DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

No he wasn’t. He downplays that and says he just hung out there at the camp sometimes. Valiant, of course, loves to take credit.

That would explain the disturbing lack of wide legged prancing into elbow drops in his offensive repertoire

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Hangman's role in all of this. I'm not acting like I have inside info but IF Hangman went into business for himself with his promo and IF someone on the elite side of things was talking about punk to the sheetz and IF Hangman knew then he doesn't have clean hands either.

Plus Tony K should have stomped all this out a while back

That's on Tony Khan for not addressing it properly and sitting there doing utterly nothing except nodding along with CM Punk last Sunday.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That's on Tony Khan for not addressing it properly and sitting there doing utterly nothing except nodding along with CM Punk last Sunday.

My assumption is TK knew Punks position and didn't necessarily disagree with it. You can see during the presser when TK is nodding along. The Elite don't get a specialty titles designed to keep them out of the world title and tag title picture without being royal pains. I'm sure TK did not expect Punk to go off the deep end. 

I know Cody got talked about all of the time. Out of curiosity, have any AEW wrestlers cited the Bucks/Omega as mentors?

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
24 minutes ago, elizium said:

That would explain the disturbing lack of wide legged prancing into elbow drops in his offensive repertoire

He hasn't kissed any announcers yet either.

Yet.

(Not a suggestion, Hangman. If anyone's kissing an announcer, it's clearly going to be William Regal kissing Excalibur.)

3 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

My assumption is TK knew Punks position and didn't necessarily disagree with it. You can see during the presser when TK is nodding along. The Elite don't get a specialty titles designed to keep them out of the world title and tag title picture without being royal pains. I'm sure TK did not expect Punk to go off the deep end. 

I know Cody got talked about all of the time. Out of curiosity, have any AEW wrestlers cited the Bucks/Omega as mentors?

Tony Khan couldn't have handled that worse. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Keller mentioned on Tuesday that Khan was told before the presser what Punk was going to say, which I'm assuming meant addressing the Cabana stuff.

I don't completely trust Keller, but I don't really trust Tony Khan right now either. I think Khan is massively at fault and needs to take some responsibility for this whole ordeal. He's an ineffectual manager, leader, and boss.

That media scrum after a PPV where Punk regained the title and MJF returned to challenge him for the title was not the time or place to bring up Colt Cabana unprovoked.

• Like 1

It's a gross overstatement to keep saying TK just sat there nodding along, but Jeffrey is always one for being dumb and dramatic. I'm sure @Elsalvajelocomisses his shtick in the MMA folder...

TK was in various states of shock and looking like he didn't even know what to do considering how fast the train went off the rails. He tried multiple times in kindly trying to steer away from the rant and it just kept on going. So what is he supposed to do then? Tell Punk to shut the fuck up and get the fuck out right in front of everyone? Dude sat there looking like he wished it would end quickly, not nodding along in approval of what Punk was saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's a gross overstatement to keep saying TK just sat there nodding along, but Jeffrey is always one for being dumb and dramatic. I'm sure @Elsalvajelocomisses his shtick in the MMA folder...

TK was in various states of shock and looking like he didn't even know what to do considering how fast the train went off the rails. He tried multiple times in kindly trying to steer away from the rant and it just kept on going. So what is he supposed to do then? Tell Punk to shut the fuck up and get the fuck out right in front of everyone? Dude sat there looking like he wished it would end quickly, not nodding along in approval of what Punk was saying.

Maybe not childishly rant about being treated badly by WWE and having to be the third wrestling show that weekend, like he's never taken shots at WWE before.

Not to pretend to be a body language expert or anything, but Khan nodding along could have just been him nervously processing. Him laughing when Punk brings up Mindy's could just be him nervously hoping that deflates the tension in the room. None of it was a good look on Khan, but nothing there is necessarily revealing his feelings about anything beyond a desire for this guy to just calm down.

Re: Keller, am I misremembering or was he slightly ahead of some other outlets on what was going on with Cody? I wouldn't completely trust him either, but maybe he's talking to some people the other big journos aren't. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
words
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I just want to point out that another outlet that was ahead of a lot of others this past week was actually Brian Last's Wrestling News (I think that's what it's called). Which is wild to me, since I thought he was just Cornette's stooge. But apparently FTR might be one of their sources?

