DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2022

The Natural

On 10/10/2022 at 8:35 AM, Matt D said:

Interestingly, Jericho posted that he'd be coming out to Judas only on Thursday as he's working the Lionheart gimmick on Wednesday. The idea that singing along to Jericho's themesong is likely a legitimate draw to get Canadians to go out to a show that they don't even have airing in the country is a fairly ballsy move.

For me, it would be a deterrent

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ethan-page-aew-stardom-rise

Good Page article. Most interesting thing is that he wanted to and was able to agent a match recently. I'd be really curious to know which one.

It makes sense that he would. He has experience booking and running his own indie promotion.

• Like 1

In case you're wondering if Cornette is still exactly wrong about everything, I started a couple of his videos despite myself just now, and found out he hates Yuta and Garcia and thinks Cage/Wardlow sucked.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dog said:

In case you're wondering if Cornette is still exactly wrong about everything, I started a couple of his videos despite myself just now, and found out he hates Yuta and Garcia and thinks Cage/Wardlow sucked.

He's either stuck in his gimmick of hating seemingly everything or just really out of touch. He says "No one cares about Daniel Garcia" But the whole crowd is chanting 'your a wrestler". And how could Mr. Old School Wrasslin not love Yuta as a modern take on fired up Ricky Steamboat? (Now I want a segment where Young Wheeler rips MJFs clothes off)

• Like 2

Hypothetical question time:

I was just talking in the Dynamite thread about how a couple of us have really been enjoying the women's tag matches lately, and it got me thinking: if the data shows that more viewers are retained during a multi-women match than a one on one, would it not be advantageous to simply unify the World & TBS titles and introduce women's tag titles? It would definitely solve Jade's "FTR problem" of 'how can a secondary titleholder be so dominant?'

• Like 1

Kathleen Finch, the CCO of Warner Bros. Discovery, did an interview with the Hollywood Reporter and talked briefly about AEW. Also says they aren't out of the scripted programming business, but looking at the right places to put certain things. Which is probably just Hollywood bullshit talk, but we'll see. Give me one more season of Search Party, you dirty fucks.

We really play in the sports space. One of the things that we’re doing around sports is creating shoulder programming to hold onto those fans. AEW [All Elite Wrestling] pulls huge numbers, so we are working with the wrestling team to figure out what new kind of content can we build that’s not in a wrestling ring.

This isn't anything new to people who listen to folks like SRS or Meltzer, but it basically confirms that new programming is on the way that's focused on outside the ring stuff. So that All Elite Women thing, probably a show focused on following the roster backstage, etc. Kind of like Rhodes to the Top, but without the singular focus on one wrestler.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

Kathleen Finch, the CCO of Warner Bros. Discovery, did an interview with the Hollywood Reporter and talked briefly about AEW. Also says they aren't out of the scripted programming business, but looking at the right places to put certain things. Which is probably just Hollywood bullshit talk, but we'll see. Give me one more season of Search Party, you dirty fucks.

This isn't anything new to people who listen to folks like SRS or Meltzer, but it basically confirms that new programming is on the way that's focused on outside the ring stuff. So that All Elite Women thing, probably a show focused on following the roster backstage, etc. Kind of like Rhodes to the Top, but without the singular focus on one wrestler.

Wondering who the first poster here will be that translates that quote as: "THEY'RE CANCELLING AEW!!! THEY WON'T LAST THROUGH 2023!!!!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Why are we getting preemptively excited about a strawman to swipe at when we could be getting hyped about the obvious plans for a Sammy & Tay reality show?

They've been playing up William Regal's affection for Excalibur, I think that show is way more likely sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I was gonna say, you want great TV, just put a camera on Sammy 24/7.

I've watched Sammy's vlog a handful of times. This sounds like a terrible idea unless we get the really good stuff like multiple wrestlers wanting to murder Sammy.

Maybe it could be like Jackass. Someone just always waiting around a corner to steal on Sammy or setup elaborate pranks to fuck with him.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I've watched Sammy's vlog a handful of times. This sounds like a terrible idea unless we get the really good stuff like multiple wrestlers wanting to murder Sammy.

Maybe it could be like Jackass. Someone just always waiting around a corner to steal on Sammy or setup elaborate pranks to fuck with him.

Sammy does have a Steve-O vibe to him.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I was gonna say, you want great TV, just put a camera on Sammy 24/7.

Like Craig said his vlogs indicate this will go poorly.  I watched them every week and it's mostly him and Tay with a few bits from others.  Was fine if you liked him but I lost interest a couple weeks before the Kingston stuff happened.  Heck, I'd rather see "Rhodes to the Top" than a reality show on Sammy and Tay.  And I was one of the ones that really liked them too.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

That’s the most positive thing I’ve heard since the merger. 

• Like 2