DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/9/2022

Darby vs Sammy - World Title Tournament match!

Obviously, gonna be a great match. I expect to feel legit fear w/r/t Darby's well being at least twice during this match.

Dax vs Claudio - For the ROH belt!

Obviously, gonna be a great match. Dax selling for Claudio will be gorgeous. They are gonna tell a compelling little story in the ring.

Serena Deeb vs Madison Rayne

The floor for this is a really fun Deeb squash. The ceiling is a great back and forth match that makes Dean's poll.

Also Joe will talk. Samoa Joe.

Don't know if he'll fight. Avoiding spoilers.

I should be 100% stoked.

Man. Fuck CM Punk. 

I still can't flip between pages on long threads on this site (or post pictures). If I'm being stingy with the likes and hahahas, it's prolly cuz I can't easily read everything on the site. Some pages are inaccessible. 

I have so many first world problems. 

Life is still good. Rampage tomorrow. BBQ party with some of my wrestling friends in Osaka the next day (Sunday here). 

How YOU doing?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Most looking forward to Claudio Castagnoli vs. Dax Harwood while I'd like Cash Wheeler to get some single matches in like Dax does.

Rooting for Darby Allin over Slapable Sammy. Darby has lost a fair few lately, going between wins and losses. Darby needs protecting more.

• Like 2

The good news moving forward is... that Sammy vs Mox feels fresh and Darby vs Mox also feels fresh.

Danielson vs Darby feels fresh. Danielson vs Sammy also feels fresh.

Sammy vs Jericho would at least be interesting. Darby vs Jericho would feel fresh. 

Mox vs Danielson II would be awesome even if not fresh.

So that just means so long as we avoid Mox vs Jericho, we're basically ok regardless.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The good news moving forward is... that Sammy vs Mox feels fresh and Darby vs Mox also feels fresh.

Danielson vs Darby feels fresh. Danielson vs Sammy also feels fresh.

Sammy vs Jericho would at least be interesting. Darby vs Jericho would feel fresh. 

Mox vs Danielson II would be awesome even if not fresh.

So that just means so long as we avoid Mox vs Jericho, we're basically ok regardless.

Sammy vs Danielson and vs Jericho have never happened, against Mox only once.

He's who I'm pulling for due to most unique matches here. (To make it to the finals at least, not win).

With the idea being they are trying to sell out a 20k seater for the show and lost their biggest draw and 3 of their bigger draws, I don't see how it isn't Moxley vs. Danielson, allowing Bryan to avenge losses to Page, Jericho, and Moxley on the way to transition champion status. Sammy or Darby vs. Danielson would be cool for a normal Dynamite, and I hope we see both of those matches, particularly the Darby match, but they aren't selling 20k tickets. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Danielson vs Darby feels fresh.

Holy fuck the idea of Danielson kicking Darby's fucking head in and Darby's attempts to survive are giving me goosebumps.  Tournament or not I really need this to happen.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Holy fuck the idea of Danielson kicking Darby's fucking head in and Darby's attempts to survive are giving me goosebumps.  Tournament or not I really need this to happen.

I feel like (and I think @Matt Dmight've mentioned this in a review) Danielson's last few matches have been a bit "samey". A match with Darby would 1000% mix it up for him!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only three matches! Messing with the formula to let Deeb and Rayne go back and forth and the bald on bald violence go 20+ glorious minutes! Noice! I think, and I want to be the first to say it, Darby showed great ring awareness in that match with Sammy. Will this be the first time that DEAN puts every match from a show into the poll? Might have happened before. Did Good Old seem particularly terrible to anyone else today? Maybe it was just the contrast from being able to enjoy a whole show without needing to tune him out. Maybe just the "If you are not in it for the money you are an idiot" stuff. Lot of really good professional wrestling this week. Good timing on that, AEW.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's time for Sammy Guevara to start his MARCH to the world title!  Jericho is great on Commentary- he truly is the BWEBSEE!  Sammy and Darby take it to the mat!  They take it to the top and do beautifully elaborate batch of Superplex into suplexes to a Suplex over the rope to a suplex on the floor.  SAMMY AND DARBY ARE THE STEINERS!  Awesome Forearm counter to the Allin tope.  Sammy notes that we are in picture in picture so he procures a chinlock.  SAMMY AND TAY START MAKING OUT!  Darby CRUSHES him with a tope!  Sammy hits very elaborate athletic Diamond Cutter off two ropes.  Sammy misses on a Coffin Drop!  ANNA JAS CHEATS! TAY MELO CHEATS!  SAMMY CHEATS!  Oh man,  Jon Moxely vs Sammy Guevara will be some ugliness.  That was fun but pretty slight.  That was like a G-1 Climax match, not angle-driven just in-ring wrestling.  I dug that but it wasn't heated and epic.  If the ROH matches Josh Woods had are any indication,  Samoa Joe versus Josh Woods should be MONSTROUS.  Josh Woods versus Wardlow would be MONSTROUS too.  PUSH JOSH WOODS!  HE IS AN ANIMAL!  Serena Deeb and Madison Rayne!  This will be perfectly fine!  Oakton is a little to west to be Northern Virginia.  That was perfectly fine.  I await Deeb versus Toni Storm.  Allright!  DAX! Versus CLAUDIO!  They are really beating the fuck out of each other.  This match gets real good real quick.  GREAT fucking PILEDRIVER by DAX FOR TWO!  So I need to watch this match on the INTERNATIONAL FEED because they appear to be murdering each other in picture in picture.  Jesus, Dax goes STRAIGHT into the ring post!  BEAUTIFUL Slingshot Tiger Driver by Dax!  Dax Harwood is so fucking awesome.  I loved how he rolled through Claudio countering his Superplex.  Battle of Sharpshooters!  Claudio's is the last Sharpshooter standing!  That was fucking great!  Man, that was a LOT of great wrestling this week. Four years ago, that would have been the match of the year,  Today, it was the fourth best match on TV this week.  But yeah, that was great.  I'm glad we got two days off to watch football and recover.  AEW RULES THE FUCKING WORLD!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That crowd was dead tired after Dynamite. Felt like the opener held back as a result but it still had some wild stuff like the tope counter cutter and the finish. Gotta rewatch the main event w/o commercials but it was a good, solid hard hitting affair from what I saw but I was making dinner. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Jericho is great on Commentary- he truly is the BWEBSEE

