DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Yeah, but Jay White is dropping big hints (and possible false flags), so... maybe WWE and NJPW have worked something out?  

Look, I just want Tanahashi vs. Roman at the end of night 2 in LA.  

In other news...

This obviously will go far beyond your Uber/Lyft drivers and affect lots of industries.  I'm guessing there's some lawyers in Stamford and Jacksonville reading a lot this morning. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

In other news...

This obviously will go far beyond your Uber/Lyft drivers and affect lots of industries.  I'm guessing there's some lawyers in Stamford and Jacksonville reading a lot this morning. 

I expect this to go the same as student loan forgiveness, which is to say, it will get sued into oblivion.

And on a side note, I discovered yesterday that I'm fucked on getting my $17k remaining forgiven because at some point I consolidated my loans with Navient and those loans that people hold, around 800k people total, won't be included in the forgiveness even if it does happen. So it won't affect me, but I'd like to see plenty of others not be burden by endless student loan debt. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

WWE recruiters probably appreciate the ability to sort by height or weight on a football roster page. The West Texas A&M roster has that feature.

For as much as they want to go for D1 guys, it’s worth noting that there’s probably some good athletes in D2/below that have no real prospects to be pros in their sports and if they’re a good fit, they might be good in the WWE. Corbin was a D2 football player for example.

Niche gimmick idea: a manager/mouthpiece who was a college punter or kicker that has two linemen to serve as his muscle.

8 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I've been wondering about the specifics of AEWs deal with NJPW.

Obviously there's the Jay White - Adam Cole/Kenny Oemga connection but outside that?

I could absolutely see Hunter going to them with a proposal for much bigger US exposure and opening up NXT for guys on excursion in exchange for being able to book dream matches like Tana v Cena and Okada v Reigns.

I don't know much about the politics of the Japanese scene, so apologies in advance if I'm spewing nonsense, but is there any chance that NJPW working with WWE is in some way retaliation for AEW now working with NOAH?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't know much about the politics of the Japanese scene, so apologies in advance if I'm spewing nonsense, but is there any chance that NJPW working with WWE is in some way retaliation for AEW now working with NOAH?

Years ago, sure. Nowadays, unlikely. AEW has never made it a secret their plans to work with whoever was willing, especially since they have a good amount of talent who want to work with outside promotions like NJPW, NOAH, DDT, etc. NJPW was aware of this. Keep in mind they don't work with AAA due their CMLL relationship while AEW does work with AAA, and I think avoids CMLL.

Its also too early to say what Good Brothers showing back up in WWE means. They could have just signed on temporarily or WWE made a deal to let them finish up their Japanese dates (most likely). If we start seeing Bullet Club openly talked about then maybe a deal between WWE and NJPW beyond the norm has been worked out. Otherwise I think people are hoping for way too much if they think we are getting something like Tanahashi vs. Cena/Roman or those guys vs. Okada. 

Also, I curse the bastards who reminded me of the dream match I'm not getting in Cena/Tanahashi. Always wanted that or tag team with them.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Unlikely since NJPW's been letting their older guys not doing much anything else work NOAH *and* AJPW right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

All these returns.

Was thinking about this last night with the Good Brothers coming back -- how long, roughly, do you have to be gone from a company for your return to be shocking? If you got fired and then got rehired a year later, is that 'shocking?' Is that more or less shocking than someone who is still employed returning from a year-long injury?

Wrestling, by its nature, loves a shocking return/debut/signing. They're big moments that draw people in and make waves in wrestling media. AEW felt especially hot when they were signing so many big names over the last year or so (whether this was a good idea or not), and every show would have a huge pop and lots of scuttlebutt around who could show up next. WWE tried to sort of create an in-house version of this with NXT that sometimes worked (Sami Zayn! Shinsuke!) and sometimes didn't (Karrion Kross! ). I think Bron Breakker coming in will be a huge moment, but now that NXT is much more fully a developmental program, there's not a lot of meat left on those bones. With Hunter bringing all 'his guys' back in (for how long, who knows!), it makes me wonder if they have hit on a strategy the WWE could just use in perpetuity? Like, you still do your huge annual release, but then you rehire a handful a year later so you never run out of 'shocking returns' because there really aren't a lot of those left unless you are directly poaching them from AEW (see: Cody) or, I guess at this point, a Matt Cardona return would count as shocking?

I also am thinking here of when Mickie James got fired and then was asked to come back as a one-off, like, four months later which always felt a little more embarrassing than shocking. I am surprised that there hasn't been more "Geez, weren't you the guy they said wasn't worth the money just the other day? Did you take a pay cut or something?" from the fan base when these guys come back, but then again, I have no idea what the 'WWE fanbase' is or even sounds like anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Can anyone recommend a good Konnan match?

Also someone needs to bring back the roly poly clothesline. 

He was fairly tolerable in his WCW pre-cholo days, and then he got shittier and shittier as he leaned on catchphrases and crap signature moves.