DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think the last few weeks may show why the media control on WWF/E talent over the years is not the worst thing. 

It's not the worst thing, but it's not a good thing either. Both can be true.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's not the worst thing, but it's not a good thing either. Both can be true.

True. And in age of social media, don't know how successful you'd be on a total clamp down of talent. You'd ask for common sense, but it's a business that attracts loose cannons, iconoclasts and anti social personalities. 

• Like 1

The feeling I get with Ariel Helwani is that after UFC/ESPN sort of shoved him out, he's started hitching his wagon to WWE. Also, Nick Khan used to be his agent.

Seems like conflicts of interests to me.

Not to defend Dana White, there are many aspects of that relationship he mishandled. It seemed like White was constantly giving Helwani the star treatment until it eventually blew up in his face and Helwani started covering things that weren't always positive about the UFC. It got to a point where a fighter who didn't like Helwani and refused to answer his question, and Dana White stood and there and told the fighter to answer Helwani. 

Also, UFC totally mishandled pulling Helwani's credentials. But Dana White often flies off the handle and makes wildly childish, immature decisions more often than not.

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

True. And in age of social media, don't know how successful you'd be on a total clamp down of talent. You'd ask for common sense, but it's a business that attracts loose cannons, iconoclasts and anti social personalities. 

Bringing it back to Ariel, I think part of the issue is there is a wide swath of MMA folks who love wrestling and do cover wrestling as well. No problem with that. However, you cannot be all hard hitting questions when it comes to MMA and then because WWE supplies the guests and it's wrestling it is all softballs. Hell, that's probably why the TK interview was so "difficult" for him. Tony was probably expecting the same softballs as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The feeling I get with Ariel Helwani is that after UFC/ESPN sort of shoved him out, he's started hitching his wagon to WWE. Also, Nick Khan used to be his agent.

Seems like conflicts of interests to me.

Not to defend Dana White, there are many aspects of that relationship he mishandled. It seemed like White was constantly giving Helwani the star treatment until it eventually blew up in his face and Helwani started covering things that weren't always positive about the UFC. It got to a point where a fighter who didn't like Helwani and refused to answer his question, and Dana White stood and there and told the fighter to answer Helwani. 

Also, UFC totally mishandled pulling Helwani's credentials. But Dana White often flies off the handle and makes wildly childish, immature decisions more often than not.

Okamoto is the UFC's guy. And to me, because of that, he has supplanted Helwani in that sphere.

What bugged me is for the longest someone would put out something and then Ariel would tweet, "well that fight isn't done yet etc.". That is nice and all and it's good you're double checking these sources, but you are basically undercutting someone and not providing any other followup.

Then after he was basically out of the news breaking business, he would finally give credit to other MMA journalists. You couldn't do that before, Ariel? As much John Morgan and Kevin Iole may sound like shills, they have never done that.

If we are talking about real sports, I'd say there's definitely an issue with big time reporters/TV people having the agent or the same agency as players/coaches/GMs they cover. 

Look at all the Bristol folks now with CAA or Endeavor or whomever the big agencies are. 

I asked LeBatard about that years ago and he basically said "it's up to you to decide if you trust the reporter or not and respect their credibikity." 

IIRC, Dan, SVG and Riley were all reppped by same agency at the time. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Casey said:

Kathleen Finch, the CCO of Warner Bros. Discovery, did an interview with the Hollywood Reporter and talked briefly about AEW. Also says they aren't out of the scripted programming business, but looking at the right places to put certain things. Which is probably just Hollywood bullshit talk, but we'll see. Give me one more season of Search Party, you dirty fucks.

This isn't anything new to people who listen to folks like SRS or Meltzer, but it basically confirms that new programming is on the way that's focused on outside the ring stuff. So that All Elite Women thing, probably a show focused on following the roster backstage, etc. Kind of like Rhodes to the Top, but without the singular focus on one wrestler.

Does Discovery have any haunted house- ghost hunter type shows?

Thinking we get Punk and his Samoan friend Joe back for another live Halloween night special ?

/s

• Like 1

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If we are talking about real sports, I'd say there's definitely an issue with big time reporters/TV people having the agent or the same agency as players/coaches/GMs they cover. 

Look at all the Bristol folks now with CAA or Endeavor or whomever the big agencies are. 

I asked LeBatard about that years ago and he basically said "it's up to you to decide if you trust the reporter or not and respect their credibikity." 

IIRC, Dan, SVG and Riley were all reppped by same agency at the time. 

A million percent this. IMO (and this is likely stating the obvious) it's felt 1000x more in Bristol because they have the whole juggling act of being a news outlet while also being massively indebted as broadcast partners to the same leagues they're reporting on. I don't agree with it one iota from a journalistic perspective, but from a business aspect, I completely understand the conundrum of (for example) being hesitant to report a negative NFL story on the 6:00 SportsCenter that might turn people off from Monday Night Football at 8

Serious question: who are Meltzer and Alvarez supposed to be biased for/against?  I don’t pay close attention, but i I do frequently listen to their free segments on YouTube and I’ve never really had an issue with either.

1 hour ago, madl said:

Serious question: who are Meltzer and Alvarez supposed to be biased for/against?  I don’t pay close attention, but i I do frequently listen to their free segments on YouTube and I’ve never really had an issue with either.

Bruce Mitchell.

9 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Does Discovery have any haunted house- ghost hunter type shows?

Thinking we get Punk and his Samoan friend Joe back for another live Halloween night special ?

/s

If I was a ghost I wouldn’t stick around if Joe was ghost hunting, id hover off in the complete opposite direction. 

• Like 2

Lol in the same interview where she talked about aew getting extra programming, she said Barkley had signed a new deal. She already had to walk back one comment…(I’m just super pessimistic about this merger and how they are destroying all the stuff they bought). 

29 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Now I want Pedro Sauer BJJ trained but probably 160 pounds soak and wet and almost 50 year old Bryan Alvarez to choke Ariel Helwani unconscious.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

What I want to do to Pentagon every time he spams that fucking taunt.

i gotta admit, i smile every time Penta does that taunt because i know it annoys you so much. it's added so much to my enjoyment of his matches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

No dog in the fight here, but even if Helwani has a point, he sounds like a massive baby in his delivery, and that to me is more of a turnoff than anything he said or asked or didn't say or ask during that interview. And FWIW, as others mentioned earlier in the week, I'm fairly certain TK was just answering with a keen eye on whatever the legal situations may or not be. Pretty standard shit no matter if you're a wrestling promotor or like, an insurance adjuster or the mayor of a town or whatever.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, matt925 said:

Lol in the same interview where she talked about aew getting extra programming, she said Barkley had signed a new deal. She already had to walk back one comment…(I’m just super pessimistic about this merger and how they are destroying all the stuff they bought). 

I think this is why there's rumors of WBD looking to sell to someone else as soon as they can. It looks more and more like this was a way for them to try to maximize the amount of money they could grab.

44 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i gotta admit, i smile every time Penta does that taunt because i know it annoys you so much. it's added so much to my enjoyment of his matches.

Legit LOL at your admittance and post. Good job we're mates!

• Thanks 1