DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 9/28/2022~!

DEAN

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I know some people don't want WWE-esque stuff in their AEW, but honestly, that opening segment was both pretty funny and really rocked. I mean, I'm not thrilled with the rote format of opening talking segment leading to a match since it feels like that happened on EVERY Raw or SD, but in this case I'll give it a pass because of how well everyone worked their asses off. Daniel Garcia is a total MVP. If you're re-doing the 4 pillars, it's easily MJF, Garcia, Yuta, and Darby now. Given Darby's propensity to try to kill himself in every match, I may want to sub him out for Starks or someone else. But anyway, Garcia was fucking awesome in that segment. Jericho was awesome. Matt Menard was awesome. Danielson was awesome. It was a homerun of a segment even if that format is rote as fuck. I get the meta booking of it because it's the JAS and that's how sports entertainment is done with that opening segment leading into a match, but I think that meta-ness is going to go over almost everyone's head.

And yeah, poor AmDrag is going to get himself Sting'd even though Garcia has done such an amazing job of being a face. Garcia's saving grace is that even if he's been a really good face in this angle, he's an even better scumbag heel, but this shows that when the time comes, he could be a top babyface.

The Saraya segment was bad. She seemed lost in the ring and part of me wonders if that has a lot to do with being so used to working off of a script that when she has to go out and do it on her own that she can't pull it together. It's also concerning that she definitely isn't cleared and is just a mouthpiece. Someone compared her to Steph and I don't think that's a bad comp even if Saraya did help kick off the women's revolution in WWE. It sucks, but her neck is beyond fucked and I just don't see how she could safely wrestle. Also, it being another talking segment leading to a match felt lame because they did that at the start of the first hour and in this case, everyone was pretty cringey.

I think a promo that immediately leads to match is fin JUST DONT DO IT EVERY FREAKIN WEEK

and the womens match was scheduled prior to the show just the stip was added last minute

43 minutes ago, Log said:

Why all the Matt Taven hate? Granted, I've only seen him in Impact, but he's really good there.

He's good there and Honor No More is an enjoyable fixture in whatever Impact is in 2022. But I suspect some people associate him winning the top ROH belt with a relative downturn for that company. Not saying whether that's fair or not.

Fuck it, book Taven/Bennett vs FTR for the ROH belts and see if any of the magic rubs off on those guys' reputations.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Log said:

I don't like that MJF's chip is now being treated like the MITB briefcase. Leave that shit in WWE.

7 hours ago, just drew said:

I feel like it works for MJF’s character. He’s the only person on the roster I feel like could get away with something like that…

I agree with both of you, but moreso Log. I don't like that it now works that way, and I especially don't like that there was no explanation for the change. If they had said that MJF snuck something into the contract or something like that it would have been more acceptable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Daniel Garcia just really hasn't found himself yet. He just sounds really uncomfortable when he talks, then he starts going on about throwing a pizza on the ground. The crowd seems forgiving of him, but I think he's someone who really needs a mouthpiece.

I have the opposite opinion on Garcia. I don't think he's smooth on the mic, but I feel like he's more aware of himself and in the moment than a lot of other wrestlers. I don't really know how to explain it, but he has a great vibe when doing a promo....overconfident jock kid, I guess? I also love that he's always engaged. When Danielson's music hit, 90% of wrestlers would just stand there and stop, waiting for the next section of the segment to start. He kept jawing at Jericho, because that's what a real person with a beef would do. He always doing things like that, whether in talking segments or his matches.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'm trying to rack my brain for what was the worst segment in AEW history prior to the Saraya promo. 

The Brandi/Dan Lambert confrontation was at least trainwreck entertaining.

To me it was just cringe and never-ending, and I think that segment was the straw (for both sides) that led to Cody going to WWE.

18 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I actually didn't hate Saraya's promo although I kind of anticipated being in the minority on that front. I think it was pretty evident from the whole layout of the show that they are experimenting with longer talking segments and more specifically trying to use Saraya's arrival as a way of re-presenting the women's division as something more organized/purposeful and maybe get it out of the slump it's always been in. The crowd didn't shit on Saraya's promo so I think she's got enough goodwill right now to keep going in this role of rallying the babyfaces against Baker and the heels but...I mean, I also fully acknowledge the awkwardness and mediocre delivery of a lot of the segment.

It did make room on TV for people who don't usually get TV time like Ford, Blue and Nightengale, and it was the first time ever I can recall a long talking segment leading directly into a women's match. So both of those aspects I would call positives --- shaping a "bigger picture" of the women's division outside of the 3 or 4 biggest names and also doing more promos so as to have fewer cold women's matches. I think if they keep going with this direction (more women on tv, more women having longer live talking segments), but also keep doing a lot of necessary tweaking along the way, it could really help. But if it turns into an excuse to let Saraya talk a lot because she isn't cleared to wrestle and nobody gets over because of it then yeah it's a problem. 

FWIW I thought Baker had more snafus than Saraya during the segment. She got flustered during the Hayter chant and ad libbed the dumb line about Hayter coming for the title next week which gave away the finish (not that anyone really thought Deeb was winning). 

