DVDVR Message Board

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 11/11/2022 (Spoilers)

RIPPA

Yeah, that trailer looks fantastic.  Also, it's time for this to be it's own thread, since I'm sure the next month is going to be filled with tons of news and stuff.  

SPOILERS TAG UNTIL 11/11 Y'ALL.

Still hoping for a very particular post-credits scene in relation to how the story supposedly unfolds.

Not exactly thrilled with Shuri as potentially the new Black Panther. I hope they swerve us, but I kind of doubt it. I'm baffled as to why Disney would reward Letitia's dumb fucking comments during the pandemic with handing her a billion dollar franchise, but whatever. 

Visually this looks pretty different from the first Black Panther. Not so... comic book-ey, I guess? I'm here for it.

Angela Bassett 'bout to turn in a hell of a performance (when doesn't she, though?). The first trailer gave me absolute chills with her little monologue.

Saw a pic showcasing all the Wakanda Forever Funko Pops and one surprised me, as the character wasn't mentioned in the supposed plot leak... 

Spoiler

Bucky!

Makes sense, but surprised me a little. Tickets acquired for the Saturday of release weekend. Stoked as fuck. 

I can’t find any Funko lineup picture that has that character. And I frequent Marvel Studios Spoilers on Reddit, lol.

Plus they’re already up for preorder and have shown the entire wave, so…

It was actually on the regular-ass Marvel Studios subreddit but looking for it now I see nothing. Could have easily been a Photoshop but for what purpose? Meanwhile I just figured... 

Spoiler

... since Bucky owes a debt to the Wakandans, him showing up in even a credits scene wouldn't be too wild. 

• RIPPA changed the title to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 11/11/2022 (Spoilers)
  • RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So sad what happened to the late great Chadwick Boseman. Fuck cancer.

I can see both sides to the recast or retire T'Challa/Black Panther role. I really can.

Looks like Shuri will be the new Black Panther. Leaves a real bad taste in the mouth with Letitia Wright. @J.T. nailed it in a previous post. I'd much rather see M'Baku, Okoye, Nakia and even fucking Killmonger on a redemption arc.

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Looks like Shuri will be the new Black Panther. Leaves a real bad taste in the mouth with Letitia Wright. @J.T. nailed it in a previous post. I'd much rather see M'Baku, Okoye, Nakia and even fucking Killmonger on a redemption arc.

I disagree; in my opinion Shuri taking over as Black Panther makes the most sense, and it would be a mistake to let backstage nonsense interfere with that. They can always recast the role if Wright is too toxic.

Recasting would have been a mistake. Having T'Challa have passed away in the movie is a much better way of making it a tribute to Mr Boseman.

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

Recasting would have been a mistake. Having T'Challa have passed away in the movie is a much better way of making it a tribute to Mr Boseman.

Oh, definitely. I meant they could cast somebody else as Shuri if Wright becomes too much of a problem.

We have tickets for Saturday. And then seeing it again the following weekend with my older daughter. I've avoided all reviews and spoilers except for looking to see if M'Baku has a bigger role and he does this time around, so that's awesome.

• Like 1

We’ve got a Movie with a capital M folks. Run do not walk to see this one. Coogler’s made a contemplative meditation on grief full of moral questions and wonder. I could see this sweeping the Oscars in a cakewalk. Bare minimum Angela Bassett will get a nod as far as performances go, but the entire ensemble is excellent. It’s a truly beautiful piece of filmmaking. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, (BP) said:

We’ve got a Movie with a capital M folks. Run do not walk to see this one. Coogler’s made a contemplative meditation on grief full of moral questions and wonder. I could see this sweeping the Oscars in a cakewalk. Bare minimum Angela Bassett will get a nod as far as performances go, but the entire ensemble is excellent. It’s a truly beautiful piece of filmmaking. 

Based on what I’ve read (and I’m seeing the movie Tuesday) I don’t see any way it sweeps or even gets many Oscar nominations in the more prestigious categories. Here’s two articles that suggest it will get a lot, but more in the song, fx, and makeup categories:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/11/2023-oscars-black-panther-wakanda-forever-craft-odds-1234779873/

https://awardsradar.com/2022/11/04/awards-season-oscar-predictions-update-black-panther-wakanda-forever-debuted-and-could-follow-its-predecessor-in-appealing-to-voters/

Personally if the original didn’t win Best Picture, and Chadwick Boseman didn’t win Best Actor I’d give this about a 2% chance of winning Picture, and less than that for anyone being nominated (let alone winning) Best Actor. From the movies I’ve seen this year I’d personally have Tom Cruise or Austin Butler for Best Actor, and either Top Gun or Where The Crawdads Sing as Best Picture (and yes I know there’s a 0% of the later getting nominated).

Edited by LF2