DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

It is virtually impossible to keep track of what has been brought up in this thread (and the other ones) so this may or may not come up already (I mean 3 new posts hit just when I was trying to post this)

Per Brian Last (and seemingly confirmed by Meltzer) - one of the neutral parties who saw the brawl was Megha Parekh (head of legal for the Jaguars, AEW and the Khan family)

So apparently Megha's witnessing everything is why it's, reportedly, everyone is "suspended" (aka go home until the investigation is done)

That is standard operating procedure for pretty much the rest of the corporate world but as we have seen, no one thinks wrestling operates in that world

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is virtually impossible to keep track of what has been brought up in this thread (and the other ones) so this may or may not come up already (I mean 3 new posts hit just when I was trying to post this)

Per Brian Last (and seemingly confirmed by Meltzer) - one of the neutral parties who saw the brawl was Megha Parekh (head of legal for the Jaguars, AEW and the Khan family)

So apparently Megha's witnessing everything is why it's, reportedly, everyone is "suspended" (aka go home until the investigation is done)

That is standard operating procedure for pretty much the rest of the corporate world but as we have seen, no one thinks wrestling operates in that world

"Oh no, Ms. Parekh, that was all just part of the show!"

"But that man BIT one of the other men! I saw it."

"They are SO good at making it look real, aren't they? Ha ha, let's just go over here away from the...oh, mind the flying chair! Oh, these guys!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

16 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I definitely think there’s a straightforward path to ensuring CM Punk is the public heel in this. Just have MJF come out tonight, say that Tony can’t say shit about this because he’s in an active (kayfabe) lawsuit with Punk….but MJF isn’t.

Max then basks in his Bobby Heenan BATB 96 glory of how he was 100% right about Punk from the jump, ending in more professional version of “so fuck that dude, and you’re never going to see him again.” The fans would buy it, and cheer, and that’s that. 

I don’t think you get “CM Punk” chants at every arena or burn Chicago after doing that. 

MJF ending up a huge face after the way he fucked over Wardlow would be some shit, for sure.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Nobody would want to work with that guy ever again. How the f could you trust that guy at all? 

I said this way back at the very beginning of the conversation in the All Out thread like less than an hour after the scrum. If it were the '80s or '90s, Punk would be in PR with Eddie Gilbert or landscaping with Eddie Mansfield. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

MJF ending up a huge face after the way he fucked over Wardlow would be some shit, for sure.

Just for a hot second. He’d do some dastardly shit to, say, Eddie Kingston shortly afterward to remind everyone that he’s still a snake. Hell maybe even later in the same show. But give the dude his 15 minutes of glory first.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meanwhile JR is just redass angry and incredulous that this is being handled by a woman in the legal department instead of having the boys figure this out kumite style like The By Gawd Cowboy would have done.

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

40 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

At the risk of naively sounding like a "wrestling was tougher back in my day" kind of guy, outside of AEW, have there been any other historically important suspensions in wrestling for fighting backstage that didn't involve, like, stabbing someone with a pair of scissors? I feel like there's been a litany of backstage fights in pro wrestling and I am not entirely sure how many of those, if any, resulted in people being suspended. I feel like it was almost always drugs or missed shows.

Guys didn't get suspended. They were probably just not booked or shipped off to another territory. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I said this way back at the very beginning of the conversation in the All Out thread like less than an hour after the scrum. If it were the '80s or '90s, Punk would be in PR with Eddie Gilbert or landscaping with Eddie Mansfield. 

Eh, I mean what would be the likelihood of Eddie (Gilbert) being a star elsewhere? I think Eddie's thing was he was too rasslin' and too small to be a star in the business, but a booking genius and a friend/mentor for a lot of the guys. He also just happen to have a penchant for burning bridges or just flat out leaving people high and dry. Ain't no way in the hell Punk would be working for 100 dollars a week in Global or some sweaty gym in Puerto Rico or in USWA. He didn't wrestle in that weird era where it's the remnants of the former territories but also indyriffic as shit. He made the natural progression of going from the indies to the big time.

Punk in basically high level 1994 Shane Douglas on a much bigger platform.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If it was the 80s, the promoter would side with the bigger star,unless they were also the booker. Here, you've got the biggest star vs "the office" but not the booker. I guess it'd be like Grizzly getting into a locker room fight with JYD. Who would Watts have sided with?

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I have no idea who those people are.

Edited by DEAN
Fixed that for you. UPDATE WILL FIX EVERYTHING!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If it was the 80s, the promoter would side with the bigger star,unless they were also the booker. Here, you've got the biggest star vs "the office" but not the booker. I guess it'd be like Grizzly getting into a locker room fight with JYD. Who would Watts have sided with?

Wasn't Watts whole thing though to settle it there by fighting and leave it there? I mean JR talks all the time about how Butch Reed and someone got into a fight at a matinee show, drove across a couple states, and then worked later that night with black eyes, cuts, and whatnot.

Just like a lot of things, Watts might not be a good example to follow on this.

• Like 1

Other potential parallels

JJ vs Flair in 1985

Pat vs Hogan in 1985

It's hard to find guys who were "office" and not the booker and also aren't related which would skew the analogy. So, you leave out the Von Erichs, Jarrett, Graham and the Fullers. 

I think the Mid South fight was either Butch and Neidhart or Butch and Darsow.  Edit: John Nord. 

There are at least 3 YT clips discussing it: Butch, Nord, Eric Watts.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

Feel like this sums up the reporting on this since this happened. 

Tbf TK has gotten a lot of shit over this but he’s kept the details under wrap pretty tight. 

-Nick Jackson got knocked out by a flying chair. 
-Ace Steel bit Kenny Omega’s hair. 

-People involved may be suspended or fired. 
-Punk wants to settle this in wrestler’s court. 

Ok I made the last one up ? 

Kind of like I think reporters are just making up/guessing on the suspensions/firings based on “a melee”..

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Punk wants to settle this in wrestler’s court. 

Ok I made the last one up ? 

I’m all for this, if it’s Undertaker running things.  Feels like UT would probably just have his crew beat some sense into Phil, then pull out their guns and pistol whip Phil’s….. Steam Deck into bits.

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

if you're MJF in the wrestling kayfabe universe, wouldn't you want to be a huge face so that Wardlow is slightly less likely to immediately come after you?

like maybe Wardlow will keep going after people sent by some mystery benefactor that turns out to be MJF trying to keep Wardlow busy

now the fuckery would come if Wardlow finally turns his sights to MJF and the fans treat Wardlow as the heel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

True, I was moreso just trying to think of who had the biggest likelihood of being over with/familiar to the Network people. God willing, they'll be ok with Mox, Danielson, Regal, Jericho, Sting, The Giant, Mark Henry, Taz, Arn, Jake, etc.

Matt Hardy, Christian pretty muc all the ex attitude era guys

• Like 1