DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 9/12 - 9/18/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Wrestling Opening Videos are so weak right now, and the Raw brand is amongst the worst. Somebody needs to pull a 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot' and document this community of ppl that know and sing Seth Rollins' entrance music. I'm fairly certain Raw opening monologues just aren't for me. Riddle-Balor was solid. Riddle's cooling off when they need someone, say him, to get hot. I understand the need and choice, but the interference felt overplayed. Dug the Dominik Mysterio video package and promo. Silly but well done - not so successful was the overlong Miz segment. I was into the Women's Tag Title bout. Glad to see Sky-Kai take the gold. Despite Aliyah-Rodriguez not catching much momentum I like the try here. Also, it gave the terrific Sky-Kai team some breathing room from the previous champion Naomi-Banks team. Really enjoyed the Gargano-Gable bout. I can't help but think that they should put some steam behind Gable. The fact that's he's actually entertaining in such a robot role is remarkable. I'd love to see him string some singles wins together and run with a secondary belt. I'd also be pleased with a tag title run. Kinda wild seeing two guys of this size and stature get a serious bout and time on a Monday Night Raw. Owens impassioned promo was terrific, but I do wonder: is a Theory rematch necessary? Some of these booking choices suggest the Raw roster might need to grow a little? Belair-Deville had some real follies. I had to put my hands over my eyes a few times and skim it. I admit it makes me question the talent level of this Sonya Deville? Didn't see much of nor care about the Omos segment. Invictus Khash is a fantastic wrestler. I wish the Owens promo, or the anger/passion, were somehow directed at and setting up a bout with Khash. Well... I wanna get into Dominik Mysterio. The Judgement Day-Mysterio/Edge feud is a lot of ffwding and skimming for me. I did like the ankle break coup de grace. I also really liked the Bayley-Sky-Kai v Asuka-Belair-Bliss Trios from Clash at the Castle that I just saw. I'm down for a rematch. And some pairing off if that's the way they're going. They especially could warm my heart with an Asuka-Sky 10, 15 plus minute Raw match. The long-ass silolques are not my bag and this show is overflowing with them. The video packages are alotta hit and miss. I don't see this show ever being something I could watch live. But it's not a complaint. There's enough to enjoy, and I like watching what ends up being about 60 minutes of a wrestling show.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

While probably true, this tweet is causing Twitter to be extra annoying today with all the fantasy booking scenarios imaginable:

I kind of don't see the two weekend mania as a reason to split the belts again, especially if the women main event one night like they really should. If they do end up splitting them it seems better that they just wait until after Wrestlemania or maybe do a tournament leading into it.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late.  Ran an update and it got stuck and it was very scary!  What if the beloved board didn't recover!  But it did.  And now the board is perfect!  There's a CAGE!  The Creed Brothers and Pretty Deadly in a CAGE!  I guess at some point, I should learn Pretty Deadly's individual names.  I don't think the announcers really know their names because they never actually say their names.  I really hate non-1970s/80s cage matches.  Shall I bore you with the whole CAGE KEEPS EVERYBODY OUT AND KEEPS THE HEEL IN rant? You know the drill.  Plus it's WWE and there won't be any blood.  At least in AEW, you know SOMEBODY is going to go for the BLOOD GUSTO- especially if Matt Menard or Angelo Parker are involved.  I dug the Julius Creed doing the preposterous Jump on the toprope and make Pretty Deadly to Self Spanish Fly!  That was totally ludicrous.  Man, there are like seven minutes of commercials in the first picture in picture.  Gnarly SUPERPlex off the top turnbuckle.  GREAT Double Doomsday Device!  Damon Kemp somehow handcuffs Julius Creed to the cage.  Which defeats the point of having a cage.  Though I know in the greatest cagematch ever- Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard, I Quit- that Babydoll does through a chair into the ring to allow Magnum to carve up Tully Blanchard with a wooden stick.  Which was so hardcore.  This will not be hardcore.  But it's fine.  Pretty Deadly started the match as the Fabulous Ones, pretty boys who will completely whip your ass but transition into the Ass Boys, pretty boys who will bump all over the ring to the make the faces look good- as Brutus POUNCES Pretty Deadly all over the ring and hits THOROUGHLY dangerous Overhead Belly To Belly Suplexes.  Elton Prince is the blond guy!  Brutus kicks out of Spilled Milk!  WHICH NOBODY HAS EVER KICKED OUT OF!  Though I've never actually seen them hit that before.  And they hit SPILLED MILK again!  For the WIN!  That was good for a TV kid-friendly cage match.  Both these tag teams rule.  Pretty Deadly finish the match as the Fabulous Ones.  It's Fallon Henley versus Lash Legend!  That wasn't very long.  Quincy Elliott debuts against Sean Gallagher.  He is Goldust-esque and he appears to move pretty well for a big dude.  Cameron Grimes wrestles a handicap match against Tony D'Angelo and Channing Stacks whatshisname.  Why is this match?  Oh, so Joe Gacy can tag with Grimes?  Joe Gacy is good in the ring.  Nice Lariat by Gacy for the win.  That was more of an angle than a match but Gacy and Grimes would be a fine tagteam.  The Diad attacks Grimes after he doesn't hug Gacy or something.  Zoey Stark and Nikita Lyons tagging again.  It's Arianna Grace and Kiana James.  Lyons moves really well.  I loved the crazy ass Reverse Exploider? Suplex by Stark on Grace.  Stark is a WRESTLING MACHINE.  HEY! A 1970s Backdrop!  Stark rules.  Lyons brings back Christy Hemme's Fire Crotch for the win!  Big Body Javi is wrestling.  Hank Walker is wrestling.  Javi is the Fuego Del Sol of NXT.  He makes Walker look good and carries him to a watchable match.  Oh man,  Walker should have had somebody show him how to throw punches.  That was something I had to go back and watch again.  Oh man!  Carmelo Hayes and SOLO SIKOA!   You KNEW that Wes Lee wasn't main eventing this deal. This should be good.  Hayes gets gigantic air on a 1970s Backdrop!  TWO BACKDROPS IN ONE NIGHT!  During the commercial,  I checked the Anoa'i family tree.  Boy, Rikishi had a lot of kids.  Rikishi is the brother to the Tonga Kid and is thus Jacob Fatu's uncle.  That's a lot of wrestlers.  Bloodline indeed.  Oh man, I love Sikoa channelling his Great Uncles, Afa and Sika, by applying a Nerve Hold!  AWESOME!   Trick Williams mangles Sikoa's knee!  Hayes is all vicious taking over working the knee.  
This match is good.  Great Wrecked Em by Sikoa!  Great nearfall on a Samoan Drop.  Uranagi and SWEET Superfly Splash and NEW CHAMPION!  That was good.  Three good matches make for a good episode of NXT.

