yuta chants, which is everything you could hope for. The armwork came and went during the match but never so much that it took me out of things. It was a storybeat that could be returned to but wasn't Max's sole focus. More of an opportunity. Finish looked nasty and it's nice he has an escalation since he'll probably be champ soon. I was wary on the post-match handshake deal, primarily because it was followed by the video package where Jericho interrupted Garcia/Danielson shaking, but then it became sort of a theme for the night so it ended up ok. Oh, last thought. I thought MJF was working in a few more character-driven mannerisms. Sometimes the stooging is a little much given his place in the hierarchy but there are other bits he's doing, especially on offense that set him apart.
  • What I saw of Lethal/Darby was good. Tony was struggling a bit on the mic here. He works really hard to get one good idea/thought and presses it and sometimes it hits and sometimes it doesn't. With JR gone, he has to do a bit more but I did laugh at Taz bringing up his kid's sport. The leg made for a good opening and it was fun to see Darby try to hit stuff one-legged. I'll have to go back for this Monday.
  • Between how MJF/Yuta and Cage/Wardlow were worked, I pretty much had this show down yesterday afternoon. Let me put it this way. That's not necessarily how I want guys that size working, but it's not about the means but the end, and here, the end still felt impactful. There weren't a lot of points where I thought they were doing something more complex when something simple would have made more sense. We just had a match on Dark where Tracy Williams was overwhelmed by Cage because he couldn't handle both the size AND the agility. If Wardlow was just size, he would have been in the same boat, but he was able to meet him with both. I think the crowd wasn't sure what to make of it until he hit the whisper in the wind like he was Jeff Hardy (and between that and the Swanton, he kind of is). After that they went up for everything. Cage is a guy who is full of himself but that translates into his ringwork as he projects a sort of confidence that kind of looks stupid if the fans aren't on board with it, but by the middle of the match, they were, so it elevated everything. Joe really booked it out there to make the save and then the place went nuts for FTR. Dax's intensity of just staring worked. Bring on the tag match, though I really hope this also leads to a Joe/Wardlow vs FTR match. 
  • Women's match was great. Everyone was over. I almost wanted Ford to be in there more just because she wouldn't split the crowd as much. Deeb is one of my favorite wrestlers on the roster in general, but I love it when the crowd's into her, because she seems to just thrive and feed off of it, like she's so glad just to be alive and in there after years of not wrestling. She got a great pop coming out and then Hayter got an even bigger one. You almost felt for the faces here, as they were over and did nothing wrong but they still got eclipsed. Speaking of that, Athena landing on her feet on one early exchange was nuts, as was Ford somehow recovering after the matrix to hit the super bad cutter. They did a good job of making Saraya getting physically involved seem like a huge shock.
  • I get that Bowens was doing a sort of DC-inspired stump speech promo so that gave him lines to work in, but man was he good. If he stays healthy, he could be a years-long babyface ace for the company in a couple of years. I really believe that. Sometimes they don't strike at the right moment with something like this, but here they absolutely did. 
  • Rush vs Page was good, and exactly as I thought it'd be. Page has a lot to bring to the table if a heel (or a monster like Mox or Archer) controls and dominates the pace and takes it to him. Rush didn't give him room to breathe. All he could do was fire back and hit hard. That meant that his fall away slam was a hope spot, his springboard clothesline/tope was the transition, and his death valley driver cemented the comeback and started things toward the finish. That's so much better than him hitting them haphazardly in the first few minutes of the match like he does in matches he's controlling. His stuff can all be slotted in but he needs someone go lead him by the nose. It happened here and it was very good. 
  • Luchasaurus vs Fuego felt a little tacked on but they needed to set up another match for Toronto. I do sort of feel bad for Fuego. He feels like he was hurt by the one-two of Cody leaving and Sammy going back heel.
  • I need to rewatch the main for Monday. If I was going to book it straight like this, I probably would have at least kept Garcia on the apron for a while. Maybe have him fight with Sammy early but then put some doubt in there whether it was a double-cross waiting to happen or not (with Sammy knocking him off the apron once or twice) until a hot tag and he showed where his loyalties were. I will say this, the match gave us some novel pairings in Garcia vs Jericho, Garcia vs Sammy, and Danielson vs Sammy, but that sort of just hammers home how we really don't need to see Jericho vs Danielson 3. The finish of Sammy winning didn't bother me even with what went on earlier in the day because it was so clearly Jericho and the belt shot that got the win. Danielson's bump onto the table/belt was very nasty. Hopefully he's ok but he has a story to go into the next match regardless.

