DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

On 10/29/2022 at 12:24 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Seeing as Mick actually lived in Atlanta for quite awhile (or at least the suburbs of Atlanta IIRC), it would make more sense for him to have on Yellow Jacket gear. That said, Ken strikes me as a guy that doesn't give a damn about any type of allegiance. At least enough to play it up for cheap heat.

Meh, it would probably make more sense for him to wear UGA gear. I lived in Atlanta for a while and even though GT is located there, way more people in ATL are UGA fans than GT fans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Also posted in the NOAH thread. This is happening for reasons.

3766_image_o.jpg

Reasons are Mutoh's imminent retirement, and him and Nak has history.  Good on Hunter for letting Nak out on loan.

I'd put a ten on Muta going into the HoF this year, which probably has something to do with this too.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Muta is in this year's Rumble. Perfect surprise kind of appearance. Triple H already did the 'get one in before it's too late' thing with Liger in NXT. Muta retires at the end of February. If they want a Great Muta WWE appearance it's the literal last chance. And I think this news makes it even more likely. Nak goes over in NOAH. Muta shows up and eliminates him from The Rumble to a big pop.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

Also posted in the NOAH thread. This is happening for reasons.

3766_image_o.jpg

whoa, saw the announcement for the match this morning, but sleepy eyes read it as Konosuke Takeshita. Now that i can see the graphic, this is a way bigger deal. props to everyone who set this up to happen!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Weird to see Ramon in powder blue. I guess purple was the default, but other than that he tended to rock red, black, and green...

Not with a key, sissy...

Shane Douglas brought that up in a shoot interview. He believes someone at the time at an affinity for powder blue because when he was there, not only did Dean Douglas wear powder blue but the Bodydonnas and also Razor wore it. IIRC Razor wore it one time when he wrestled Dean Douglas so it was powder blue on powder blue madness.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

whoa, saw the announcement for the match this morning, but sleepy eyes read it as Konosuke Takeshita. Now that i can see the graphic, this is a way bigger deal. props to everyone who set this up to happen!

The way it went down was, Triple H was posing in the mirror, thinking back to his glory days as the ace of WWE. Specifically that two-week period-uh, where he changed his promo voice-uh, to where he made an uh sound-uh, on the last consonant of the phrase he was speaking-uh.

Then Shinsuke Nakamura waled in and said "Boss, can I wrestle The Great Muta in New Japan?"

And Triple H said "No-uh".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

So I saw that the reason merch prices at the NJPW shows in NYC were so high was because the venue took a 40% cut. Can someone who knows the subject explain if this is common practice and if so what is the normal cut that a building would take? To someone not familiar with this it seems this practice is incredibly sleazy and disgusting.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, sabremike said:

So I saw that the reason merch prices at the NJPW shows in NYC were so high was because the venue took a 40% cut. Can someone who knows the subject explain if this is common practice and if so what is the normal cut that a building would take? To someone not familiar with this it seems this practice is incredibly sleazy and disgusting.

Venue cuts are normal for all sorts of things. For example, if you plan to sell your own concessions and the building normally sells concessions, the building expects a cut because they are experiencing a revenue loss due to needing to shut down their own concessions. If you're broadcasting your event, there's a fee for broadcast because you're collecting advertising/PPV fees you wouldn't be collecting if you weren't running from that venue. Et cetera, et cetera.

This varies from venue to venue, and you can negotiate an all-inclusive contract and fee but expect it to be extraordinarily high. It's usually better to just say "fine, we won't sell [merch/food/whatever] and you can sell your own". Then you need to pay a clean-up fee.

These fees are also typically scalable. You rent a 10,000 seat building but only plan to open half of it? Well you don't need to have all the concessions open, or pay the cleanup fee for the whole building, just the parts you access.

There really isn't a "normal cut" because sometimes it's take it or leave it, sometimes you get a discount rate because you're a regular renter of the building and the owner will give you a discount. 40% does seem a bit high for merch but chances are the building owner went "Japanese company? Yeah, you're not ever coming back. 40% merch cut" whereas they may have expected a 20% merch cut from someone else.

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Common for touring bands. Which is why some shows have prices for Tshirts that exceed what the online cost would be