DVDVR Message Board

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Wisconsin beats Michigan 35-14 Michigan beats Illinois 42-25 So, obviously, Illinois beats Wisconsin.
  3. It's not working for me and it should be, I'm 100% that audience.
  4. Stakes, Surprises, Serialized Storytelling. Even one of the three would be nice.
  5. I could completely be misremembering, but I feel like there was one Raw where there was only 20 something minutes of actual bell to bell action. TV matches were constantly only 2-3 minutes long, and fans would start chanting boring at the first sign of a headlock. There was a period in the early 00s where they basically had to re-educate fans to accept longer matches.
  6. Man, the singer from Ghost looks like shit.
  7. Today
  8. JR commentary incoming.
  9. Finished it. Last fight was kinda underwhelming
  10. What an entertaining card. Lauzon's nasty Reverse Nelson, the Yair Stephens fight was gold, Reyes with the fadeaway, and Cormier and Cruz bugging out over that inhaler, this show nearly had it all.
  11. I was trying to give like the briefest possible overview because the best possible outcome of putting it out there is someone goes "oh hey maybe I'll play this WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON"
  12. Vince has about 25 years left in charge so buckle up. Shit, with how tired HHH sounds, I think Vince might out live him.
  13. They didn’t play his music so he refused to come to the ring.
  14. I remember the internet complaint in 1998, while both shows were popping massive ratings, was about how little wrestling there was and how short the matches were. now, the “fun” part of everybody being somebody’s favorite is that also means somebody will be annoyed online when anybody gets squashed (either really squashed or just something seen as a squash). So, your options to get somebody over means annoying somebody else. For the complaints over 50/50 booking, I suspect if then veered away from that, there’d be some sudden nostalgia for 50/50 booking. maybe the WWE found a way to do Indy supermatch style matches in a way that doesn’t appeal to casuals or hardcores.
  15. Honestly, I think that it's possible to do both of those things- please Internet hardcores and make the Wrestling industry like 1998 again....because wrestling in 1998 was basically an updated version of what worked in the 1980s boom. All you have to do is remember every wrestler is someone's favorite and simply give everyone on the roster something to do, make sure that if they're doing something, it's seen as important to them...and then give it a little time to gestate and work people into a frenzy for it. Tyler Breeze's career is a good example of this: People may have whined he deserved some big push before and after the Fashion Files...but during the Fashion Files, no one was whining, because Breeze was doing something, and they gave it the time to make it clear it mattered to the show. That's really all you need. Just give everyone something to feast on, and people will be happy, and when they're happy, they'll watch.
  16. Let’s just say that matches long enough that they go through multiple breaks probably isn’t a crowd-growing experience if it’s done every show. No live sport goes to commercial during action. If you’re a predetermined live sport, then you have the power to not have to deal with that as a regular thing.
  17. @BurningBeard I wouldn't be so quick to write off all of the current guys' promo abilities. It's true that as a whole it's not even close because for the indies since the rise of ROH the emphasis has been on in-ring and for those working within WWE, it's all scripted, sanitized, and over-coached. But, there's a pretty clear delineation between those who believe in themselves and what they are saying and those that are pretending. David Starr is 100% the former. Guys like Eddie Kingston, Samoa Joe, Juice Robinson, Kevin Owens (at least back in the day, I don't know what goofy shit he's up to now), Sami Zayn (Mark Henry said he's the best going today), Moxley, and Bryan can all give promos where it's clear they have conviction. Starr, for me anyway, is one of the best promo guys of this century. The WWE people often have to turn it up past 11 but they are more than capable of delivering great stuff on the mic. There are others who are clearly talented speakers and/or charismatic but aren't super believable, like The Miz, Jericho (though his current gimmick is basically just him turned up), and Wyatt (because of how outlandish and previously incomprehensible the shit he spews is/was). It's not a lost art so much as its been de-emphasized and perverted, but it can make a comeback. NXT, I believe, doesn't script word for word (please correct me if I'm wrong) and AEW is bullet points as far as I know, so there is some big platforms for wrestlers to deliver at least partially their own stuff and fail and learn. edit: Fuck, I forgot Juice. How can I forget JUICE?!
  18. The discount DVD company? (Where my movie board peeps at?)
  19. Right now the only thing Oklahoma is doing wrong is the sooner schooner completely falling off the rails leaving a trail of bodies and torn up field behind them. Cue the Jim Ross sound effects
  20. As of right now, week 2 has fewer views though it's close.
  21. I liked the randomness of Cody having his own sit down chat segment. The randomness and title screen of this segment along with the tacky control center green screen demonstrates a nice post Tim & Eric vibe which everyone seems to be enjoying. But again, I really hope they stop with these tacky sentimental scores. They need a good music supervisor. The stories have enough emotion, you don't need to slap the audience in the face with that music. Also, I generally have dug the WWE swipes (mostly by Runnels), but Audrey's story of not being hired felt a little like pulling straws. I really like Joey, but he's better suited to fit himself into a more traditional hardcore style uniform. Non-trad wrestling gear. Just rocking a cut off t-shirt would do wonders in masking Joey's slight shortcomings while accentuating his bad boyish beauty. I really badly want to see Joey playing Michael PS alongside a pair of free birds. He's got exceptional charisma and I gather he'd be a pretty strong promo. His storytelling from that recent BTE was nice to listen to. If this big bout was to test viewership, which may very well be true, why is this show not being promoted on Dynamite? It's especially frustrating when said Janela-Omega match catches a buzz and they show not a single highlight. Just a 5-20 second recap highlight package as Kenny walks to the ring would suffice. Or take a minute over at the announcers table to present a showcase of Dark highlights. Dark has been good, why not make it more important and reward those who do watch. Make it seem more in continuity with the A show. Small complaints, it's early, I just hope they adjust and make Dark feel more meaningful in the grand scheme.
  22. I suspect the “ways to make the Wrestling industry like 1998” again would involve a few ideas that would go directly against the conventional wisdom of Internet hardcores.
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?