DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

I mean imagine any other job in the world where shit like this happens.  The people involved are told they have a zoom meeting with the owner to discuss things. Who in the hell would have the thought of "lets go tell Dave Meltzer"   It's not Punk since his whole beef was how the journalists had their stories wrong. It's not Ace Steele.  Just so unprofessional on AEW's part.  Also to the guy who kept telling us we were being worked,  still think it's a work??

Inside shit constantly gets leaked in politics and sports.

One thing I wonder is did someone false spread rumors to the sheetz that Punk got Cabana removed from AEW?

I don't know exactly what went down between those two, but I do find it tragic that Punks wwe run lead to the end of a long term friendship. Now I certainly think Punk is a piece of work but If some way trying to smear him behind his back I feel he has a legit gripe.

Also I feel that Tony Khan likes seeing his name in print a bit too much and that why we have these dumb pressers. IF hes opposed to wrestling authority figures whys he putting himself all over the place. (Not on screen but in a HEY LOOK AT ME IM RUNNING THINGS WAY)

Also I feel like tonight we saw who the real professionals where (although I feel that Hangman's promo on Cabana was a bit of a cheap shot in hindsight)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Inside shit constantly gets leaked in politics and sports.

One thing I wonder is did someone false spread rumors to the sheetz that Punk got Cabana removed from AEW?

I don't know exactly what went down between those two, but I do find it tragic that Punks wwe run lead to the end of a long term friendship. Now I certainly think Punk is a piece of work but If some way trying to smear him behind his back I feel he has a legit gripe.

Also I feel that Tony Khan likes seeing his name in print a bit too much and that why we have these dumb pressers. IF hes opposed to wrestling authority figures whys he putting himself all over the place. (Not on screen but in a HEY LOOK AT ME IM RUNNING THINGS WAY)

Also I feel like tonight we saw who the real professionals where (although I feel that Hangman's promo on Cabana was a bit of a cheap shot in hindsight)

I imagine a lot of options are being discussed and heated discussions are taking place. But you know all this just happened, and you have be having crisis managers trying to work through this. I think what tonight shows is that nothing is set in stone yet, or legal proceedings might be taking place soon.

It still disgusts me that Tony Khan was just sitting there next to CM Punk the whole and he was nodding along with him when he was trashing the EVPs. 

I don't know if Khan believes this, but when Tony Khan was nodding along with Punk, it clearly tells me he agrees or believes a lot of what Punk is saying.

Also Hangman did nothing wrong. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Tony Khan is just here to play, to smash his favorite wrestling figures together on television, except the wrestling figures are humans with distinct personalities and not collectibles that he can show off at his post-PPV scrums. Those scrums boil down to a clueless rich guy sitting next to a wrestler and going LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Is MJF/Kingston too “New York” to be the top feud in a national promotion? Because this works for me as the mid-20’s sleeveless vest-wearing hedge fund Lower East Side kid fights Corona Queens lifer outside some grimey club in Meatpacking at 4am

I approve this post, since I strangely have lived in all three areas (2nd Ave & 2nd St, around the corner from The Lemon Ice King of Corona, Jane St). I'll be the weirdo cheering both guys...

• Like 2

Both Kingston and MJF are great at coming across real, they would make this a great memorable feud. 

The situation itself is crazy and I heard very different versions of how it went down. 

I'm honestly thinking there is no way in hell two or three guys confronting one guy in his lockerroom after a press conference like that just to talk.

Everything else I find impossible to comment on regarding the brawl itself, some versions make it seem like this is all Punk's fault, some make it seem like a very worrying event, seemingly a set up with higher ups involved. 

One major fallout should be ending the EVP experiment. That was stupid from the get go, no matter who would have been chosen for those roles. 

I think Punk should (and would) have put MJF over. Just like with Cody, it's really sad for AEW that a programme won't get finished, only this time with even more drama surrounding it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Tony Khan is just here to play, to smash his favorite wrestling figures together on television, except the wrestling figures are humans with distinct personalities and not collectibles that he can show off at his post-PPV scrums. Those scrums boil down to a clueless rich guy sitting next to a wrestler and going LOOK WHAT I BOUGHT.

Realistically, there is something in this. I suspect Tony knows this to some extent, and there will be some self-reflection - I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have a therapist, or some sort of performance coaching going on anyway.

9 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

One major fallout should be ending the EVP experiment. That was stupid from the get go, no matter who would have been chosen for those roles.  

Ultimate AEW carries the name that Omega/Bucks invented, and was clearly borne from Cody's All-In show. Ultimate they are Founders and it will always be so. Trying to Kroc that will be a crock. Khan knows that.

Ultimately there is stuff with AEW Games that Omega is really deep into, the merch stuff is somewhat overseen by Matt (along with his wife) as I understand it. These are not things to be undone easily. The latter thing in particular.

Ultimately there is a legal investigation going on, and noone is getting titles removed without evidence. Omega could be on the card at Wrestlemania next year. As for the Bucks, it is two more years but who knows exactly what is in those contracts? My understanding is that the $2 million pa each they get is for combined wrestler and EVP roles. Yeah I don't think Khan will want to unpick that. And no way in hell Khan wants all of the Elite in WWE.