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Is Last having a seemingly legit news arm of his operation a new development or something?

I’ve never heard about it until this week. A lot of people on Reddit were in the same boat until it was pointed out that it’s ran by Brian Last.

Speaking or Cornette - TK’s Rampage tweet that was just posted is very odd and mentions Cornette’s podcasts for some reason.

The more and more stuff keeps coming out (Parekh, CD going to Punk's locker room with the Young Bucks/the door not being "kicked down") the more I want to side with the Elite here. It is kind of ironic that Punk's all "HEY COME TALK TO ME" and then people do confront him and he get's all red assed. That's what it seems like to me. Like he thought nobody would actually take him up on his offer and when some people did - he probably didn't even know how to handle it. Let's be honest, CM Punk is a very big name in the scope of pro wrestling, but the guy tries to act like he's Hulk Hogan. "That doesn't work for me brother" towards a potential Hangman Page loss is a little ridiculous in the year 2022. I wonder who carries that type of gravitas in WWE; probably only Brock Lesnar and even then I bet he's a guy who's down to do business. 

• Like 3

I giggled when Meltzer this morning was saying how TK should have just ended the scrum and been like "no further questions" (to get Punk to stop) before pausing and then going "... well Punk wasn't really taking questions so I dont know if that would have helped"

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

The more and more stuff keeps coming out (Parekh, CD going to Punk's locker room with the Young Bucks/the door not being "kicked down") the more I want to side with the Elite here. It is kind of ironic that Punk's all "HEY COME TALK TO ME" and then people do confront him and he get's all red assed. That's what it seems like to me. Like he thought nobody would actually take him up on his offer and when some people did - he probably didn't even know how to handle it. Let's be honest, CM Punk is a very big name in the scope of pro wrestling, but the guy tries to act like he's Hulk Hogan. "That doesn't work for me brother" towards a potential Hangman Page loss is a little ridiculous in the year 2022. I wonder who carries that type of gravitas in WWE; probably only Brock Lesnar and even then I bet he's a guy who's down to do business. 

Brock would just go home. 

• Like 1

That Wade Keller tidbit is rather bizarre to me. Because it seems to suggest that Tony Khan almost wanted to manufacture his own version of Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart here?

Fightful did put in an earlier report that media who thought about missing the scrum were told beforehand that they really should see it. Like maybe they weren't expecting a melee to break out, but someone knew that Punk was going to go on a tirade last Sunday night.

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Fightful did put in an earlier report that media who thought about missing the scrum were told beforehand that they really should see it. Like maybe they weren't expecting a melee to break out, but someone knew that Punk was going to go on a tirade last Sunday night.

I think a lot of this has come from Meltzer and Alvarez saying that they weren't originally going to go and TK specifically asked them if they were going on Saturday when they interviewed him

Dave said they decided to go just to say hello to people and then Alvarez said on, I think Monday's show, about how the reason they stayed was because AEW had completely changed the format of the scrum since the last PPV (since I guess last time was a marathon and no one wanted to deal with that).

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I think a lot of this has come from Meltzer and Alvarez saying that they weren't originally going to go and TK specifically asked them if they were going on Saturday when they interviewed him

Dave said they decided to go just to say hello to people and then Alvarez said on, I think Monday's show, about how the reason they stayed was because AEW had completely changed the format of the scrum since the last PPV (since I guess last time was a marathon and no one wanted to deal with that).

Yeah, CM Punk going on a completely unhinged rant is not the scrum's usual format. And once again, Wade Keller is the one who said Tony Khan was told what Punk was going to say. 

12 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Let’s be honest, CM Punk is a very big name in the scope of pro wrestling, but the guy tries to act like he's Hulk Hogan. "That doesn't work for me brother" towards a potential Hangman Page loss is a little ridiculous in the year 2022. 

I don’t think it can be overstated how emboldened he must’ve been by the tv negotiations. 

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I’m starting to suspect that at least some of the parties inside the locker room thought they’d talk some shit and get pulled apart and then eventually they’d be able to do business with Punk, but then Punk and Steel freaked out. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Roman and Owens vetoed Priest getting involved in their feud a couples of years back as they thought it made no sense. That is the last time I can recall such a thing making it out aside from Brock fucking off of Smackdown after Vince was announced as fully gone only to appear.