DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2023

RIPPA

Pretty happy with all the winners. All Quiet... was my favourite movie of the year, so I was happy it took home a bunch of awards. EEAAO deservedly won a ton. Brendan Fraser and Sarah Polley both won, which is astounding. Genuinely teared up when Fraser was announced even though I was expecting it.

Show was still way too long, but the cringe was kept to a minimum, with the Malala moment being the worst of it. (Gaga talking about how meaningful her song from Top Gun was came in 2nd) Other than that but, I thought Kimmel did fine as host.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elizium said:

Oh yeah, underrated Oscar moment was Todd Field being visibly annoyed he didn't win best director

I dunno, Angela Bassett's homage to Sasha Banks when JLC won her Oscar was pretty good.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Predictions.

Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Best Director: Daniel Kwan/Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Best Actor: Austin Butler, Elvis. Going to close between him and Brendan Fraser in The Whale. Rooting for Butler.

Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once. Wouldn't surprise me if it's Cate Blanchett, Tar.

Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Best Supporting Actress: Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once.

5/6. Missed out on Best Actor. That was too close to call. Thought Butler would just get over the line. The Academy like biopics and actors playing real life figures.

Can't overstate how happy I was for the cast of EEAAO on their wins. It made me wonder if the film gets the same response if they got their original casting choice of Jackie Chan. As much as I love Jackie, idk if he has that performance in him.

A little surprised RRR didn't get an international film nomination, considering the tone of the show.  At least the "Naatu, Naatu" performance was lit.

I posed this on my socials, but does anyone feel like this year's show was them kinda meeting in the middle from the weird critique from last year where people were complaining that the awards weren't mainstream enough? Like, people got their panties in a bunch that a movie like Spider-Man will never be nominated, and I feel like this year had a lot of stuff that was meant to reach a more casual audience. Or maybe I'm just dumb lol

• Like 1

The most visibly angry reaction I’ve seen from a award-losing nominee was Burt Reynolds when he missed out for BOOGIE NIGHTS.

While I think that the Academy is fully capable of being racist, I was a bit disappointed by how many people claimed that only racism could explain Angela Bassett’s loss. She was great, but in a small part of a pretty middling movie.

If the award had been for hottest actress or best arms, she’d have won in a landslide.

(Angela Bassett deserves all the awards, but hard to see this, in particular, as a snub)

Edited by Control
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

A little surprised RRR didn't get an international film nomination, considering the tone of the show. 

Strangely, India did not submit it for Best International Picture, choosing Last Film Show instead

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elizium said:

Pretty happy with all the winners. All Quiet... was my favourite movie of the year, so I was happy it took home a bunch of awards. EEAAO deservedly won a ton. Brendan Fraser and Sarah Polley both won, which is astounding. Genuinely teared up when Fraser was announced even though I was expecting it.

Show was still way too long, but the cringe was kept to a minimum, with the Malala moment being the worst of it. (Gaga talking about how meaningful her song from Top Gun was came in 2nd) Other than that but, I thought Kimmel did fine as host.

Yeah, Lady Gaga getting all emotional talking about a song from Military Industrial Complex Propaganda The Movie Part 2 had me cracking up.

• Like 3

Not gonna lie, "Naatu Naatu" alone sold me on checking out RRR.  

It's also neat I actually watched a Best Picture winner before it won for the first time since 2006 (Of course I watched The Departed in the the theater).

Also, A24 went and cleaned up this year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Not gonna lie, "Naatu Naatu" alone sold me on checking out RRR.  

It's also neat I actually watched a Best Picture winner before it won for the first time since 2006 (Of course I watched The Departed in the the theater).

Also, A24 went and cleaned up this year.

RRR is a blast, just make sure you set aside some time for it.

I thought the oscars were as good as they've been in a while. A minimum of bullshit, emphasis on the movies. I could do with another good montage, and during in memoriam never show the artist, but those are quibbles. I didn't notice the time as much, as I watched on a slight delay, courtesy of the old DVR, as six is too early to sit down sometimes.  So I was able to cut out the audience bit and fast forwarded through commercials and a couple of the technical speeches.  How do you do a tribute to Warner Brothers and NOT show the cartoons?

Edited by Kuetsar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I thought the oscars were as good as they've been in a while. A minimum of bullshit, emphasis on the movies. I could do with another good montage, and during in memoriam never show the artist, but those are quibbles. I didn't notice the time as much, as I watched on a slight delay, courtesy of the old DVR, as six is too early to sit down sometimes.  So I was able to cut out the audience bit and fast forwarded through commercials and a couple of the technical speeches.  How do you do a tribute to Warner Brothers and NOT show the cartoons?

Even better, how do you do a WB montage and END IT on a shot of Miller?

• Like 2

Was it the Oscars or the Golden Globes where his daughter thanked Paul Sorvino and he broke down? If it was the Oscars then that really was a snub. And Sizemore is still holding on by a thread, right, or did they pull the plug?

I expected Everything to pick up some stuff but not a near clean-fuckin'-sweep. That's just wild. 

51 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Was it the Oscars or the Golden Globes where his daughter thanked Paul Sorvino and he broke down? If it was the Oscars then that really was a snub. And Sizemore is still holding on by a thread, right, or did they pull the plug?

I expected Everything to pick up some stuff but not a near clean-fuckin'-sweep. That's just wild. 

Oscars.

• Sad 1