I totally agree with all of this, I thought it was a really effective segment and didn't think it was cringe or that she was awful on the mic. I think it added a lot to the match, made me more interested in it. People bitch about cold women's matches with no build and lack of crowd interest.

I also liked how the JAS segment led directly (with a commercial break) to Danielson-Menard. Last night's show was a nice break from the formula (second week in a row actually, in a different direction).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a lot of wrestlers were not at the show last night; Khan gave anyone Florida-based the night off if they needed it.  So that's probably the reason for longer segments.  Meltzer was talking about the crowd not necessarily being too into Menard/Danielson and I'm like "no shit!  There's zero doubt of the the outcome and they're stretching what should be a 3 minute match because they have to fill time."

• Like 3

There was some awkwardness in the segment for sure, but to me, the most egregious thing was Storm just kind of walking out with the other ladies. To me, the only way that would've worked is if she had laid Saraya out and said "I'm the World Champion, and I don't care where you came from or who your mommy is, you do not call the shots in my division." My gripe with the segment as it was is that it was a bit of an unintentional, subliminal burial in a roundabout way, because visually, you're presenting her as being at the same level as Skye and Willow (who I both think are awesome, but aren't presented at Toni's level yet, nor should they be before they're ready). If you'd never seen AEW before and you caught that segment, you'd think the women's division was like 2000s Divas level bad with the way Saraya was talking, with Toni leading the charge.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a lot of wrestlers were not at the show last night; Khan gave anyone Florida-based the night off if they needed it.  So that's probably the reason for longer segments.  Meltzer was talking about the crowd not necessarily being too into Menard/Danielson and I'm like "no shit!  There's zero doubt of the the outcome and they're stretching what should be a 3 minute match because they have to fill time."

It did have some ROH Unscripted II vibes (that was the event on Long Island where we got hit by a blizzard and CM Punk was able to show up somehow for a one off return after the Summer of Punk)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

There was some awkwardness in the segment for sure, but to me, the most egregious thing was Storm just kind of walking out with the other ladies. To me, the only way that would've worked is if she had laid Saraya out and said "I'm the World Champion, and I don't care where you came from or who your mommy is, you do not call the shots in my division." My gripe with the segment as it was is that it was a bit of an unintentional, subliminal burial in a roundabout way, because visually, you're presenting her as being at the same level as Skye and Willow (who I both think are awesome, but aren't presented at Toni's level yet, nor should they be before they're ready). If you'd never seen AEW before and you caught that segment, you'd think the women's division was like 2000s Divas level bad with the way Saraya was talking, with Toni leading the charge.

I agree with you Zakk, all things considered. I liked everyone coming out, lets you see people who show infrequently all at once to refresh the watcher who only watches Dynamite/Rampage and not the Youtube shows of who've we got. It's a start to get more than one or two women on. We should be farther along but this is fresh staff in creative and they're finding their footing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I just kept thinking "what are we having a revolution against?"  Unless Saraya is going to bury the current women's division, I have no idea what she's supposed to be doing.  Also, it's tone deaf booking someone who hasn't been relevant in-ring in over six years, essentially from a different generation, and might not even be able to wrestle, talking about starting a revolution.  It comes off like an old wrestler telling the young wrestlers they're doing it wrong.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

I never understood Paige’s gimmick. She sideskips down the ramp and yells, “this is my house.”

How revolutionary.

She started as the "Anti Diva" and then never had to evolve because the NXT mutants got hold of her.

As soon as she turned 21 she was on the main roster, being pushed as the face of the 'Women's Revolution' tm.

Then the Horsewomen, Asuka, Shayna and Ember came along and just blew her out if the water workrate wise.

• Like 5

Yeah I have the impression that a lot of people didn't watch Paige's work in her last comeback/post-injury authority stuff. She wasn't good, particularly on the mic. She definitely has some charisma or presence to her and I could see wanting her around for this type of role when AEW was starting off... but at this point they have several people who are either better talkers or better workers than her. I assume she has a brief introductory period where people's happy memories of her will let her maybe draw some eyes onto what she is doing but barring her randomly improving during her retirement I think she's gonna get exposed sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but is Matt Hardy supposed to be a goof on HHH now? I e., stealing guys back (contract tampering) because they're unhappy with Andrade? I hope not because they're already doing too much on-screen WWE baiting as it is but it would be funny if Matt starts calling himself "The Puzzle" (get it instead of The Game). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but is Matt Hardy supposed to be a goof on HHH now? I e., stealing guys back (contract tampering) because they're unhappy with Andrade? I hope not because they're already doing too much on-screen WWE baiting as it is but it would be funny if Matt starts calling himself "The Puzzle" (get it instead of The Game). 

308996057_896990961263913_4629988903286828692_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=m8peWvqM2NYAX_ShrN-&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=03_AVLMx7V536m_WDu_1SXywBWiL25zlGFqpMzakvO2qtmt3Q&oe=635CD2C7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, username said:

Yeah I have the impression that a lot of people didn't watch Paige's work in her last comeback/post-injury authority stuff. She wasn't good, particularly on the mic.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/025/935/Screen_Shot_2018-04-16_at_11.12.30_AM.jpg

Not to mention, she's had a ton of plastic surgery done, I didn't recognize her at first.