Clearly one thing that won't happen is that Punk will not be getting any more titles. Ultimately I am beginning to think that a few months down the line, cooler heads will prevail. I don't think Punk will wrestle Hangman, he probably won't wrestle Omega...but there are probably guys he would do business with and yeah we'll see. I don't think he can mentally handle a heel turn based on all this stuff though.

8 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

I would think the problem is not whether there are people he could work with down the line, more that the company absolutely can not let him or Ace Steel get off unpunished, but if they do punish them Punk will never forgive them or work with them again

I think you hit the nail on the head. Punk is so stubborn that if Ace is punished or fired he would walk.  If Punk himself is punished he would likely walk too. Do you want someone like that in your company?  On the flip side, Tony wouldn't have stripped the Elite of the titles unless there was a damn good reason. The reason wasn't to appease Phil Brooks.  They had a weeks long tournament for those belts and after all of the hooplah they awarded them to the winners of 1 match last night. Not a good way to start but I'm not sure how it could have been better handled. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I agree with most of Dave there, but that was basically a political party broadcast for The Elite.

Punk's alleged 'I thought there was going to be a punch thrown, so I threw the first punch' line feels like a pretty lawyered statement.

Edited by SprintingFromAmerica
typo
  • Like 1

Punk is such a poser.  Nothing says "punk ethos" like burying your coworkers while sitting next to a billionaire, starting shit based on third hand incorrect information, and then using a cop defense when shit goes down ("I punched him because I thought he'd punch me" is just like "I shot that unarmed guy because I felt my life was in danger").  Pay him and let him sit at home.

Also, Illinois has no "stand your ground" law, so that defense probably doesn't work.  I'm not a lawyer but I did work in IT for a law firm like 20 years ago ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Punk is such a poser.  Nothing says "punk ethos" like burying your coworkers while sitting next to a billionaire, starting shit based on third hand incorrect information, and then using a cop defense when shit goes down ("I punched him because I thought he'd punch me" is just like "I shot that unarmed guy because I felt my life was in danger").  Pay him and let him sit at home.

Also, Illinois has no "stand your ground" law, so that defense probably doesn't work.  I'm not a lawyer but I did work in IT for a law firm like 20 years ago ?

I had started writing a long post about my experiences in punk/hardcore and how there are 2 kinds of straight-edge people, personified by Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. One just lives his life the way he chooses, tries to bring others along, and yeah they can be smug about it but they're not going to be in your face about their beliefs. The other has made it their personality, and goes around looking to start shit, knock drinks out of people's hands at shows while his buddies are at his side. The only difference in this case is that CM Punk didn't have a crew.

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I had started writing a long post about my experiences in punk/hardcore and how there are 2 kinds of straight-edge people, personified by Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. One just lives his life the way he chooses, tries to bring others along, and yeah they can be smug about it but they're not going to be in your face about their beliefs. The other has made it their personality, and goes around looking to start shit, knock drinks out of people's hands at shows while his buddies are at his side. The only difference in this case is that CM Punk didn't have a crew.

And hilariously so Punk is also in his 40s and well past an age where he should be talking about being straightedge and just more cozy up with a soda and tell people he doesn't drink. That's what I do. 

What a fucking lame human being. It was really funny and awesome when he was doing the evil sXe guy and slipping in Youth of Today references in promos since it felt like it was made for the kids in high school both into punk and wrestling, or as I like to call them, "me." But real life Punk just feels like the lamest possible dude - the old guy going to basement shows and lecturing 25-year-olds about how they lack ethics and respect. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The other thing with Punk - he made his money while working for the machine he raged against. 

Colt made his money by building up his own little niche after he got let go. He wrote a template for how to make a living in pro wrestling doing things your own unique way. I'm not a huge fan of the work of the Bucks or Omega but they also made a living by doing things without the confines of the traditional machine. Even Cody Rhodes found a way to go from lame mid-card act to what he became by stepping outside the confines of the machine his family helped build. 

Punk just said a bunch of things on TV that were approved by his boss and was jealous of The Miz. And then piggie-backed off the work everyone else did a year later. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Where was Jim Ross last night? I figured they would have him call the main event or hour 2 but he wasn't there. 

They had him call the Rampage taping so he was there

Per Meltzer - it was just "a decision" to not use him during last night's show

• Like 3

I’m glad I listened to that new F4 clip. Dave rambles and he said one thing in particular that confounded me, but he made some good points. He talked about how practiced Punk sounded at the scrum, and it made me feel sorry for the people Punk’s friends with because he probably cuts long promos on them that’s really rumination over minor slights.  Sounds exhausting.

Dave’s point about talent being wary of certain criticisms because of how far they’ve come dismissing them was apt too. It honestly makes all the sense in the world that Jericho is the vet who gets it because he may not be the GOAT but he’s professional wrestling’s true iconoclast.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I really want to know how we decide what to carry over from generation to generation. This is one of those stories that I feel wouldn't have happened in previous generations. Mickey Mantle hated Joe DiMaggio's guts, but they kept it between themselves. I feel like this is one of those things that we should have kept going. I feel like my grandfather would have disowned me if I got in front of a microphone and did something like that. My grandfather is on the all time short list for dudes who are ready to fight,  but there is no way on earth he's respect this type of passive aggressive bullshit.  My grandfather once threatened the pastor's life in the church for not appreciating the tone he took with my grandmother. I'm pretty sure no one outside of the immediate family ever heard that story. If you have a problem with someone,  address the problem with that person. Otherwise,  let it go. 

• Like 4