DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live Event Discussion Thread, Fall-Winter 2022-2023

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i watched the Fedor fight. nice retirement mini-ceremony in the cage. enjoyed seeing all the old timers in there with him. Disappointed in the result but not surprised at all.

That being said, is the rest of the card worth watching? the CBS side as well as the prelims (that i guess aired on youtube?). i don't follow Bellator so don't recognize most of the fighter names. Seriously, outside of Fedor, Bader, Lorenz Larkin, and Karl Albrektsson (edit: also Darrion Caldwell), nothing is ringing a bell. I also see a lot of decisions, so probably not high hopes, but maybe?

The prelims actually were all made up of decent names (Caldwell who seems to be on a career slide, Larkin as you mentioned, Steve Mowry, and Henry Corrales) at least and didn't really have any throwaway local fights (which were saved for the postlims). I know they also wanted to do something with Max Rohskopf who the UFC cut because he quit in his one and only official UFC fight, but he lost so yeah that's probably not going to amount to much.

However, it's tough when you basically limit yourself to 3 fights in a two hour broadcast. They better be three great fights. I think Coker is still kinda stuck in the mindset you need the first fight to be a slugfest that gets viewers. So he did Brennan Ward and Sabah Homasi. I get it but that's a fight you could open any card on Showtime with. Brennan Ward wasn't going anywhere prior to his personal issues that sidelined him for years. Sabah Homasi has fun slugfests that usually end in finishes BUT he's just a guy. That was sorta why he didn't last long in the UFC despite his aptitude for being super aggressive in the striking game. They are just two dudes. I would have stuck Larkin in that slot. If I couldn't do Eblen vs. Mousasi II, I probably wouldn't have done the middleweight title fight. Tokov is a decent fighter, but it makes no real sense to put him against another semi unknown guy (who himself is only there cause he upset Mousasi) just cause he trains with Fedor. That's another fight you could have done on a throwaway Friday night card on Showtime. Then you get to the main event. Who thought that was going to be competitive? When I was doing my picks the other day, THIS fight was the easiest to pick because Fedor hasn't been Fedor in several years now. Add on top of that, Bader had no trouble with Fedor in the first fight. That fight itself was super depressing. He had 0.00001% chance of beating Bader. I get doing a retirement ceremony, which has been universally praised and rightfully so. However, if you only get on CBS once and this is kinda a test to see what Bellator could do in primetime in the future, you cannot waste it on this. I would have loved if Fedor had his retirement fight on a card sometime last year and then devote 5-10 minutes on a retirement ceremony where you don't get kinda the ritual sacrifice of him having lose emphatically to Ryan Bader. I just didn't see the Moorer vs. Foreman element of Fedor potentially upsetting Bader. It wasn't going happen. 

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

supposedly per Ariel, Coker was talking about 3m, although i have serious questions on if that were a legitimate estimate or just a number thrown out to sound impressive

They weren't doing 3 million with Fedor when he first came to Bellator. The "stacked" card they did on Spike from MSG (which had Fedor vs. Mitrione, Chandler vs. Primus, Lima vs. Larkin, and headlined by Chael vs. Wanderlei) averaged below a million viewers. Fedor vs. Mir also did below a million viewers as well. That's likely why they eventually moved from what became Paramount to Showtime. If you're failing to average a million with ALL your stars on a card, then yeah premium cable is probably where you need to be.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

4h4h2.png?1676339485

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 77: Andrade vs. Blanchfield 
February 18, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

Jéssica Andrade (124) vs. Erin Blanchfield (125.5) - Blanchfield, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:37)
Zac Pauga (205.5) vs. Jordan Wright (204) - Pauga, DEC (unanimous)
Josh Parisian (266) vs. Jamal Pogues (249.5) - Pogues, DEC (unanimous)
William Knight (206) vs. Marcin Prachnio (205) - Prachnio, DEC (unanimous)
Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Alexander Hernandez (156) - Hernandez, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Nazim Sadykhov (155.5) vs. Evan Elder (155.5) - Sadykhov, TKO (doctor stoppage), R3 (3:38)
Lina Länsberg (135.5) vs. Mayra Bueno Silva (136) - Silva, SUB (kneebar), R2 (4:45)
Jamall Emmers (145) vs. Khusein Askhabov (146) - Emmers, DEC (unanimous)
Ovince St. Preux (206) vs. Philipe Lins (203.5) - Lins, KO (punches), R1 (0:49)
AJ Fletcher (171) vs. Themba Gorimbo (171) - Fletcher, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (1:37)
Juancamilo Ronderos (125) vs. Clayton Carpenter (125) - Carpenter, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:13)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Mayra Bueno Silva
Performance of the Night: Erin Blanchfield
Fight of the Night: Nazim Sadykhov vs. Evan Elder

Strong first half of round 1 and kinda shaky back half of round 1. Then a very nice recovery in round 2. Blanchfield is scary good on the ground. Still think Valentina might pose some tough questions for her that Andrade probably couldn't. However, if Valentina can get past Alexa Grasso, then it's a very intriguing fight.

