DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's my grumpy G.O.A.T.

Though to be fair, most of the (grumpy?) DVDVR posters were saying the same thing at that time. Those positions weren't exactly a stretch!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

Strictly my opinion naturally 

But it don't get no betta

Watched this on tape delay with a few cousins and we were losing our fucking minds

Man, pre-roidy magoo Rey was the bee's fuckin knees.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

You know who rules? Pre-1986 or so JYD. If I did a list of top wrestlers with immense physical charisma, he'd be at or very near the top.

Oh yes. Very much yes. Peak Dog (let’s call it the JYD/Olympia vs DiBiase/Borne/Duggan stuff) is treeeeemendous shit. He’s that level of over where the entire crowd “Ooh’s” along with every punch he throws.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Oh yes. Very much yes. Peak Dog (let’s call it the JYD/Olympia vs DiBiase/Borne/Duggan stuff) is treeeeemendous shit. He’s that level of over where the entire crowd “Ooh’s” along with every punch he throws.

It's a bummer because when he finally went national, he was totally washed and his WWF/WCW runs were awful. He still could show fire, but he had zero explosiveness anymore. 

Between that being his most national exposure and Meltzer poisoning the well about JYD in his newsletter, he really, really doesn't get enough credit for being awesome. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

It's a bummer because when he finally went national, he was totally washed and his WWF/WCW runs were awful. He still could show fire, but he had zero explosiveness anymore. 

Between that being his most national exposure and Meltzer poisoning the well about JYD in his newsletter, he really, really doesn't get enough credit for being awesome. 

I think part of it probably is that JYD probably understood he wouldn't be booked the same way in New York. Being the clear cut #1 babyface is much different than being the at best #3 or #4 babyface.

I just happened to watch the SNME from January 1986 where he essentially plays helper babyface to BOTH Hogan and Steamboat. He watches out for Jimmy Hart when Hogan goes against Terry Funk. Then at the end of the show, he's tagging with Steamboat vs. Muraco and Fuji. That's his slot and he's over at where he's slotted at. Nothing more than that.

TBH I think Duggan was the same way. He kinda starts off as Mid South Duggan when he first gets there to feud with Iron Sheik and Nikolai. Then the effort falls precipitously as his run goes through a few WWF eras.

• Like 4

And JYD was still over as hell in his WWF run as Hogan's constant backup buddy.  Shit, he was still over in his short WCW appearance in 92.

As an aside, deep dives in to the territories have proven to me that people REALLY shouldn't take Meltzer seriously.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

And JYD was still over as hell in his WWF run as Hogan's constant backup buddy.  Shit, he was still over in his short WCW appearance in 92.

As an aside, deep dives in to the territories have proven to me that people REALLY shouldn't take Meltzer seriously.  

What's weird though is when they (WCW/NWA) decided to do JYD vs. Butch Reed on the same bill as Flair vs. Steamboat in early 1989 at the Superdome, there wasn't much reaction to either guy. Granted, the venue was virtually empty. However, it had only been 4 1/2 years since they last did that program in Mid South in the same city. I think the fans for him once his WWF run was over were those who saw him in WWF.

• Like 1

JYD was super-over in 1984 WWF; I think that initial wave of his popularity peaked at Wrestlemania 1 with him not winning the IC title against Valentine.

And “Grab Them Cakes” just wasn’t going to bring the crowd to its feet like “Another One Bites the Dust” did.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Love this discussion. 83 Mid South TV is up there with 97 WCW, 95 ECW, 98 WWF to me and I rewatch it every few years. Dog was obviously front and center in all that. 

Yeah, if anything comes close to 86-93 JCP/WCW for me, it's 83-84 Mid-South.

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

JYD was super-over in 1984 WWF; I think that initial wave of his popularity peaked at Wrestlemania 1 with him not winning the IC title against Valentine.

And “Grab Them Cakes” just wasn’t going to bring the crowd to its feet like “Another One Bites the Dust” did.

Valentine should've faced Tito at Mania One.  6 1/2 year old Infinit thought that in 85 and I'll die on that hill today.

• Like 3