DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

I think TK rushed to turn Punk into giving CM Punk as the 94-96 Bret Hart of his company early this year. I figured TK would refrain from putting the World title before their first year mainly to avoid criticism of him being called money mark. I not saying it wouldn't have gotten the far if they kept the title on Hangman Page a little longer and put over someone else instead but I'm sure it didn't help things. 

Punk wanted to be what Terry Funk was to ECW but that responsibility also means being the locker room morale healthy as best as you can. 

As much of a "Man Crush" Vince McMahon had over Shawn Michaels in 96/97, I feel TK has the same level of reverence for CM Punk and the Elite. It's going to be interesting to me to see who goes because I don't see TK letting any of them go right now unless he is forced to legally. He sat next to Punk as he buried his own promotion and his feelings looked so hurt.

I could see him moving Punk a ND his supporters to RIng of Honor and leave the Elite on AEW if he is able to get them on TV or he could make Rampage into and ROH show.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

That ship sailed even before Phil got there. 

To me, a true money mark is one that spends with no hope of recouping. Otherwise, pretty much every promoter is a money mark.

That's why the Jacksonville Dixie thing made no sense. The Carters bought into something that was DOA months in the beginning. AEW at least came from some type of organic movement. Weekly PPVs wasn't organic.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lostinube said:

The way things are going with Kota and NJPW, if they can find the right money guy we will end up with All Golden Lovers Wrestling with only two wrestlers on the roster but still having four hour shows with the main event being a 120 minute time limit two out of three falls match with the third fall being like, I dunno, a game of Super Smash Brothers.

I like to call it New Elite Wrestling. That way we get a New Japan - All Japan dynamic with the two companies. Omega can turn anime and be called Kenny “Thunder” Omega and Bobby Fish can pretend to be Inoki, while Kingston can travel the king’s road while endlessly chopping with his fighting spirit and we can use a stretcher to elongate Chris Jericho’s torso to be Baba-like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I thought Panda energy bought TNA as a tax right off and to give the family idiot something to do?

Probably, but the way Jeff Jarrett tells it, Bob Carter was really invested in it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

This is why Norm Macdonald got booted from SNL. I don't think it was a one time incident but apparently he kept going off script during weekend update 

But it wasn't REALLY.

Don Ohlmeyer was the NBC higher-up who was well-known for not wanting Norm MacDonald because he "Wasn't funny". It had NOTHING (wink wink) to do with the fact that Ohlmeyer's golfing buddy was OJ Simpson and nobody went after OJ like Norm and writer Jim Downey.

Ohlmeyer said afterwards that MacDonald wasn't funny (Citing an interview with MacDonald where he'd said that Downey would bring him a joke that would kill but was hack-y and they'd agree not to do it, and how it only mattered to Norm if his friends at home were laughing at his jokes as a sort of comedy elitism that reinforced his beliefin him not being funny) but basically everyone around Ohlmeyer and the show knew that it was down to the OJ jokes.

I think my favourite Norm-ism from this whole thing was Macdonald who came into work that week to be told he was being fired from 'Weekend Update' and he said "That's terrible" and when he asked why, was told it was because he "wasn't funny" and he said "That's even worse, I'm a comedian and I'm not funny!"

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Peck said:

Bringing back the territory system.. one DVDVR interviewer at a time.

I started as a journalism major, but I’m an introverted person so that didn’t last. But I’m more outgoing now and I’ll ask any plant questions they want! Covering north California from Sacramento to Santa Cruz. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I started as a journalism major, but I’m an introverted person so that didn’t last. But I’m more outgoing now and I’ll ask any plant questions they want! Covering north California from Sacramento to Santa Cruz. 

There's already a worked wrestling reporter on that beat. 

• Haha 9

12 hours ago, Gorman said:

When Jake the Snake Roberts grabbed my shoulders from behind, I knew he was getting my microphone one way or another. So I didn't put up a fight. The show devolved into chaos and ended up on TMZ. Sometimes, everything is going to blow up, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Okay we need the fucking story on this now. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Red River Jack. It's called fantasy booking.

can never have to many masked wrestlers. Maybe Hangman can get fired and come back as Red River Jack

39 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

If I buy that AEW game, definitely making it happen. I'll have a whole roster based on Marty Robbins songs.

make sure someone's valet is named Rosa 

• Like 2