DVDVR Message Board

October 2022 Wrestling Discussion

On 10/1/2022 at 9:43 PM, Infinit said:

Shane had the entrance with the girls dancing with him. Had a killllller finisher. Plus those great matches. Had WCW got bought by Fusient, he could've blown up.

I thought that entrance theme was awesome back in the day.  The instrumental sounded like a knock off of Ol' Dirty Bastard's song "Shimmy Shimmy Ya". After 3 Count split, he was on fire with The entrance, the vertebraker, and the feud with Chavo (who was at his best as heel Cruiserweight Champion towards the end of WCW). Then he goes to WWF as Gregory Helms, comes out to a generic theme, and loses the CW title to Kidman in his first appearance.

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how people would react if Truth suddenly became serious. 

I would start watching WWE again if they had Truth go back to his angry heel rapper gimmick from early NWA-TNA

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I’m sort of surprised Truth is still employed since it seems like he survived this long by amusing Vince,  I’m really surprised he gets a pass from fans since most of his stuff involved him playing down to stereotypes (Pretty Ricky, black guy who doesn’t know what city he’s in or what day it is, black guy who talks to himself/his invisible friend, etc.)

it’s a shame he got suspended during the Awesome Truth run.  Vince supposedly had big plans for them till that happened.  Honestly, i find his comedy stuff painfully unfunny so he’s been a channel changer for me for the better part of a decade.

• Like 4

Wasn’t the conspiracy theory that someone else involved in the Survivor Series tag pissed hot and Truth took the bullet? It seems incredibly unlikely, but I guess that would be a saving a trunk full of WWF tapes on fire kind of moment for him where he’d be on the roster until he decides to retire. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Is William Regal the greatest Wrestling to go From Serious Pro Wrestler to doing comedy back serious wrestler without losing any credibility? 

Not undermining Regal's position, but I would actually submit Chris Jericho for consideration also. (Probably depends on how long you want to stretch the arc between comedy/serious, but I think he works.)

Relatively straightforward young cruiserweight > Ralphus/Man of 1,004 Holds shenanigans > more "comedy" (...I guess your mileage will vary given some of the misogynistic stuff that got thrown Stephanie's way in the Attitude era) from Y2J > eventually getting back to serious, suit-wearing heel who punched HBK's wife in the face. Always in a featured role no matter what. Nowadays it's like he ping pongs every other week and is still one of the biggest names in the industry.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You know that new thing people do on Twitter where they're like "(booking they really want to happen) is my new agenda?" My agenda for literally 15 years now has been a serious Truth run. I know it sounds crazy, but I thought a more serious version of his character could have been a great foil for John Cena, especially in that peak PG, LOLCENAWINS era. 

But, as others have pointed out, they did do serious Truth and it was definitely not good.

There's no way him and Miz being super badasses and having the whole roster on the run was the original plan, was it? Something had to have happened there. It was so ridiculous.

21 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Is William Regal the greatest Wrestling to go From Serious Pro Wrestler to doing comedy back serious wrestler without losing any credibility? 

Does Stone Cold count? He had that run, in skits at least, with some of the zaniest shit like the jealousy shit with Angle including iirc that teeny tiny cowboy hat?

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIRVxrNDvJs

Hmm, posting thru desktop won't let me embed?

I’ve never considered Jericho or Regal to be comedy characters.  Sure, they were both over-the-top and did some silly stuff in WCW, but most good characters in the 90’s were kinda cartoonish.  The “sports realism” era in wrestling didn’t start until much later.  As far as I can remember, both were pushed well even during their “comedy” phase.  Compared to dudes like Truth and Santino, I don’t see it.

6 hours ago, (BP) said:

Wasn’t the conspiracy theory that someone else involved in the Survivor Series tag pissed hot and Truth took the bullet? It seems incredibly unlikely, but I guess that would be a saving a trunk full of WWF tapes on fire kind of moment for him where he’d be on the roster until he decides to retire. 

