DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay we need the fucking story on this now. 

Sure! Let's turn to Page 91 of This Side of the Mic (Second Edition):

The craziest night in Firestorm made national headlines. I was announcing the co-main event. Two huge hands grabbed me from behind by the shoulders. I looked up, and it was Jake “The Snake” Roberts!
He wasn’t supposed to take my microphone and cut a drunken heel promo on the crowd, but what was I supposed to do, say no? He was getting that microphone one way or the other, so I chose the easy way.
Roberts was supposed to be a babyface, and he had nothing to do with this match. Finally, he stopped talking and went backstage to prepare for the main event.
That match was a complete disaster. He lost in two minutes to JT Lightning, which was not the original plan. J-Rocc tried his best to salvage the situation by running into the ring so Jake could give him the DDT. The chaotic scene was picked up by a national gossip website called TMZ.
Sometimes, my daughter will come up behind me and give me the Jake Grip, and I’ll say, “Ahh! It’s Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts!’”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, nate said:

So Cody Rhodes.

Nah, Cody's not the athlete that Omega is or even near it, I don't think. 

It's probably sacrilege to say here, but I think that Omega and Rollins are roughly about equal in pro wrestling talent. They're excellent athletes, but as singles, they thrive best in a) settings that evoke a match you might have on HTCP (that Rollins/Cena/Lesnar triple threat at the Rumble) or b) when they're reeled in by someone who understands pacing and building. Cody has a much better grasp of those things than Omega or Rollins does. That's why Cody is a viable main eventer in WWE's style, but Rollins was a flop as long-term champ and Omega would flop hard in that role as well. 

(Cody's also much better on the stick than either of those guys, which is another factor to consider.)

@ElsalvajelocoEverything I have read or heard about Kaufman indicates that he'd tell Jimmy just to use it as part of the work, but I watched that again a couple years back, and I agree with you that it's rough to watch knowing that Kaufman is dying. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Gorman said:

Sure! Let's turn to Page 91 of This Side of the Mic (Second Edition):

The craziest night in Firestorm made national headlines. I was announcing the co-main event. Two huge hands grabbed me from behind by the shoulders. I looked up, and it was Jake “The Snake” Roberts!
He wasn’t supposed to take my microphone and cut a drunken heel promo on the crowd, but what was I supposed to do, say no? He was getting that microphone one way or the other, so I chose the easy way.
Roberts was supposed to be a babyface, and he had nothing to do with this match. Finally, he stopped talking and went backstage to prepare for the main event.
That match was a complete disaster. He lost in two minutes to JT Lightning, which was not the original plan. J-Rocc tried his best to salvage the situation by running into the ring so Jake could give him the DDT. The chaotic scene was picked up by a national gossip website called TMZ.
Sometimes, my daughter will come up behind me and give me the Jake Grip, and I’ll say, “Ahh! It’s Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts!’”

2 ironic things about this. 

1. I was at this show.  Give it up 1 time for J-Rocc Daddy!!

2. I am wearing a Firestorm shirt right now!!  That Damn John McChesney learned his merch selling tactics straight from Virgil

I might have gotten this one from Rowe (Eric of Viking Raiders) though.   Firestorm could have been great if the AIW guys didn't F with them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Nah, Cody's not the athlete that Omega is or even near it, I don't think. 

It's probably sacrilege to say here, but I think that Omega and Rollins are roughly about equal in pro wrestling talent. They're excellent athletes, but as singles, they thrive best in a) settings that evoke a match you might have on HTCP (that Rollins/Cena/Lesnar triple threat at the Rumble) or b) when they're reeled in by someone who understands pacing and building. Cody has a much better grasp of those things than Omega or Rollins does. That's why Cody is a viable main eventer in WWE's style, but Rollins was a flop as long-term champ and Omega would flop hard in that role as well. 

(Cody's also much better on the stick than either of those guys, which is another factor to consider.)

@ElsalvajelocoEverything I have read or heard about Kaufman indicates that he'd tell Jimmy just to use it as part of the work, but I watched that again a couple years back, and I agree with you that it's rough to watch knowing that Kaufman is dying. 

I liked Rollins work when he didn't talk. When he was Tyler Black wrestling Nigel.  I believe he had a great match against Hero too that I watched more than once. 

Omega-Rollins are extremely similar and both have evolved on the mic by leaps and bounds. Both can also play heel or face.  Really hard to say one is better than the other. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 9:19 PM, lostinube said:

The way things are going with Kota and NJPW, if they can find the right money guy we will end up with All Golden Lovers Wrestling with only two wrestlers on the roster but still having four hour shows with the main event being a 120 minute time limit two out of three falls match with the third fall being like, I dunno, a game of Super Smash Brothers.

I once had a match idea that was like chess-boxing but with fighting games instead of chess.

Wrestlers would do 5 minute rounds, then play a fighting game buring the break.

Fights could be won by 2 pinfalls, 2 submissions, 1 knockout, 2 fighting game wins, or 1 fighting game perfect.

You could even do things like joint manipulation/armwork to make your opponent drop combos.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:56 PM, The Natural said:

FbGY8b9WYAAto8A?format=jpg&name=small

NSFW. What Tony Khan was thinking internally as CM Punk talked.

Tony loses his mind fires everyone so Hangman comes back as Texas Red under a hood, The Elite are The Elite Machines, ect except for Uno who gets to stay himself

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Tony loses his mind fires everyone so Hangman comes back as Texas Red under a hood, The Elite are The Elite Machines, ect except for Uno who gets to stay himself

Uno dons a second mask over his regular mask

Rex kramer airplane movie GIF on GIFER - by Umndis

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2022 at 8:32 PM, piranesi said:

This is why you are smarter than me, Mr. P. I have just been watching Fridays this week on Tubi (for the musical guests, I swear (Devo 3x)(and the Mexican DJ sketches) (and The Pharmacist) (and Andy Kaufman bits)) and I didn't think of this connection. Boy, those shows always have been gutted and censored, so many missing episodes, sketches and musical acts (still no Sir Douglas Quintet or The Jam or Split Enz, but we get Al Jarreau twice?). Anyway, yeah, as others pointed out, this was a work but is it really a work if the principle parties never acknowledged that, or more importantly, if others involved didn't know it was a work? If money was involved, then it would be classified as a con. AK was one-of-a-kind, despite his imitators and vast influence. Another Johnny Legend cultural touchstone, by the way. We certainly were talking about this in school the next day (the sketch, not JLegend we were not that cool). 

Kaufman's next season sweaty coked hangover was the best.

• Like 1