DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

They'll all be gone some day.

Anyway, Edward R. Morrow is finally on the case. And it's the "he was trying to be funny" defense as expected.

Edit: Seems WON deleted the tweet. Here's a link to the site:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/kenny-omega-8-out-of-10-quip-during-aew-meeting-got-mixed-reaction?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

I have no idea what the evp’s are like in the locker room, but it does feel like maybe they had a rose-tinted view of what running the company would be like.  From the outside looking in, it seems like they might have expected it to be “All Family Wrestling” (not my joke; I’m just borrowing the term) and, once the promotion started getting a little successful, things got away from them and the atmosphere changed.  I feel like the day one locker room was largely people the Elite and Cody wanted in their, and now it’s Al of people they probably didn’t have a hand in hiring.  Things change when a company starts to grow. 

it also seems like Tony and the Elite aren’t on the same page now.  My  feeling is Tony got blindsided at the presser and felt like playing along and riding it out was hopefully the best way to be through it without doing any major damage.  I feel like he definitely should have shut it down when it became clear the situation was out of control.  I can’t imagine a tv show, legit sport, etc. where you’d be allowed to go so off script that you start insulting your co-workers in front of the media.  Someone would come along and take the microphone out of your hand and you would be done in the business.  I’m curious what Tony expected to happen when Punk turned his attention from Cabana to the Elite.  Regardless of what their relationship with Tony was before the presser, it’s hard to believe the Bucks and Page aren’t wondering if Tony wants them out.

• Like 5

I don’t think it’s that he wants them out so much as if they aren’t going to adapt to the company they helped grow in the first place, then they aren’t going to add value to the company going forward. The whole idea of pro wrestling “in their image” clearly only had them having the heavy hand on the entire product when it’s pretty clear you can only do that in a smaller locker room where you have complete control. That’s not the case anymore. 

• Like 4

Didn’t realize there was a thread for this outside of the AEW board so I never really posted my thoughts. Don’t really feel like going through 25 pages and I’m sure it’s been touched on but the ultimate irony of this situation to me is that Punk was mad Page made him look bad, but instead of handling it privately he drew way more attention to it, now everyone has gone back and watched that Page promo, knows the words behind it hold real weight, and won’t forget it any time soon. This could have all been brushed under the rug. The funny thing is, watching that promo at the time, I thought the lines were good, but the whole “I’m defending AEW from you” bit was just a variation of Kingston’s promo months earlier. I feel like the “worker’s rights” line must have really gotten to him, since he didn’t get a comeback, whereas with Kingston he could always use the “you’re fat and wasted your potential” bit to get a bit of a receipt.

And yes, the whole “these guys have done nothing in this business” line is the most egregious to me, since the Bucks and Omega have done more for Indy wrestling and getting journeymen paid than Punk could ever dream. The weird cringey Christian dorks are ironically way more punk than Punk. They did things their way, never “sold out”, and brought their friends along with them. In ring wise Punk’s best matches have always been against the real best in the world types, like Samoa Joe and John Cena. I really haven’t loved any Punk match since he’s got back besides the Eddie Kingston one. So I would just dump him. Ratings don’t seem to have changed much in the long run, houses seem down, l think AEW has much bigger problems to address than losing one very volatile talent. 

• Like 7

I like that Colt on his twitch stream mentioned that his brother, who is a director on Family Guy, also shares a bank account with their mom. I also like to think that this means that Colt secretly hates his bother and is trying to make him look like a loser >_>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, username said:

I like that Colt on his twitch stream mentioned that his brother, who is a director on Family Guy, also shares a bank account with their mom. I also like to think that this means that Colt secretly hates his bother and is trying to make him look like a loser >_>

That was a dick move by CM Punk. Shitty thing to do.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, username said:

Lucky is the gal who

Has a couple sons who'll

Share a bank account

With their old mommmmm!

