DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/7/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Regal on his podcast has also frequently talked about his immense love of SKA music, the only genre that matters! Hoping he starts dropping some Madness references soon. Or Blackpool Combat Club tries to recruit Ruby Soho and he calls her Rudy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Regal on his podcast has also frequently talked about his immense love of SKA music, the only genre that matters! Hoping he starts dropping some Madness references soon. Or Blackpool Combat Club tries to recruit Ruby Soho and he calls her Rudy. 

Haven't you seen the tweets with photos of BCC doing the Madness pose backstage?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Not sure if this counts or not but here's my contribution to the Britpop discussion.

I haven't heard that song in 30 years.  I am very old.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Haven't you seen the tweets with photos of BCC doing the Madness pose backstage?

He IS an eccentric Englishman!

Can you imagine getting into a fight with a guy at a ska show? and all 17 of his bandmates jump in? maybe thats why regal is so tough!

• Like 6

Overall, this was a great reset show for AEW, and hopefully after Grand Slam, All Out 22 will be in the same landfill as the exploding barbed wire deathmatch.

I kinda wish they had let MJF run with his shameless pandering babyface character until his cash-in. He was doing great with that. Mox's promo was straight fire and pretty much anchored the retcon efforts single-handedly.

I feel a little bad for Best Friends who really could've used a signature accomplishment in AEW, but when you're looking to fill the role of "we need a good 6-man for no reason" on the card, it's tough to draw up a better group than Death Triangle.

I'd like to see Danielson get a run as champ, but while his professionalism is much more reliable than Punk, I'm not sure his physical health is. Seems risky, but he deserves it and MJF would get mega-heat taking him down.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I kinda wish they had let MJF run with his shameless pandering babyface character until his cash-in. He was doing great with that. Mox's promo was straight fire and pretty much anchored the retcon efforts single-handedly.

My greatest fear is that given the heated nature of the past Punk / MJF feud in AEW, this new scandal opens the door to the MJF "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO~!" promo that will last for the first hour of Dynamite because dude does not know when to shut the fuck up.  The MJF worked shoot shit talking has only just begun.  He is not a man that misses too many opportunities to gloat; kayfabe or otherwise.  Thank God for DVRs and the ability to fast-forward.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Khan will try to keep controversy to a minimum, but MJF cannot help himself when he has a mic.   We will have our when keeping it real goes wrong moment sooner than later.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

It's weird to think we lived long enough to see Taz go from attacking JR at the broadcast booth to literally becoming his broadcast partner. 

Actually, we didn't have to wait long at all. Let's turn to Page 186 of "King of New York":

Rebellion 2000 (UK-only PPV)

Sheffield Arena – Dec. 2

Jim Ross and Tazz announced this show together, not long after they smashed glass into each other's eyes.

• Haha 1

I know we’ve kinda moved past it, but Mick Foley would do a good job as an authority figure. Fans instinctively pop for him, he does a good job getting the performers & matches over without trying to get himself over, and I know he’d love to do it. 

I still think Danhausen is the move as an authority figure for ROH. Just trying to make enough $ to buy a blimp….

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I know we’ve kinda moved past it, but Mick Foley would do a good job as an authority figure. Fans instinctively pop for him, he does a good job getting the performers & matches over without trying to get himself over, and I know he’d love to do it. 

I have to respectfully disagree. During his tenure on Raw he missed a lot of cues and stumbled over a lot of words and really seemed to be struggling. I found it a bit difficult to watch.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

I have to respectfully disagree. During his tenure on Raw he missed a lot of cues and stumbled over a lot of words and really seemed to be struggling. I found it a bit difficult to watch.

I'd forgotten all about that second run. 

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I'd forgotten all about that second run. 

I wasn't actively watching at the time but a friend I worked with would religiously have Raw on in the office where we worked and I always thought Foley (with the long beard) looked like the most depressed mall Santa Clause standing in the ring next to Stephanie when they were doing that Co-GM deal. 

20 hours ago, supremebve said:

Umm...I think the difference is that they gave MJF a microphone to go out on the show and say what he said.  Punk, who has spent his entire career adding a bunch of "shoot" backstage shit into his promos, decided to act like a bitch about someone doing the exact same thing to him.  Honestly, every complaint he has is a complaint that multiple people could have about him.  Him accusing anyone else of behaving like a child while having a temper tantrum is absurd.  He is the exact person he's complaining about.  I believe that MJF was legitimately upset about his place in the company, his pay, and probably multiple other things, and they trusted him enough to let him go onto live television to speak about it.  He aired out his grievances without throwing anyone else under the bus.  That is not nearly the same as what Punk did.  Punk got personal with a bunch of people in a public forum that lead to a brawl.  The 26 year old was able to say everything he wanted to say in a way that could reflect poorly on himself, but no one else.  The 43 year old started a fight with 3 of the people who founded the damn company. 

"Without throwing anyone else under the bus"? Well, other than Tony Khan and 'ex-WWE guys,' then yeah. I'm sorry but even if MJF didn't call the ex-WWE guys out by names, he's just as bad as CM Punk is. I was glad that CM Punk (correctly) pointed out MJF's behavior during his press scrum.

Part of me wish Jon Moxley stood in front of MJF and ask him if he's not good enough to lace his boots during his promo Wednesday, but I think AEW having shoot comments during promos is getting old (and would seem like something CM Punk would do by dredging up past statements). And honestly part of me wanted to see MJF get laid out with a shoot headbutt or punch from Moxley because he would deserve it.

I still believe MJF told Tony Khan one thing before going out there to say something else and I believe what he said DOES reflect poorly on everyone at AEW. Not to the same extent as the All Out media scrum. MJF shouldn't be rewarded for doing something CM Punk did years ago by virtue of it being less bad than what CM Punk did.

So let MJF sit at home. If he wants out of AEW so badly, he can lawyer up to get out of his contract. I'm sure Tony Khan wouldn't have a problem with that and might actually let him leave. I don't want to see as part of his character his talking about not wanting to be in AEW and how whatever's going on in WWE would be better. Then he should go if he feels that way.

• Like 1

Dave Meltzer star ratings:

PAC, Rey Fenix & Penta vs Orange Cassidy, Trent Baretta & Chuck Taylor (AEW Trios Championships): ****.25

Bryan Danielson vs Hangman Adam Page: ****.5

Wheeler Yuta (c) vs Daniel Garcia (ROH Pure Championship): ****.25

---

I'd go:

PAC, Rey Fenix & Penta vs Orange Cassidy, Trent Baretta & Chuck Taylor (AEW Trios Championships): ****.25

Bryan Danielson vs Hangman Adam Page: ****.75

Wheeler Yuta (c) vs Daniel Garcia (ROH Pure Championship): ****.5

Edited by The Natural

Someone may have posted this in the Youtube thread or the general thread but I'm posting it here. This (the postmatch video package/promos by Garcia/Yuta) is just top notch stuff and probably even better than the match itself:

Edited by Matt D
Not embedding, ah well. Paul's got it.
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Someone may have posted this in the Youtube thread or the general thread but I'm posting it here. This (the postmatch video package/promos by Garcia/Yuta) is just top notch stuff and probably even better than the match itself:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1568018849013780480

I'll try, mate:

782ba18e2ff1bb49a36ade1ab90f2869.gif

• Like 9