DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF - WEEK FOUR

RIPPA

Eh, that's as good a place to start it as anywhere.  

Anyway, the top 10 stayed almost exactly the same. Near as I can tell the biggest matchups this week are... 

Clemson @ Wake

Florida @ Tennessee

---

yeesh.  

39 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Eh, that's as good a place to start it as anywhere.  

Anyway, the top 10 stayed almost exactly the same. Near as I can tell the biggest matchups this week are... 

Clemson @ Wake

Florida @ Tennessee

---

yeesh.  

Arkansas @ A&M, also. A few games that could be big on paper, but barely miss. It's a pretty barren slate.

• Like 1

The Sneak Good Game of the Week That No One Will Be Able To Watch:

USC at Oregon State

Legit shocked that this was relegated to the PAC-12 Network. The Beavs are good this year, and road trips to Corvallis have long been a trap game for the Trojans. This is USC’s first real test of the season, and I wouldn’t be at all shocked if Oregon State is competitive with them or maybe even steals the upset.

I’m sure there’s a lot of animosity on OK State’s end of things, but it really does seem like a logistical issue as much as anything, so hopefully they can work it out to bring it back down the line, like Pitt/WVU just did.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh man, Wake Forest vs Liberty was awesome.  Hugh Freeze is completely crazy.

Him and Prime are at the top of Auburn's list most likely (I'm just accepting the inevitability of the Harsin thing). Not sure how I feel about it given the other baggage associated there.

I feel like people have completely ignored him dming the girl in the lawsuit against Liberty and getting called out for it.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have seen folks trying to make Deion to Nebraska happen

Deion is probably holding out hope that the FSU situation goes south, but Norvell seems to have turned things around.

Deion is definitely an easier sell in the southeast than anywhere else, but even then it's a lot of gimmick with questionable substance even though he has had success at his Jackson St. If you can get the NIL money and the flashy transfers to come with it, it could at least be an initial bump for the program. However, Deion gelling with the powers that be at Auburn or any other booster ran program is a short lived powder keg. 

Hugh’s name comes up for every job because he’s terminally online and makes sure his name gets leaked as a “candidate” at every decent job that comes open. He has not been a serious candidate at any of the schools that his name has been attached to in recent years, and he won’t be a serious candidate at Auburn (or anywhere else). He really has no self-awareness of how badly his reputation is fucked in major college football. Which is really saying something, considering even Urban Meyer is likely going to be coaching again within 3 years. Nobody is buying what Hugh is selling. He’s a walking PR disaster waiting to happen and a legal liability. Art Briles could get a major job before Freeze will. (Not that he is either.)

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

Of the jobs that are expected to come open right now, I think Deion makes the most sense at Georgia Tech. Deion returning to Atlanta would be a seismic cultural event. Probably the only hire GT could reasonably make that might make an impact in Georgia’s stronghold. Deion would drive Kirby crazy, that’s for sure.

• Like 2

I can't see Deion at Auburn, Nebraska or FSU. He's had big success at Jackson State but how much of that is actual coaching and not just recruiting? Yes, recruiting is obviously a big chunk of the job, but how about the other stuff? 

I doubt he'd ever do it but I would want to see Deion put in time as a CB coach somewhere first before making him the head guy at a big program. 

Setting the bar early for stupidity

A University of Utah student was arrested Wednesday after she allegedly threatened to detonate a nuclear reactor on campus if the Utes football team had lost to San Diego State over the weekend, according to radio station KSL in Utah.

According to the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office, the 21-year-old student is accused of making a threat of terrorism. She was booked and released Wednesday.

The woman allegedly posted on social media that, if the Utes lost Saturday's game, she would "detonate the nuclear reactor that is located in the University of Utah causing a mass destruction," according to a police affidavit obtained by KSL. Police said in the affidavit that the woman had information about the reactor and had attended classes in the same building it is located.

Utah defeated San Diego State 35-7 on Saturday, as quarterback Cam Rising threw for 224 yards and four touchdown passes.

45 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Reminds me of rumors of there being a nuclear reactor in one of the UT science buildings.

Technically there was - the old Tokamak at the Fusion Research Center was underground pretty much right under the front steps of ENS.  My father helped design the thing.  My parents pulled me out of school, in second grade maybe, to go watch part of the installation one day.  Fun stuff for a second grader to watch.  Apparently it's in China now.

Anyway, Texas doesn't need a reactor.  They've got Welch hall, which is infinitely more dangerous.

A&M has a fission reactor off of the main campus.  Some friends of mine were hanging around outside it drinking one night and got the bright idea to break into the airport next door.  They got one of the little luggage carrier cars started and were driving it out on the runways in the middle of the night.  FBI raided our dorm the next morning.  Glad I missed that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1