DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

32 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

The more and more stuff keeps coming out (Parekh, CD going to Punk's locker room with the Young Bucks/the door not being "kicked down") the more I want to side with the Elite here. It is kind of ironic that Punk's all "HEY COME TALK TO ME" and then people do confront him and he get's all red assed. That's what it seems like to me. Like he thought nobody would actually take him up on his offer and when some people did - he probably didn't even know how to handle it.

The only thing I can say in Punk's defense here is that it was probably going on 1am when his interview was done and he'd gone straight to the conference from his match. He was still covered in blood and probably needed to be looked over by a trainer or at least gotten a shower. I doubt he was expecting people to come at him at all, and probably not right then and there by guys who had been done with their matches several hours before. It's easy to sit here and say it's unprofessional to go accost a guy in those circumstances, especially if you are (on paper at least) in a higher ranking position, but I don't know what all else has been building up behind the scenes so I can't blame Omega and company being heated immediately after seeing the interview.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That Wade Keller tidbit is rather bizarre to me. Because it seems to suggest that Tony Khan almost wanted to manufacture his own version of Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart here?

Fightful did put in an earlier report that media who thought about missing the scrum were told beforehand that they really should see it. Like maybe they weren't expecting a melee to break out, but someone knew that Punk was going to go on a tirade last Sunday night.

Also, an executive telling people in the media to go to his company's press conference after an event they are attending isn't surprising at all. Whole point of the press conference is to get the press to go, no matter if you're planning an overly complicated work-shoot that could really well backfire on you or if you're champion goes on an unhinged rant about a guy he was ensnared in litigation with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Also, an executive telling people in the media to go to his company's press conference after an event they are attending isn't surprising at all. Whole point of the press conference is to get the press to go, no matter if you're planning an overly complicated work-shoot that could really well backfire on you or if you're champion goes on an unhinged rant about a guy he was ensnared in litigation with.

The fact that Fightful reported on it in that way makes it suspicious and a point of interest. Also, Fightful never said who told who. People are assuming it was Tony Khan telling Meltzer and Alvarez.

Edited by TheVileOne

I re-listened to Punk's part in the scrum today and at one point while talking about the "million dollar house" he brought in he flat out says "I'm trying to run a company  here"  To my knowledge Punk isn't in charge of nor holds a backstage title with AEW. Maybe I'm reading too much into it especially since Tony wouldn't need any Phil money he has plenty of cash. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I like me to think of TK as a Nathan Fielder type that is manufacturing awkward backstage moments to recreate his favorite wrestling memories.

What if this is just some Keyser Söze level mastermind shit?

Now THAT would win you Booker of the Year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I re-listened to Punk's part in the scrum today and at one point while talking about the "million dollar house" he brought in he flat out says "I'm trying to run a company  here"  To my knowledge Punk isn't in charge of nor holds a backstage title with AEW. Maybe I'm reading too much into it especially since Tony wouldn't need any Phil money he has plenty of cash. 

He said "business," rather than "company." A generous reading of that would be that the business is the brand of CM Punk. But when he's big-dicking the boss left and right while sitting next to him, I understand why people are taking that line the way they are.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The fact that Fightful reported on it in that way makes it suspicious and a point of interest. Also, Fightful never said who told who. People are assuming it was Tony Khan telling Meltzer and Alvarez.

Meltzer said he and Alvarez were planning to skip the presser because it was past 1 am and the previous post-show press conference drug on for over an hour and wasn’t very interesting.  Apparently, other people were planning to skip out on it for the same reason.  My take is that TK probably didn’t want the room to be half empty and missing some of the people (Meltzer) that would be noticed if they absent.

• Like 1

BTW Matt McCarthy said Colt is doing fine with money and could probably buy his mom a house.  In case anyone was worried.  ?

My guess is Colt shares an account with his mom to help her out, but it’s nobody’s business and Punk is a dick.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

He hasn't kissed any announcers yet either.