How great was that Caprice shutdown a minute into the main event? "Have you noticed everybody else is using their inside voices?" True. Think Jericho could be pretty great on commentary if he took it down a few notches, which he seemed to do after that. He was way better.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

How great was that Caprice shutdown a minute into the main event? "Have you noticed everybody else is using their inside voices?" True. Think Jericho could be pretty great on commentary if he took it down a few notches, which he seemed to do after that. He was way better.

Caprice comes in and has great chemistry with everyone he's in a booth with. If only we could get a match or two from him on Dark as well.

• Like 5

Opener was fun, not a classic but fun. Too much shenanigans, but I’m going to enjoy Mox unleashing some glorious pro wrestling violence on SammySammySammy. I know Darby technically won the PPV trios match but other then Brody King coffin match he’s been taking a lot of Ls lately.

Deeb vs. Rayne was better than Rayne’s other two matches, and probably the second most enjoyable Deeb singles match to me. Was wondering why they were heating her up, having her take Hayter’s spot with Britt could be interesting but it’s most likely going to end up starting another Shida-Deeb angle and I will not care.

Dax Harwood is probably one of the top 5-8 singles wrestlers in AEW right now as well as being one of the best tag team wrestlers in the world. He and Claudio match up well as heavy hitters with lots of strength but also athletic ability. Dax’s piledriver looked brutal, working the neck was a good angle that didn’t really go anywhere since sharpshooter is a lower back submission. Surprising end to the match, but I always enjoy when matches don’t end with the finisher.

Claudio wrestled slightly heel here, which I think is where BCC is going. Not full heels, but tough guys who just want to beat the hell out of you and lay in some nasty tricks as part of that without actually cheating.

Woods-Joe is going to be vicious.

Hobbs with a short, sweet promo.

On the other hand, Jade’s act and push is more stale than the Cheerios in the backseat footwell of a minivan. They really need to find a way to end this streak so she can grow as a character and wrestler.

Edited to add that I also like Jericho on commentary, he has a future there once his body is done.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Agreed! It can be tough when Jericho goes full Sam Kinison. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Octopus said:

Agreed! It can be tough when Jericho goes full Sam Kinison. 

I always thought it was funny when he would randomly throw in “hey I’ll throw a fireball at you because I’m a wizard”. BeeSeeBeeWee isn’t as clever as he thinks.

Caprice shows up and immediately owns the show by telling Jericho announcers use their inside voices. Jericho mutters "I hate you guys..." because the adults have spoken. Then, the old man next to him pipes up out of nowhere about IF YOU AREN'T IN THE RING FOR THE MONEY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU. Somebody put Abe back in the home, please. 

Anyway, I think the main was great but it feels like the crowd responded best to the opening chain wrestling and the Swing. Maybe they should have just kept it on the mat the whole time? I know we want to hear Dax's chops but they could work an entire match without a strike and it would rule. This was mutilated by commercials and PnP so it needs an international evaluation (though commercials apparently mar it there too). 

Sammy/Darby was a decent TV match with a shite ending. I swear Darby did not bear the full brunt of landing on those trucks. He might be crazy but not that crazy. I was distracted during Serena/Madison but it was short, and Madison creeps me out. Crowd was definitely spent but hey, what do you expect after the main of Rampage. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Then, the old man next to him pipes up out of nowhere about IF YOU AREN'T IN THE RING FOR THE MONEY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU.

He said “any wrestler who tells you ‘I’m not in it for the money’ is an idiot.”  Way to dismiss anyone who might dare to actually value pro wrestling as something more than just a con to separate the marks from their money.

Wednesday, we got this beautiful, inspiring promo from Mox all about the love of wrestling.  Friday, we get a bitter old carny spouting ugly, cynical bullshit. JR has seriously got to go.

You know if some QB for The bah gawd Sooners talked about how he does it for the love of footbaw and not the money, Ross would pop a chub right there.  Dude just hates wrestling and looks at it as no more than a phony con.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6