Overall, I though it was a great show and just what they needed. The problem is that good AEW news only seems to last a few hours these days.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I shoulda went to this damn show. Little DC Arena felt like Korakuen.

I considered going, but I didn't because the parking for that arena is atrocious. I know AEW can't factor in all things but if they wanted a smaller arena I wish they'd gone to the EagleBank Arena like ROH did and WWE does for house shows sometimes. Yes its closer to me so slightly selfish, but it has tons of parking and not a lot of traffic around it, much easier to get in and out of. I couldn't justify the cost of an Uber so I just opted not to go, I was pretty sad about it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Wheeler Yuta IS RVD!

MJF's "WHOA WHOA WHOA SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP" body language was a pretty brilliant way to cover his skooching into position for the splash. He is really fantastic at the little things... like I keep saying, he's a modern-day Tully Blanchard. A rat bastard heel who can also wrestle his ass off whenever necessary. That said, they need to be careful with the Firm stuff or he's going to be radioactive. Radioactive.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

That said, they need to be careful with the Firm stuff or he's going to be radioactive. Radioactive.

OH GOD DAMMIT!

• Haha 2

No more Wardlow squashes. Let him have matches like this every two weeks, mostly with big dudes, but throw in a Dante Martin every now and then to mix it up.

Women's match was a huge course correction after last week. Everyone looked great and the win really elevated Willow. Maybe she'll beat Jade?

I have to believe we're getting Paige v Britt or why hire Paige? If they can build to that while elevating Willow, Ford, Hayter, etc, Great! 

• Like 2

Women's match was the only one that really exceeded or lived up to my hype. That was really good and it's fun to see the actual wrestling of the division come along so quickly and so well, despite the storyline stuff still needing a lot of work.

I'm so glad my friend didn't buy tickets to the Toronto show. That is not a good lineup and I have so little interest in another Danielson/Jericho match. For a roster so large, it really feels so small at the moment.

That episode was fun as fuck to watch. I think if I had anything to nitpick it would be the opener because I hate MJF's whole act of being conflicted because it's clear he's not. It just looks dumb and it makes the babyface look dumb. Even in losses, they need to make Yuta look strong instead of like an idiot. I'd have booked him to walk past MJF and spit in his face as he went by or cup check MJF as he went by because that's what a proper villain like Regal would do.

Man, how must Brian Cage feel to be in the ring with a dude who can do everything you can do, but better, looks better than you, doesn't need to do as many steroids, and can have the crowd in the palm of their hand? Enjoyed the post match stuff.

In fact, the post match stuff there, the opener, and the women's match were all examples of AEW doing something they were known for and have received little recognition for lately - friends actually coming out to help their friends or rather, faces coming out to help faces. Joe coming out to help Wardlow? Totally makes sense. FTR coming out to even the odds and help their friend Wardlow and help out a grizzled vet in Joe? Fucking awesome. Max's gets given a ring to hit Wheeler with and Regal comes out with brass knux. Britt decides to do her thing post match and Saraya jumps in there to make sure her friends don't look like idiots.

Willow winning is some real feel good shit. That was awesome.

Dudes. My dudes. National Scissoring Day fucking rocked. Holy shit. Matt D already pointed it out, but watching Bowens out there was like watching a guy who is on the verge of being a top babyface. Then you have Swerve come out and I swear I started getting these Austin, Rock, HHH, and Mankind vibes from those guys. They looked like they're RIGHT THERE and so close to being top guys. In a year or two I wouldn't be shocked to see Swerve vs Bowens be the top feud. Swerve is such a great heel and Bowens is such a great face. Pure enjoyment. Just so much fun.