Yet.

(Not a suggestion, Hangman. If anyone's kissing an announcer, it's clearly going to be William Regal kissing Excalibur.)

Tony Sha-von-to is right there waiting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

BTW Matt McCarthy said Colt is doing fine with money and could probably buy his mom a house.  In case anyone was worried.  ?

My guess is Colt shares and account with his mom to help her out, but it’s nobody’s business and Punk is a dick.

Frankly, Colt Cabana comes out of this looking good, and Punk is looking more and more like a paranoid a-hole for doxxing him and his family like that. What happened between the two falling out that way was very sad from my point of view. It definitely sounds like Cabana handled that whole thing badly by trying to sue Punk for legal fees. But for the past several years, Colt Cabana has kept his mouth shut and hasn't said crap about CM Punk. Meanwhile, as evidenced by Sunday night, Punk clearly hadn't let any of this go and was still dealing with a lot of unresolved trauma with the falling out of that relationship.

Once again, they should've addressed all this directly and figured out how to deal with it a year ago. 

Also, for the Elite, what's more important? Running your company or making sure Colt Cabana has a job? I'm sorry if that sounds cruel, but AEW is bigger than just Colt Cabana. And making this about a guy who WAS NOT EVEN FIRED is kind of stupid. Like your boy wasn't fired, he's still getting a paycheck from Tony Khan. What more do you need here? 

Running a company means making big adult decisions, and that sometimes means firing people and letting people go, even if it's people you like and you want it to be a place for them to thrive and make money and live comfortably.

• Like 2

The Bucks credit Colt with essentially writing the blueprint for making a living wage on the indies.  Without Colt, maybe the Bucks don’t make it this far and there’s probably no AEW.  They went to bat for him to get something instead of being released.  

The narrative is out there that Punk got Colt fired and the Bucks saved him.  Punk thinks the Bucks leaked that story even though 1) Meltzer and Alvarez never mentioned it and say the Bucks never told them that story and 2) of course nobody had to leak it because anybody with functioning brain cells can consider “touchy main event jerk joins company and suddenly his lower card former friend whom he now loathes is fired” and put two and two together.

You ask me, the guy pulled a power play, got outmaneuvered, and is mad about it.

• Like 15

Something else I was thinking about. Only a fraction of the fans watched the ppv. If this is the end of punk, the last thing most people will have seen of him is that 3 minute beat down in Cleveland. What a way to go out. From the debut at United center to that. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

He said "business," rather than "company." A generous reading of that would be that the business is the brand of CM Punk. But when he's big-dicking the boss left and right while sitting next to him, I understand why people are taking that line the way they are.

I think I read it as he meant "doing business"

I was wondering just how active Colt had been in AEW leading up to Punk's arrival. From January 2021 until Punk made his return in September, Colt had 26 matches in AEW. With the exception of being in the battle royale at Double or Nothing 2021 and one match on Dynamite in January, all of them were on Dark and most were six+ man matches. Teaming with the Bucks at the Brodie Tribute show in December of 2020 was the last somewhat high profile match he had. I find it hard to believe he was going to have his contract renewed anyways or at least be used in a non-jobber role regardless of Punk coming back or not. Maybe he was doing some work backstage like some of the other guys who are mainly on Dark? Honestly, going to ROH (providing it actually becomes a thing) is the best use for him.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Something else I was thinking about. Only a fraction of the fans watched the ppv. If this is the end of punk, the last thing most people will have seen of him is that 3 minute beat down in Cleveland. What a way to go out. From the debut at United center to that. 

The last thing they saw would have been the promo in the crowd with someone who now regrets naming their baby after him.

• Haha 11

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I think I read it as he meant "doing business"

Funny how he was doing business and teaching these young geeks how to be professional while being as unprofessional as you could be.

It’s like when I yell at my kid WHY ARE YOU YELLING?  Except I have the self awareness to realize how dumb I’m being.

• Like 2