DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

Just now, Technico Support said:

Lost in all this is the absolutely classist bullshit of "these guys couldn't manage a Target."  I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that managing a Target is more honest and difficult work than this jackoff has ever done in his life.  Thin skinned as he is, imagine Punk managing a Target and just losing his shit the first time some Karen demands to see him because her Circle Rewards aren't being applied properly to her purchase.  I hope the Michael Nakazawa trades in his black polo for a red one just to troll this jerk.

I somewhat jokingly made this point before. The general manager of a Target makes really good money. It's close to six figures in a lot of areas. The reason why is because it's friggin' hard. On top of customers, you also have to manage labor (and there's a lot of turnover, which means a lot of training) and inventory and all kinds of other things. Punk can seriously get friggin' bent. If any actor or anyone else in entertainment were to make this comment at a live press conference they'd be tossed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dog said:

Vince actually kind of liked Punk. HHH hated him.

And what better chance for HHH to prove he has one of the better qualities the old man still had in willing to put aside whatever personal feelings he has if it can make him and the company money? I couldn’t imagine a bigger blow to AEW’s momentum (which Punk in part helped with his debut in Chicago) than having Punk show up in the WWE after his last appearance in AEW was winning their World title.

• Like 1

Can you imagine if an actor at a press junket promoting a movie went out and trashed the directors and other co-stars while the producer just sat by aimlessly smiling? If that were to happen, the actor would be sent packing out of the industry immediately for really obvious reasons. Or if an actor slammed a former friend/colleague and spilled out one-sided details of their history of litigation without the person being there to offer a counter live? Especially if the person being discussed may have lost his spot in the movie because a bigger star wanted to throw his weight around?

Nobody would want to work with that guy ever again. How the f could you trust that guy at all? 

Wrestling fans are so weird in wanting things like this to end up on television. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I would assume that HHH being in charge instead of Vince makes Punk going back to WWE even less likely than when Vince was there. Punk has leverage in terms of his effect on AEW's business, but probably not as much as he needs. He can't say "well, I'll just go back." Triple H would hang up. The only question is how long would he laugh first. His only other real choices are Freddie Prinze Jr or going back to making shitty movies no one sees. 

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

Yeah, I would assume that HHH being in charge instead of Vince makes Punk going back to WWE even less likely than when Vince was there. Punk has leverage in terms of his effect on AEW's business, but probably not as much as he needs. He can't say "well, I'll just go back." Triple H would hang up. The only question is how long would he laugh first. His only other real choices are Freddie Prinze Jr or going back to making shitty movies no one sees. 

He could always become CYN Punk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Can you imagine if an actor at a press junket promoting a movie went out and trashed the directors and other co-stars while the producer just sat by aimlessly smiling? If that were to happen, the actor would be sent packing out of the industry immediately for really obvious reasons. Or if an actor slammed a former friend/colleague and spilled out one-sided details of their history of litigation without the person being there to offer a counter live? Especially if the person being discussed may have lost his spot in the movie because a bigger star wanted to throw his weight around?

While we're focused on this, the rest of America is wildly obsessed with Harry Styles/Chris Pine/Olivia Wilde.

I'm just saying

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I somewhat jokingly made this point before. The general manager of a Target makes really good money. It's close to six figures in a lot of areas. The reason why is because it's friggin' hard. On top of customers, you also have to manage labor (and there's a lot of turnover, which means a lot of training) and inventory and all kinds of other things. Punk can seriously get friggin' bent. If any actor or anyone else in entertainment were to make this comment at a live press conference they'd be tossed. 

Bear in mind that at one point Shane Douglas quit wrestling to go manage a Walmart because it paid better and had actual health insurance.

• Like 3

I posed this question in another thread, but it stands: Things are going better in WWE than they seemingly have in a long time. People seem happy and optimistic. Business is ticking up. As much as I like Punk, why would they risk the headache?

Triple H just had a major cardiac event last year, what are we even doing here? 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
i can't type
  • Like 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
19 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Punk literally couldn't manage a Target. He's only had like one actual job in his life, working as a lab tech, and he couldn't stand doing that (what a shock).

He's the typical miserable asshole that complains about everything unless it benefits him. What a surprise that this has turned out this way.

Seems a work to me.  They're gonna make it look more shooty though.

The MJF thing was clearly a work and they feed info they wanted to journalists.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yesterday, I baselessly and recklessly speculated that Punk may be struggling with a cluster B personality disorder, and the great @natechimed in (paraphrasing) "You are never supposed to diagnose from afar... However..." 

So, if that were indeed the case? Zero chance. Or damn close to zero, anyway.

I hope you know didn't mean offense, I was mostly saying that to cover myself in agreeing with you.  Something about Punk's eyes during the whole scrum was unsettling.    The whole thing where he said, "My friends are there to catch me ..." So you (Punk) make a note to put your friends behind you, as long as they know it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I posed this question in another question, but it stands: Things are going better in WWE than they seemingly have in a long time. People seem happy and optimistic. Business is ticking up. As much as I like Punk, why would they risk the headache?

Triple H just had a major cardiac event last year, what are we even doing here? 

Looking back at the Punk/Cabana podcast, it was fun because we dislike Vince's business practices and whatever, it was cool to get an inside look at how things go, and really fun to hear someone who'd been on the inside shit all over them, but really, would you ever hire someone who publicly blasted his former employer like that?  Odds are he's going to do it to you.  It's like dating a person who cheated on their last three partners.  Why do you think it won't happen to you?

So now we have Punk fired from WWE and shitting all over them, then he comes back to wrestling only to do the same thing in his new company.  Why would any company hire him after this?

Yes, I know the answer is money, but sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Wrestling fans are so weird in wanting things like this to end up on television. 

I don't really get it either.

If it's a work that you're trying to make people believe is really real, it's teaching the rest of your roster to behave like a shit in public so you can get a push for creating interest, while giving the industry the impression that you can't handle your roster.

If it's real and you turn it into a work, then what do we get then? A wrestling match. One that means both parties will be cooperative, which is the opposite of why people were interested in the first place. This doesn't end in Adam Page and CM Punk having a legit fight on TV. It ends in a Colt Cabana's contract on a pole match.

• Like 3

At the risk of naively sounding like a "wrestling was tougher back in my day" kind of guy, outside of AEW, have there been any other historically important suspensions in wrestling for fighting backstage that didn't involve, like, stabbing someone with a pair of scissors? I feel like there's been a litany of backstage fights in pro wrestling and I am not entirely sure how many of those, if any, resulted in people being suspended. I feel like it was almost always drugs or missed shows.

13 minutes ago, nate said:

I hope you know didn't mean offense, I was mostly saying that to cover myself in agreeing with you.  Something about Punk's eyes during the whole scrum was unsettling.    The whole thing where he said, "My friends are there to catch me ..." So you (Punk) make a note to put your friends behind you, as long as they know it.

Not an ounce taken!! I hope I didn't seem sarcastic in that last one, I really did appreciate the insight, I know tone can be a little weird through text at times

• Thanks 1

I definitely think there’s a straightforward path to ensuring CM Punk is the public heel in this. Just have MJF come out tonight, say that Tony can’t say shit about this because he’s in an active (kayfabe) lawsuit with Punk….but MJF isn’t.

Max then basks in his Bobby Heenan BATB 96 glory of how he was 100% right about Punk from the jump, ending in more professional version of “so fuck that dude, and you’re never going to see him again.” The fans would buy it, and cheer, and that’s that. 

I don’t think you get “CM Punk” chants at every arena or burn Chicago after doing that. 

• Like 1