Yes, though I’ve never believed it.  Meltzer and Alvarez have debunked that story a couple ti,es over the years.

On 10/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, odessasteps said:

When he turned heel on Morrison and feuded with Cena I know he wasn't serious but him being delusional heel with a mean streak added so much more to him.  

I thought him as a heel had so much more legs to it but Vince would rather him being the fun loving dancing babyface. As a heel he came across as very menacing in my view. 

Vince turning him back so quick is like that story someone told about when Ahmed joined the Nation and Vince felt it was way too menacing to have that many big black wrestlers in one faction lol. 

But either way Truth has always seemed to be over to the live crowd in him role so more credit to him

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Not undermining Regal's position, but I would actually submit Chris Jericho for consideration also. (Probably depends on how long you want to stretch the arc between comedy/serious, but I think he works.)

Relatively straightforward young cruiserweight > Ralphus/Man of 1,004 Holds shenanigans > more "comedy" (...I guess your mileage will vary given some of the misogynistic stuff that got thrown Stephanie's way in the Attitude era) from Y2J > eventually getting back to serious, suit-wearing heel who punched HBK's wife in the face. Always in a featured role no matter what. Nowadays it's like he ping pongs every other week and is still one of the biggest names in the industry.

We’ve been talking a lot of Jericho recently so I’ve been doing a bit of a retrospective. Man, the sheer volume of stuff. Just amazing.

Like we haven’t even mentioned JeriShow on here and that was a tremendous bit of business between the buddy cop-vibe backstage bits, the mashup theme and Show punching dudes in the face. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4

I always heard that the buyrate for Survivor Series with the big Cena/Rock vs Truth/Miz tag match did worse than expected so both Miz and Truth ended up eating the blame for that, which combined with the wellness failure kinda did Truth in as a serious competitor at that time.

TBF it may have been a blessing in disguise as Truth is pretty much exactly what you want from a low card comedy babyface and given how timeless he appears to be it may end up extending his WWE run by a decade compared to the theoretical alternative.

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Saturn was another guy who was pretty good as both a serious and comedy guy in WCW.

Comedy Saturn was great, that Moppy thing was like Chavo/Pepe turned up to 11 (though that was the WWF, so not sure if you're counting it or not). 

This pick might be cheating since he didn't do much comedy as an active full-time wrestler, but Taz has been consistently hilarious on commentary for decades now, from Smackdown to WWECW to TNA to now AEW.

Side note: It's kind of wild to think that in my time as a fan, I really only saw about 5 years of Taz as a wrestler, but 20-21 years of him on commentary.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Comedy Saturn was great, that Moppy thing was like Chavo/Pepe turned up to 11 (though that was the WWF, so not sure if you're counting it or not). 

This pick might be cheating since he didn't do much comedy as an active full-time wrestler, but Taz has been consistently hilarious on commentary for decades now, from Smackdown to WWECW to TNA to now AEW.

Side note: It's kind of wild to think that in my time as a fan, I really only saw about 5 years of Taz as a wrestler, but 20-21 years of him on commentary.

Watching Dynamite recently, and I had the thought of how weird it is that Taz is this happy-go-lucky commentator when his wrestling character was the most miserable, dour, no-nonsense guy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Log said:

Watching Dynamite recently, and I had the thought of how weird it is that Taz is this happy-go-lucky commentator when his wrestling character was the most miserable, dour, no-nonsense guy.

My better half is a newer fan within the last six-ish years (I waited til things got a little more serious, but eventually date night conflicted with an NXT Takeover, so I had to come clean) and the first time I showed her Taz in ECW, she couldn't believe it. "You're sure this is the same guy from Dark?" I don't remember whether it was the Barely Legal bout or not, but it was whichever one where Taz grabs Sabu by the taped up, broken jaw, drags him over to the camera and says "See him?! Fuck him!!" and tags him good with a forearm. Certainly a far cry from 'Yambag Jones' and Baltimora karaoke!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3