DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON (P&C Report 2/14/23)

RIPPA

Having the MLB regular season end with 15 games on a Wednesday afternoon is kinda dumb if there was anything on the line, and the Brewers and Mets are doing their best to remove drama.

On the other hand, it's kinda on-brand to just wrap up the year with weekday day games (yes I know this is because of the Lockout)

But yeah, the entire Tony return was a big mistake. It should have ended with his managing his last game in the 2012 All-Star Game in the city where he started his pro career (Kansas City). I look forward to the Sox somehow screwing up the process of finding a new manager.

I'd think the power rankings for the current open managerial jobs is.. Angels, White Sox, Rangers. I'd be shocked if the Phillies and Blue Jays don't retain their interim managers. While the White Sox are closer to success, the Angels job might have lower expectations to be deemed successful?

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I'd think the power rankings for the current open managerial jobs is.. Angels, White Sox, Rangers. I'd be shocked if the Phillies and Blue Jays don't retain their interim managers. While the White Sox are closer to success, the Angels job might have lower expectations to be deemed successful?

With Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani (in probably the last year with the club) there is no way the Angels job has lower expectations

And Houston becomes the top job if Dusty decides to retire

Oh yeah. The Marlins. That might be behind the Rangers if the Rangers don’t keep their interim.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

With Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani (in probably the last year with the club) there is no way the Angels job has lower expectations

Just thinking that the path to get the White Sox into the playoffs in this AL Central requires maybe a new player or two and less injuries, while the path to get the Angels to the playoffs in the AL West requires getting some players who can play aside from Ohtani/Trout. The White Sox had more of a manager problem in 2021/22, the Angels have had more of an Owner/GM problem for years

Also the Angels are for sale and who knows if that’ll be resolved by opening day.

on one hand, the impending sale of the team might mean that Phil Nevin doesn't last too long in this job.. on the other hand, Ohtani could easily leave in free agency after next year too

anyways, the teams looking for new managers won't have to compete with the allure of managing Trout/Ohtani

from what I can tell, the main thing that delayed the announcement that Matheny/Eldred were fired is that they were waiting for the team flight to land in Kansas City.

They were so fuckin cooked that they didn't even pretend to hold a meeting tomorrow morning before firing them both.
Edited by Cobra Commander
I posted the same thing as John

It appears that David Bell will keep his job in Cincy - but he is losing like half his staff

Per the Athletic

In the wake of the Reds’ 100-loss season, the team is not bringing back five coaches from manager David Bell’s staff.

First base/infield/base running coach Delino DeShields, advance scouting coach Cristian Pérez, bullpen coach Lee Tunnell, assistant coach Rolando Valles and hitting coach Alan Zinter will not return. In addition, senior director of performance and health Geoff Head will not be coming back.

Zinter, 54, was hired before the 2020 season to replace Turner Ward, who was on Bell’s initial staff. DeShields, Pérez, Tunnell and Valles were on Bell’s original staff when he took over in 2019. DeShields, 53, completed his 14th season in the Reds organization, fourth on the big-league staff. He spent the previous 10 years in the Reds’ development system, including eight as a manager.

Tunnell, 61, came to Cincinnati in 2019 along with pitching coach Derek Johnson from Milwaukee where the two coached together. Pérez, 27, served in various roles with the team since 2019, first as an assistant bullpen/advance scouting coach and the last two as the advance scouting coach. Valles, 43, was promoted from associate coach to assistant coach last November. A former minor-league pitching coach, Valles worked with pitchers and also served as a left-handed batting practice pitcher.

Speaking of impending free agents, does Aroldis Chapman get any bites from teams trying to get his stock up to trade him? or will he end up pitching for the Reds in 2023 or out of baseball?

Chapman turns 35 in February and in theory, he could have value if a team can hide him from enough righties to let his numbers vs lefties have more weight. This year, Lefties OPSed under .500 vs Chapman and Righties OPSed .721.

Only 7 lefties threw a majority of their pitches to left-handed batters in 2022 (with a threshold of 100 pitches). Ross Detwiler (Reds) is the only one of those seven I've really heard of. The other 6 are Phillip Diehl (Reds), Blake Taylor (Astros), Steven Brault (Cubs), Justin Bruihl (Dodgers), Danny Young (Mariners/Braves) and Sam Clay (Nationals/Mets). In other words, most prominent lefty relievers face RHBs a majority of the time because there's more RHBs. A lot of the pitchers who face the most lefties are right-handed starting pitchers with actual/perceived problems vs LHBs.

Chapman only threw 27% of pitches to lefties. It might be a bit of an impossible conversation to get a guy who made a bunch of money as a closer to agree to a more limited role.

Guessing if Chapman plays in Miami-area rec leagues in 2023, they'll ask him to only hit because Justin the 37yo former high school player can't catch up to Chapman's velo.

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Speaking of impending free agents, does Aroldis Chapman get any bites from teams trying to get his stock up to trade him? or will he end up pitching for the Reds in 2023 or out of baseball?

I think it depends on how outrageous a price he demands.  He's probably going to say something bananas and spook off a bunch of semi-interested teams.  *IF* he comes in and asks for something legit, like 4-6m for a couple of years to wind down his career, then someone will take a waiver.  

I'm guessing though he's going to be stupid and ask for north of 10-12m and wonder why he's on Fox Desportes Beisbol coverage in April.  Especially now when he's doing dumb shit like missing workouts on a World Series contender. 

54 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm guessing though he's going to be stupid and ask for north of 10-12m and wonder why he's on Fox Desportes Beisbol coverage in April.  Especially now when he's doing dumb shit like missing workouts on a World Series contender. 

Don't forget - since he is shitty now - teams will feel more comfortable saying they won't sign him due to his domestic violence suspension

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This doesn't qualify as stupid, but it's baseball player tangential.  

Also, this is not a sentence I ever expected to read: 

Looks like it was a one-time deal - seven years ago. 

Randy IS a top-notch photographer though. Just not for the NFL ?