DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/7/2022

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Put Ricky Steamboat on retainer to roll out two or three times a year to make announcements.

I can get with that.  He's not someone that would take away from the show and at the same time, he's not someone too boring that the crowd would "WHAT?" him when he's making his announcements.  Plus Russo isn't there, so we won't have to worry about someone potentially trying to make him into a heel authority figure (thankfully Steamboat left TNA before that was able to happen because it did seem like they were teasing him going heel).

Should've put the belt on Page just to spite Punk.

I really hope Punk doesn't come back, and I say that as a guy who was a big Punk fan until about, oh, four weeks ago. I'm glad he came back, the MJF feud was masterful, but he's overstayed his welcome at this point and the detriments far outweigh the benefits even if he could remain healthy, which he can't.

That said, I fully expect him to come back in May, talk shit on the Elite, win the title at Double or Nothing, get hurt, and go away for nine months again.

• Haha 1

Words can't describe how much I love how well they're leaning into Lee and Swerve being Shaq and Kobe. Like Gregg was saying, when the Acclaimed's music hit, I sat on the edge of my seat. And then that motherfucker Swerve had to come out and ruin it. Now THAT'S a fucking heel. If this were WCW in 97 you'd have people throwing shit at Swerve.

If the Acclaimed win at Grand Slam, it's going to blow the roof off that place and likely steal all of the thunder from the world title match.

• Like 6

Regal on his podcast has also frequently talked about his immense love of SKA music, the only genre that matters! Hoping he starts dropping some Madness references soon. Or Blackpool Combat Club tries to recruit Ruby Soho and he calls her Rudy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Regal on his podcast has also frequently talked about his immense love of SKA music, the only genre that matters! Hoping he starts dropping some Madness references soon. Or Blackpool Combat Club tries to recruit Ruby Soho and he calls her Rudy. 

Haven't you seen the tweets with photos of BCC doing the Madness pose backstage?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Not sure if this counts or not but here's my contribution to the Britpop discussion.

I haven't heard that song in 30 years.  I am very old.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Haven't you seen the tweets with photos of BCC doing the Madness pose backstage?

He IS an eccentric Englishman!

Can you imagine getting into a fight with a guy at a ska show? and all 17 of his bandmates jump in? maybe thats why regal is so tough!

• Like 6

Overall, this was a great reset show for AEW, and hopefully after Grand Slam, All Out 22 will be in the same landfill as the exploding barbed wire deathmatch.

I kinda wish they had let MJF run with his shameless pandering babyface character until his cash-in. He was doing great with that. Mox's promo was straight fire and pretty much anchored the retcon efforts single-handedly.

I feel a little bad for Best Friends who really could've used a signature accomplishment in AEW, but when you're looking to fill the role of "we need a good 6-man for no reason" on the card, it's tough to draw up a better group than Death Triangle.

I'd like to see Danielson get a run as champ, but while his professionalism is much more reliable than Punk, I'm not sure his physical health is. Seems risky, but he deserves it and MJF would get mega-heat taking him down.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I kinda wish they had let MJF run with his shameless pandering babyface character until his cash-in. He was doing great with that. Mox's promo was straight fire and pretty much anchored the retcon efforts single-handedly.

My greatest fear is that given the heated nature of the past Punk / MJF feud in AEW, this new scandal opens the door to the MJF "I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO~!" promo that will last for the first hour of Dynamite because dude does not know when to shut the fuck up.  The MJF worked shoot shit talking has only just begun.  He is not a man that misses too many opportunities to gloat; kayfabe or otherwise.  Thank God for DVRs and the ability to fast-forward.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Khan will try to keep controversy to a minimum, but MJF cannot help himself when he has a mic.   We will have our when keeping it real goes wrong moment sooner than later.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

It's weird to think we lived long enough to see Taz go from attacking JR at the broadcast booth to literally becoming his broadcast partner. 

Actually, we didn't have to wait long at all. Let's turn to Page 186 of "King of New York":

Rebellion 2000 (UK-only PPV)

Sheffield Arena – Dec. 2

Jim Ross and Tazz announced this show together, not long after they smashed glass into each other's eyes.

• Haha 1

I know we’ve kinda moved past it, but Mick Foley would do a good job as an authority figure. Fans instinctively pop for him, he does a good job getting the performers & matches over without trying to get himself over, and I know he’d love to do it. 

I still think Danhausen is the move as an authority figure for ROH. Just trying to make enough $ to buy a blimp….

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I know we’ve kinda moved past it, but Mick Foley would do a good job as an authority figure. Fans instinctively pop for him, he does a good job getting the performers & matches over without trying to get himself over, and I know he’d love to do it. 

I have to respectfully disagree. During his tenure on Raw he missed a lot of cues and stumbled over a lot of words and really seemed to be struggling. I found it a bit difficult to watch.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

I have to respectfully disagree. During his tenure on Raw he missed a lot of cues and stumbled over a lot of words and really seemed to be struggling. I found it a bit difficult to watch.

I'd forgotten all about that second run.