They! Are! Fam! Ly! Guyyyysss!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

That was a dick move by CM Punk. Shitty thing to do.

It was, but at the same time I wonder if that was the intention of the comment. I kind of read it as Colt talking a lot of shit about legal action and when Punk threatened the same in return, Colt then brought up the shared bank account as a reason to dissuade Punk from it. 

Maybe I just interpreted it wrong. 

The whole thing just seems very odd. The Elite seem like a pack of spoilt brats who like to talk shit and Punk seems like a guy who can't handle that sort of thing anymore and has zero tact. I don't condone the rant and what follows, but looking at things from his perspective, as an actual major star coming in, he could have been the stereptype of a guy who only works main events, never loses and never shows weakness, but he's worked with younger talent, made them look good and has brought new eyes to the product while outwardly promoting a positive image of the company. If he'd genuinely tried to be the team player and then this shit started, I could see why that as a guy already known for having a quick temper, that this might set that off. 

The Bucks have openly said that they push people's buttons to get a response, going back to the Booker T thing over a decade ago. Or the shit they used to do on Twitter, but they do strike me as guys who really don't like it when people bite back at them as well. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Who cares about who’s an “actual star” when ratings, attendance and buy rates haven’t changed (if not declined). Sting, Danielson, Jericho, and Christian are “actual stars” by all measures and don’t really move the needle. They also haven’t deliberately buried the company for the whole world to see. And who’s to say who’s spoiled? A tag team that never had a major contract deal yet managed to completely shift the paradigm of how much non WWE-employed wrestlers can earn, or a guy who’s leveraged his WWE fandom for the last 7 or so years to be in positions they had no business being in? Without getting into anything in terms of in ring talent the Young Bucks are the first people I’ve ever seen in my life to go beyond the Indy scene into mainstream outlets like Hot Topic, selling out stadiums, and securing major deals for any company they work for. And I say this as someone who’s not the biggest fan of them in ring (Matt bothers me more for whatever reason). That takes real talent and drive when you don’t have billion dollar companies, PR teams, and agents behind you. No one has been able to turn a New Japan run into something world wide, so again I have to point out that that these guys are more “punk” than Punk, and that being an “actual star” is the only thing that makes these things possible.

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, DeadEffect said:

It was, but at the same time I wonder if that was the intention of the comment. I kind of read it as Colt talking a lot of shit about legal action and when Punk threatened the same in return, Colt then brought up the shared bank account as a reason to dissuade Punk from it. 

Maybe I just interpreted it wrong. 

I read it as Punk’s legal team discovering they had a way to go after Colt’s mom and using that to bully Cabana/Colton into dropping the lawsuit.

• Like 11

Thinking of a couple of responses on here, I'm getting the impression certain people here would watch Wayne's World and side with Rob Lowe. Rock n Roll!

I've not really worked for any really small businesses, but I've worked in businesses that had been small in the very recent past (less than 50 bodies) and I've worked in medium-size businesses that crossed the tribal threshold of somewhere around 150-180 employees and became large orgs. When you cross that threshold, the way things work inevitably changes.

AEW probably started out less than 50 people being involved in the day-to-day  - basically there were probably less than 50 people really making things happen. Clearly it's more than 50 today, and it may be pushing towards the tribal limit. Tony has increased the roster very quickly, and clearly didn't get ahead of how to best manage all of that talent - I was previously critical of allowing Christopher Daniels to work regularly whilst having the talent relations gig (he seems to be about to cut back on that). I'm not sure it's exactly reasonable to expect The Young Bucks or Kenny Omega (or Christopher Daniels come to that) to be deeply conscious of organisation change management. It was Tony's job to bring them along, to be quite honest.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