• Like 3

Pretty Deadly vs. Creeds was good. Dug how PD would take every chance they got to try to run out of the cage while the Creeds just straight up wanted to beat their asses and win inside. Always hated when even faces would try to escape. That only works in certain situations. The finish with Kemp was solid due to giving Brutus a moment to shine trying to win it all on his own.

Lash/Fallon was short and ok.

Quincy Elliot is interesting. Not entirely sure what to think of him though he he looked ok here.

Tony D and Stacks vs. Grimes and eventually Gacey was decent. It served mostly to finally have Gacey and co. turn violent on Grimes post match. The later after match with the Dyad attacking Enofe & Blade does make me loo forward to the eventual six man tag that is coming.

Stark/Lyons vs. James/Grace was solid. James seems to get better each match and worked well enough with Grace.

Its a shame to see Leon is out. I really dug her team with Feroz. I am however strangely interested in Wagner/Sanga.

Solo coming out and finally getting his shot instead of the injured Wes Lee was pretty great. The match with hayes was good stuff with Hayes bumping around and giving some nice reactions whenever his stuff didn't quite work out as well as hoped against Solo. its good to see Solo with some gold. I wasn't expecting it with the Bloodline joining. Kind of loved that the NXT gave no shits and was completely behind him. Curious to see how Solo's reign works out. Kind of hoping this leads to a Bloodline vs. all the brands Survivor Series match or War Games.

• Like 1

Smackdown from last week is replaying and in the six-man Cole says one of the dumbest things ever, that the only other WWE Superstar of Italian descent aside from Vinci is Bruno. I immediately thought of Brooklyn Brawler and Dominic DeNucci and then "fuck... Lou Albano?!" I mean that's a huge name to them. So I Wiki'd Italian wrestlers and was reminded of Gorilla and a bunch of others but the surprises were Hogan, Cena, and Savage. You never think of them in ethnic terms, I suppose, especially since two are characteristically hyper-American. Of course, it just makes what Cole said even dumber. 

BTW, they could replay that match every week in a slightly different way and I'd watch it every single time. Hell, just remix the same spots and I'd still watch it.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Smackdown from last week is replaying and in the six-man Cole says one of the dumbest things ever, that the only other WWE Superstar of Italian descent aside from Vinci is Bruno. I immediately thought of Brooklyn Brawler and Dominic DeNucci and then "fuck... Lou Albano?!" I mean that's a huge name to them. So I Wiki'd Italian wrestlers and was reminded of Gorilla and a bunch of others but the surprises were Hogan, Cena, and Savage. You never think of them in ethnic terms, I suppose, especially since two are characteristically hyper-American. Of course, it just makes what Cole said even dumber. 

Cole was talking wrestlers specifically born in Italy, not just of Italian descent. He is still wrong though with DeNucci and Albano being other names he forgot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, madl said:

Can the return of the overwrought 40 min epic be far behind?

Serious question, aside from Roddy, is there anyone on NXT TV who's even done a 30-40 minute match?  Like at any level?  

53 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Serious question, aside from Roddy, is there anyone on NXT TV who's even done a 30-40 minute match?  Like at any level?  

Well there is the obvious one you forgot in Tyler Bate. Ikemen Jiro is another. Not sure of Meiko's status. Overall still only around a handful. I think they avoid getting lost in 30-40 epics again anyways just because HHH seems more honest with himself now that NXT is a developmental brand.

• Thanks 1

I'd completely missed Meiko, though she may or may not be long for NXT.  Guess we'll see there.  Speaking of champs, btw...

Mandy passed Io Shirai for 3rd longest (women's) title runs.  Assuming nothing crazy happens, she'll catch Shayna around Christmas. 

The even more fun note... she'll pass Asuka on WrestleMania 39's night 1.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

FclNMVUWIAE6rN2?format=jpg&name=small

Like the blend of the two eras.

Just needs the skulls.

I kid.

Sugar Skulls as a compromise?

Hunter gets his metal/death motif but we keep the colourful feel and put a greater focus on luchadores for a year.

Then we rebrand again but instead of 'skulls' we get 'skols' and a year of Scandanavian bear fighters throwing bombs at each other ala Steiner v Goldberg.

Theeeeeen we go from 'skols' to 'skills' and it's a year of NXT 'Pure' rules with the best technical grapplers the world has to offer.

Theeeeeeeen....

Edited by L_W_P