The main event shocked me. Totally shocked me that they didn't go what felt like the obvious route of Garcia turning on Danielson. This is one of those instances that while rare, totally works when AEW subverts expectations. So many times TK does by the numbers booking and by the numbers booking would dictate that they've been conning Danielson this whole time to really put him under Jericho's boot in Toronto. Instead, they have a proper match and it's so fucking good. Again, watching Garcia out there is watching another guy who is so close to being a star. He has that crowd eating out of his hand and this storyline of battling for the pro wrestling soul of Daniel Garcia has been one of my favorites this year. And look, I don't give a fuck about backstage shit while watching the show. That's fucking dumb. It would be like being a Bulls fan and being conflicted watching them win because Rodman did some stuff or Jordan could be an asshole. Stop being dramatic.

Lethal vs Darby and Hangman vs Rrrrrrrush were both pro wrestling as fuck and really good.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

would honestly keep Jade going until Statlander is healthy again. If that's not for 12 months then so be it.

That's a tough one. I really like your idea in theory, and obviously dig Stat and am super bummed she was hurt for Grand Slam, but I feel like Jade holding it for a (hypothetical) year would put her in a similar situation to FTR, where they become so dominant as secondary champions that it begins to make no sense why they haven't challenged for the world title (though, on the flip side, AEW has never explicitly stated whether or not their on-screen rules indicate that Jade would have to vacate the TBS title should she become World champion, ala US champ Goldberg or IC champ Warrior).

I'll also say this: while I'm over the moon Willow is getting a shot, whether Jade drops it here or down the line, they *really* need to have a good plan in place for her post-streak/title. Hangman winning the title was arguably one of the most cathartic moments ever, but other than the awesome Lights Out matches with Archer and Cole, I wasn't in love with much of the reign/follow-up. Or more appropriately for this situation, let's think about what Miro's TV presence has been like since he lost the TNT title.  I'd think they'd be wise to put in some extra effort with Jade to try and avoid something similar with her title loss.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Let Jade get to 49-0. That's one title match a month for the next 11 months. Otherwise put her in tag matches.

Then she can put out an open challenge for Full Gear 2023.

Lights out. Laser beams.

'Nightmare Collective' appears on the screen.

Lights on. Jade is SHOOK!!!

Bell rings.

Shot of Brandi!!!

New Champ!

Fixed! 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I'm so glad my friend didn't buy tickets to the Toronto show. That is not a good lineup and I have so little interest in another Danielson/Jericho match. For a roster so large, it really feels so small at the moment.

Yeah when I saw how small the Coca Cola building was I figured getting affordable decent seats (let alone three together) would be a dogfight and sure enough it was so I bailed out early. Glad it didn't work out now that the lineup is out, not that it wouldn't have been fun night if good seats weren't nutty $$. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle

Fucked up that the camera cut away from Adam Page offering Aubrey a scissor before his match.  Get your production tightened up, Tony!

MJF's new(?) ring jacket is pretty goddamned cool and way better than the choir robe he was wearing before.

• Like 3

All I could think about during the Main Event was: “I hope Kikuchi sees this match”.  Cuz the angry little brother energy was off the wahzoo!  Honestly it saved the show for me cuz I was in a shitty mood even though I’m in week 2 of my staycation.  “Staycation” a word spell check actually suggested without irony before I finished that sentence.  

Everyone doing their reversal tumbles WAS pretty good.  But I’m just too much of a moody curmudgeon to appreciate it today.  I got into it by the end.  So I’m good.

If there was any irony at all was that this might have been the week to not be envious of those who only watch the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  The crowds got quiet at times and the announcers went full episode of Botchamania chatter.  Not a good idea to fuck off on the hype when a future streaming options highlight should be full length versions of television matches.  Something else that could set them apart from The Helmsleys.

I guess ratings getters get to open the show right?  So MJF opening show is his to own if it beats last week?  He looks like a dipshit hugging that oversized poker chip.  

Jungle Boys message should have been to make it clear to Luchasaurus how hard he was going to kick his ass.  If you’re going to go on about the grievance follow up with the enticing solution.  What WOULD it look like to see that angry little guy stomp a big dude cuzza how bad he fucked up.  