Who cares about who’s an “actual star” when ratings, attendance and buy rates haven’t changed (if not declined). Sting, Danielson, Jericho, and Christian are “actual stars” by all measures and don’t really move the needle. They also haven’t deliberately buried the company for the whole world to see. And who’s to say who’s spoiled? A tag team that never had a major contract deal yet managed to completely shift the paradigm of how much non WWE-employed wrestlers can earn, or a guy who’s leveraged his WWE fandom for the last 7 or so years to be in positions they had no business being in? Without getting into anything in terms of in ring talent the Young Bucks are the first people I’ve ever seen in my life to go beyond the Indy scene into mainstream outlets like Hot Topic, selling out stadiums, and securing major deals for any company they work for. And I say this as someone who’s not the biggest fan of them in ring (Matt bothers me more for whatever reason). That takes real talent and drive when you don’t have billion dollar companies, PR teams, and agents behind you. No one has been able to turn a New Japan run into something world wide, so again I have to point out that that these guys are more “punk” than Punk, and that being an “actual star” is the only thing that makes these things possible.

The Young Bucks are like the Kevin Harts of pro wrestling.

Malakai Black posted stuff on his Instagram, and partly spoke about how all the talk about his mental health and him wanting to leave AEW because of it didn’t come from him and wasn’t the reason. If it wasn’t for all the other stuff that’s been happening I wouldn’t think much of it but it’s pretty suspicious.

it seems AEW has a big problem in the locker room with people spreading lies or misrepresenting the truth. TK needs to get control of his company because the past few weeks have really shown that the locker room has become a real political mess. I don’t think it’s WCW bad yet but there definitely seems to be people there causing division. 
I think Punk and the Elite have both acted like children during this situation. And there needs to be changes how the company works if Cody was driven out, the EVPs and the biggest signing of company’s history are literally fighting, and rumors being leaked out to “reporters”  .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Malakai Black posted stuff on his Instagram, and partly spoke about how all the talk about his mental health and him wanting to leave AEW because of it didn’t come from him and wasn’t the reason. If it wasn’t for all the other stuff that’s been happening I wouldn’t think much of it but it’s pretty suspicious.

it seems AEW has a big problem in the locker room with people spreading lies or misrepresenting the truth. TK needs to get control of his company because the past few weeks have really shown that the locker room has become a real political mess. I don’t think it’s WCW bad yet but there definitely seems to be people there causing division. 
I think Punk and the Elite have both acted like children during this situation. And there needs to be changes how the company works if Cody was driven out, the EVPs and the biggest signing of company’s history are literally fighting, and rumors being leaked out to “reporters”  .

I think that the recent changes/additions to different teams under TK is to address that and create a better working environment, but even I'll admit it probably needed to be done sooner. I'm a big fan of all four wrestlers involved in the brawl, but I'd be hesitant to bring any of them back at this point and keep on moving along with what is still a strong and deep roster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sublime said:

Didn't this all start with him posting stuff on Instagram?

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be a Twitter screenshot of text that says 'Joseph Montecillo @josephweirdness It's gonna be crazy when Bryan Danielson becomes a World Champion after Punk dramatically leaves a company in three different decades. 6:27 AM Sep 22 Twitter Web App'

Nothing against you, but we don't need this posted in so many different threads.

4 hours ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Didn't this all start with him posting stuff on Instagram?

Yes.

EDIT: Sorry, not Instagram. It was his Tumblr.

Edited by Craig H

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Nothing against you, but we don't need this posted in so many different threads.

Yes.

EDIT: Sorry, not Instagram. It was his Tumblr.

Tumblr? Is he a 15-year old emo kid who makes anime fanart?

ARGH...  This story keeps coming back to life like Michael fuckin Myers.

Wade Keller is reporting that CM Punk is 'probably done' in AEW.   Unclear if it's a buyout situation or not, but he's probably out. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

ARGH...  This story keeps coming back to life like Michael fuckin Myers.

Wade Keller is reporting that CM Punk is 'probably done' in AEW.   Unclear if it's a buyout situation or not, but he's probably out. 

I wondered if a part of parting with Punk is that, possibly paying his medical bills as well?