• Like 1

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 78: Muniz vs. Allen
February 25, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (UFC Apex)

André Muniz (186) vs. Brendan Allen (186) - Allen, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:25)
Augusto Sakai (265) vs. Don'Tale Mayes (261.5) - Sakai, DEC (unanimous)
Tatiana Suarez (125) vs. Montana De La Rosa (125.5) - Suarez, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (2:51)
Mike Malott (171) vs. Yohan Lainesse (171) - Malott, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (4:15)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Erick Gonzalez (156) vs. Trevor Peek (155.5) - Peek, KO (punches), R1 (4:59)
Gabriella Fernandes (126) vs. Jasmine Jasudavicius (125.5) - Jasudavicius, DEC (unanimous)
Jordan Leavitt (155.5) vs. Victor Martinez (154.5) - Leavitt, TKO (elbows and knees), R1 (2:33)
Ode' Osbourne (130) vs. Charles Johnson (130) - Osbourne, DEC (split)
Joe Solecki (155.5) vs. Carl Deaton III (156) - Solecki, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:55)
Nurullo Aliev (155) vs. Rafael Alves (155) - Aliev, DEC (majority)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Joe Solecki
Performance of the Night: Jordan Leavitt
Performance of the Night: Trevor Peek
Performance of the Night: Mike Malott
Performance of the Night: Tatiana Suarez
Performance of the Night: Brendan Allen

• 2 weeks later...

Bellator 292 weigh-in results. Cass Bell missed the Bantamweight limit by 9.2 pounds at 145.2 pounds, and he has been fined 50% of his purse. That's an entire division, Featherweight. One of the biggest misses ever.

Edited by The Natural

FqNepNqXsAIix_a.jpg?1677770917

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 79: Yan vs. Dvalishvili 
March 11, 2023
The Theater at Virgin Hotels

Petr Yan (136) vs. Merab Dvalishvili (134.5) - Dvalishvili, DEC (unanimous)
Alexander Volkov (258) vs. Alexandr Romanov (264.5) - Volkov, TKO (punches), R1 (2:16)
Nikita Krylov (213) vs. Ryan Spann (213) - Krylov, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (3:38)
Said Nurmagomedov (136) vs. Jonathan Martinez (135.5) - Martinez, DEC (unanimous)
Mario Bautista (136) vs. Guido Cannetti (136) - Bautista, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:18)
Vitor Petrino (204) vs. Anton Turkalj (205) - Petrino, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Łukasz Brzeski (245) vs. Karl Williams (240.5) - Williams, DEC (unanimous)
Raphael Assunção (136) vs. Davey Grant (136) - Grant, SUB (inverted triangle choke), R3 (4:43)
Sedriques Dumas (184.5) vs. Josh Fremd (186) - Fremd, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (3:00)
Tony Gravely (136) vs. Victor Henry (136) - Henry, DEC (split)
JJ Aldrich (125.5) vs. Ariane Lipski (125.5) - Lipski, DEC (unanimous)
Tyson Nam (125.5) vs. Bruno Silva (125.5) - Silva, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:23)
Carlston Harris (169.5) vs. Jared Gooden (177)* - Harris, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Bruno Silva
Performance of the Night: Davey Grant
Fight of the Night: Vitor Petrino vs. Anton Turkalj

Petr Yan vs. Dvalishvili is going to be siiiiiiiiiiick.

And we get the Spann/Krylov make up!

And Jonathan Martinez is back after that LEG KICK KO on Cub Swanson. And he's fighting the unrelated Nurmagomedov, who is also pretty good!

Gonna be fun night.

• Like 1

f4cd2503b04e41ca3dc51b9782abd1f7

Benson Henderson retires. 30-12. One of the best Lightweights but real lucky with split decisions wins that should have gone to the other fighter. 3 at least. Benson Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar 2 at UFC 150 is one of the biggest robberies ever. Edgar won that 49-46.

Edited by The Natural

Assuncao/Grant 3rd round is fucking bonkers.

Assuncao totally gave a thumbs up after getting tagged. Like "I'm good". Before he can put them thumb down Grant back fists the fuck out of Assuncao.

And then there's the wackiness of Grant grabbing the fence and the ref choosing to take a point away and reset the fighters on their feet. Wild shit.

This night has been fire so far. Card has had everything. Almost every fight has had nasty striking exchanges, wild back and forth scrambles and just lots of drama.

Jonathan Martinez has some gnarly clinch elbows. Looks like he just arrived in the Top 15 and sounds like he wants to be Daveison Figueiredo's first Bantam fight.

Bantam Weight is so competitive  right now. Maybe the most exciting division?

And I just realized Chito vs. Sandhagen is next week.

To clean sweep Petr Yan is impressive, but to do in that fashion where Petr Yan is looking for answers because nothing he is doing is working is even more impressive.

Okay, now that said, I am not sure what more he could do to impress other than to fight Aljamain. I wouldn't pick another guy at 135 over him than isn't Aljamain.

• Like 1

me 2 years ago:  man, Petr Yan is going to hold this belt for a long, long time. 

me today:  man, what happened to Petr Yan?

great night of fights, even if my stream faced constant interruptions. tough to complain when i don't pay for ESPN, but it made for a frustrating evening. Dvalishvili is crazy talented. What could possibly be his next matchup? i can't see them putting him against O'Malley. gotta be the Vera/Sandhagen winner right?

23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

me today:  man, what happened to Petr Yan?

Team Serra/Longo, apparently.

23 minutes ago, twiztor said:

great night of fights, even if my stream faced constant interruptions. tough to complain when i don't pay for ESPN, but it made for a frustrating evening. Dvalishvili is crazy talented. What could possibly be his next matchup? i can't see them putting him against O'Malley. gotta be the Vera/Sandhagen winner right?

Marlon Vera is an intriguing bout just cause it would be the division's boogeyman versus the OTHER boogeyman of the division. However, I would still pick Merab despite having a ton of respect for Chito.

• Like 1