And to crib Bill Hicks: “I AM available for children's parties” 

Sammy up on the shoulders as they went off the air sure smelled like “Fuck you, Andrade” to me.  

I’m good.  I promise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

If there was any irony at all was that this might have been the week to not be envious of those who only watch the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  The crowds got quiet at times and the announcers went full episode of Botchamania chatter.  Not a good idea to fuck off on the hype when a future streaming options highlight should be full length versions of television matches.  Something else that could set them apart from The Helmsleys.

A-fucking-Men! Taz in particular just loves to let down his guard and talk total utter unfunny shit. I sometimes wonder if Audio Editing Tools will be applied to the many terrible calls throughout this 3 year history. Tho, my unrealistic hope is a 'Commentary Off' option when the archives come to fruition on an app. More realistic: looking forward to the ability to choose from Spanish or Japanese commentary options.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Yeah when I saw how small the Coca Cola building was I figured getting affordable decent seats (let alone three together) would be a dogfight and sure enough it was so I bailed out early. Glad it didn't work out now that the lineup is out, not that it wouldn't have been fun night if good seats weren't nutty $$. 

I too was bummed by the initial onsale, but this 'poor ticket sales' story seems true so far as the tickets have been dropping to reasonable prices over the last couple weeks. Random great seats for great deals are happening everyday. As for the card - I might have been loosely with the idea of not needing Danielson-Jericho again, but seeing that match live is a different story. As is my interest being piqued by this Ring of Jericho storyline. Swerve-Daddy Ass and Jungle Jack-Lucha is fine by me. The talk as if this is the final line-up and hence isn't worth going is more than a little absurd, but that's the feelings of somebody who is going and thrilled to see this beloved 3 year old TV program live.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fun show. really liked the two opening matches. MJF always seems to deliver and Yuta is one of my pillars. Love when Darby brings the matt work and Lethal is really good (even if I think they've signed a bunch of guys who kinda deliver the same thing as him although on the other hand maybe the real value in him is he works that style but is a level headed vet backstage)

Brian Alveraz said that the women's segments do better numbers when their are more than just two people out there. So I guess this was a continuation of that. I remember seeing Willow in WOW and thinking "she looks barley trained" and then she broke her neck. now she's a highlight, a great character and the ring work continues to improve. I continue to look forward to seeing Penelope on tv as well I just hope she gets a role bigger than obvious fall taker. IF Sayraya can't wrestle I do question bringing her in, as this would continue Tony K's habit of bringing people in for the sake of a "pop" with no long term plan in place.

You know when Punk wrestled Wardlow people where like why did he make Wardlow look so strong? took the heat off of MJF and onto Mr. Mayhem? Well I don't know who's Idea that is but he's Generation Z's Goldberg. If you never got to see or be apart of the Goldberg entrance here's your chance!

I feel like Roosh is gonna be the next in line of "guy gets signed gets a few high profile TV matches and gets shuffled off to take", signing people for the sake of signing people ect ect.

Sneaky Swerve is so much better as a heel. That whole Scissoring day promo was great! Break out promo by Bowens! I will say Daddy Ass, Ass Boys, And The Acclaimed owe Danhausen a fruit basket as none of this probably happens with out "Daddy Ass and The Ass Boys". Great pro wrestling silliness

Was kinda burned out from the last two matches so off to Youtube I go!

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, zendragon said:

You know when Punk wrestled Wardlow people where like why did he make Wardlow look so strong? took the heat off of MJF and onto Mr. Mayhem?

No, if this was happening I missed it completely. Remember a lot of misguided complaining about Punk pulling a fast one after such a one-sided evisceration.

30 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

too was bummed by the initial onsale, but this 'poor ticket sales' story seems true so far as the tickets have been dropping to reasonable prices over the last couple weeks

I'm beginning to feel like an idiot about this, by the way - I bought tickets for Grand Slam and the two dates up in Connecticut as soon as they went on sale and got screeeeeeewed. There are tickets in the same section slashed by almost half, if I'm reading this chart correctly

• Sad 1