DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

My "best possible scenario" shifts all the time as we get new info. First, it was Punk doing business with Omega/Bucks. Then it was Punk just putting over young guys after he comes back until he's done. Then it was just the Elite leaving AS WELL as Punk.

Now it's Punk coming back in November for a promo in Chicago where he apologies, admits that he dishonored himself and the company and the fans and pledges that he's going to restore his honor by getting better, coming back as strong as he can, and saving ROH from Jericho.

This is now my new "best possible scenario." It's extremely unlikely.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot we had this thread.

Dave Meltzer:

AEW and CM Punk are in talks to buyout the remaining years on his contract, according to Dave Meltzer in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

The news comes less than two months after Punk, Ace Steel, the Young Bucks, and Kenny Omega were involved in a backstage fight following Punk's comments about the Bucks, Omega, and others at September's All Out post-event press conference.

Meltzer said neither Punk or AEW commented on, or denied, the story.

Meltzer wrote that AEW and Punk were talks about the future, but "it looks doubtful he will be back. Those with close knowledge of the situation said they are in talks with Punk about a buyout of the remaining years of his contract which tells you that they are not looking to bring him back. The holdup right now is said to be the non-compete period."

He wrote that the non-compete is obviously because of WWE as they are the only other group that can pay him what he would ask for. Punk is currently injured from his All Out match with Jon Moxley, however, with no public timetable for when he could return.

The length of the disputed non-compete was not included.

Meltzer pointed out there is no lock WWE would want Punk back even with Paul Levesque on a streak of surprise returns, noting they turned down having Punk return before despite Fox wanting them to do so.

AEW has yet to publicly state anything related to the fight with Tony Khan refusing to answer questions when asked. It's assumed that Omega and the Bucks were suspended following the fight while Punk is injured and can't return to action anyway. It's unclear if he is still suspended despite that.

Punk, Omega, and the Bucks were all stripped of their titles on the post-All Out edition of Dynamite without being mentioned by name or why the titles were stripped from them to begin with.

Steel, a backstage producer and close friend of Punk's, was released earlier this week in the latest development in a situation that has been slow moving and without a lot of answers. 

Punk debuted for AEW in August 2021 at Chicago's United Center after nearly eight years away from pro wrestling, returning to the ring a few weeks later against Darby Allin at that year's All Out.

I thought a buyout as a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

New from Punk's camp as reported exclusively by Nick Hausman:

Following the report that The Elite may be returning to All Elite Wrestling "imminently," Wrestling Inc. reached out to CM Punk's camp for a response, and received one.

We've been told that AEW has not reached out to Punk since the incident following the All Out media scrum, in which Punk and his friend and trainer, Ace Steel, reportedly got into a backstage brawl with AEW EVPs Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks. Sources indicate that after the brawl, Punk was asked to stay quiet, and agreed to do so. From the perspective of Punk's camp, the scrum itself — which became the talk of the wrestling world due to Punk's comments on Colt Cabana, "Hangman" Adam Page, and The Elite — didn't seem like a big deal, and only escalated once Punk's locker room door was "kicked in" and accidentally hit Punk's dog, Larry, in the face. At a pre-scheduled veterinarian appointment a few days later, Punk was informed that two of Larry's teeth had been knocked loose and had to be removed.

It was noted to us that Punk felt threatened and reacted in a legal way under Illinois' Castle Doctrine laws, which allow for the use of force in defense of a person in their dwelling. At this time, there is no litigation against Punk on behalf of anyone involved. It was also relayed to us that Steel's wife, Lucy, was in the room during the incident, but has not been interviewed as part of the internal investigation into the matter.

Finally, we were informed that, following "Hangman" Adam Page's comments on a May episode of "AEW Dynamite" alluding to backstage concerns about Punk, there was distrust on Punk's end going into his AEW World Championship match with Page at Double or Nothing 2022, and that Punk was concerned that the pre-determined match would break down into a real physical fight.

Please stay with Wrestling Inc. for all the latest regarding the fallout from the AEW All Out incident and CM Punk's future.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1073053/cm-punks-dog-injured-and-more-on-aew-all-out-fallout-exclusive/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't wait for CM Punk to show up on the new ROH tv series next year with the mysterious hooded Higher Power. The Higher Power takes his hood off on tv and reveals himself as.....Tony Khan! Together they will destroy AEW.

11D chess angle.

I don't know if this is just due to my own random personal experiences in the past but I assume anyone who uses the term castle doctrine is an asshole (obviously not the posters here just using it in reference to the statement) so this is all incredibly on brand for Punk IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

New from Punk's camp as reported exclusively by Nick Hausman:

Wasn't Nick Hausman the guy who Punk flipped out on initially during the Gripebomb? Not casting any aspersions, I just find this to be a funny coincidence