DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/7/2022

Dolfan in NYC

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  Watching again,  I didn't notice the "Danhausen Is Alushe" thing they did again.  PAC isn't evil enough to bring the heat over kicking a mini in the face.  Alex and Jose are also Alushes, which is weird/awesome.  Toni Storm does a SUWA dropkick!  In the first picture in picture, Penelope Ford looks fucking GREAT, and Toni Storm beheading herself to make Ford look like a destroyer had to be something Ford looked forward to when getting back in the ring.  Storm is the Sammi Zayne of the AEW Women's division in her ability to take an assbeating and make her opponent look like a total killer.  This match is twice as good on the INTERNATIONAL FEED!  Penelope Ford is awesome.  Toni Storm is AWESOME!   I love how Danielson always wrestles like the 1975 NWA champion- not a face or heel, just a guy who is going to beat your ass and win.  How did I miss the Rick Rude UNDULATIONS?!?  Regal being a 1988 raver makes sense.  Hangman leaning into the flying dropkick against the barrier was COMPLETELY manly.  I'm noticing that AEW without JR rambling is a better AEW.  I don't hate JR, it's just that the lacks the focus of TAZ and Excalibur.  Hangman leaning into the ass beating by Dragon is pretty awesome.  I love Hangman conveying that he has no idea what to do with this guy.  The INTERNATIONAL FEED is so great at enforcing the mangling of the arm by Dragon.  I love Hangman selling the pain after delivering each chop.  I notice that the difference between the finishing sequence of this and the main event is that Hangman doesn't have any submissions at his disposal.  But Barry Windham and Stan Hansen didn't have submissions either.   That finishing sequence WAS awesome though- it just had no trading of submissions, so this was more traditional US pro style, but with bigger moves.  Bryan Danielson is pretty good.  I remember seeing him live at the Super 8 against Low Ki in 2001 and KNOWING that wrestling would be different from that point on.  And it was.  Wheeler Yuta's jacket is preposterously amazing.  I love the blood/ink.  It is weird that Garcia beat the Alpha of the stable to get a shot at the low man in the stable.  I love that they do a new variation on the New Japan striking challenge with German Suplexes. The heat was kind of strange during that. I would say that's the signature spot of the match.  The sequence where they crush each others skulls on the ring ties to lead up to Superplex was the reason you watch this on the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  That was fucking awesome.  That finish is so fucking good.  So BattlARTS.  That fucking ruled.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Regal being a 1988 raver makes sense. 

For those scratching their melons:

I was having to explain to my wife about how ravers started as guys with floppy hair and baggy clothes dancing to grooving 80s britpop before turning into the techno scene and I am so old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I was having to explain to my wife about how ravers started as guys with floppy hair and baggy clothes dancing to grooving 80s britpop before turning into the techno scene and I am so old.

BRING ON THE ECSTACY!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I actually went to a "rave" in a small warehouse in Munich while visiting in late 1990 and this was the big smash of the night.

Regal's talk of "disco biscuits" took me back to getting drug safety talks from my then 60 year old teacher, Mr Landers, who would always warn us of the dangers of disco biscuits and red headed women.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

Taz has been killing it lately. He’s sort of turned into the Tony Romo of their commentary giving some really interesting insight into moves and execution and things like that. He’s always been good, but I feel like he’s hit another level lately. 

Agreed. His interaction with MJF this week was off-the-charts as well. To be absolutely honest, I really see no reason to deviate from Taz/Excalibur as your anchors, with Schiavone, Regal and Coleman on rotation - no issue with Jericho appearing either; I'm just saying when you're playing with that kind of line-up, you can really leave Ross on the bench for very, very special occasions.

It's easy to sleep on how good the commentary is these days.

• Like 6

I watched with friends last night so we spent most of the show talking and screwing around than actually paying attention too much. 

But when we heard The Acclaimed's music come on, we stopped immediately. We were GLUED waiting for Platinum Max's shtick. We all caught them hyping it up on Twitter, too. Then came Swerve cutting them off. And we collectively groaned for a second before we all thoroughly enjoyed how we got roped into being angry over wrestling. 

Such an awesome and simple segment. The Acclaimed are the hottest act in wrestling right now. They built up expectations that we were going to hear some fire as the kids call it. Then Swerve took it out from them and was dismissive. Then we had the crowd pop segment and Bowens announcing the upcoming rematch.  And it ends with a pissed off looking Swerve sulking away. The crowd reaction was unreal and I think the whole segment was 2 minutes -- so efficient and well-done.

I also loved the touch of Keith Lee not being there for the segment. In the post-match and press conference, Keith expressed respect to The Acclaimed. Swerve didn't. That's the type of detail that AEW does really well at times. 

Also not sure how they would get there since both teams are faces right now. But man I want to see FTR versus The Acclaimed so badly. Or FTR vs. Swerve/Lee. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Also not sure how they would get there since both teams are faces right now. But man I want to see FTR versus The Acclaimed so badly. Or FTR vs. Swerve/Lee. 

I love how we aren't even bringing up the only-barely-evitable Swerve vs. Lee singles match, which will definitely be a gimmick-filled and highspot-CZW-style affair if Swerve has any say in the matter. But that's a long ways out.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Regal's talk of "disco biscuits" took me back to getting drug safety talks from my then 60 year old teacher, Mr Landers, who would always warn us of the dangers of disco biscuits and red headed women.

Wikipedia groups James in with the Madchester scene!  LAID!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I love how we aren't even bringing up the only-barely-evitable Swerve vs. Lee singles match, which will definitely be a gimmick-filled and highspot-CZW-style affair if Swerve has any say in the matter. But that's a long ways out.

Do you think it's that long away? Path to it happening at Full Gear seems straight forward to me. They lose to The Acclaimed in NYC after some slight miscommunication or disagreement over tactics, Swerve fully commits to heeldom by attacking Lee, and they're off to the races. 

Wish we'd see Lee be a li'l meaner and go heel for a while tbh, but the above is the seemingly obvious path forward they've established and should be great too. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Do you think it's that long away? Path to it happening at Full Gear seems straight forward to me. They lose to The Acclaimed in NYC after some slight miscommunication or disagreement over tactics, Swerve fully commits to heeldom by attacking Lee, and they're off to the races. 

Wish we'd see Lee be a li'l meaner and go heel for a while tbh, but the above is the seemingly obvious path forward they've established and should be great too. 

I agree that a heel SioG with a mean monster Lee would be fun for a while.

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Love seeing this talk weave its way into the mix. I wanted to add the Primal Scream classic 'Loaded', but no dice on my DVDVR. What is going on with this site? Enough already! Ugh, here's a damn link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDK2svrGG_c

Edited by DEAN
Fixed that for you. UPDATE WILL FIX EVERYTHING!
  • Like 2

I actually watched Dynamite this morning because I went to a Mountain Goats show last night. Sadly nothing from the wrestling album was played but I still had a blast!

Onto Dynamite, I had no issues. That main event was something incredible

• Like 5

1 minute ago, porksweats said:

I actually watched Dynamite this morning because I went to a Mountain Goats show last night. Sadly nothing from the wrestling album was played but I still had a blast!

Onto Dynamite, I had no issues. That main event was something incredible

I saw them on the tour for the Beat the Champ album. Met Darnielle afterwards and I was wearing a Macho Man t-shirt. He complimented it and signed my copy of The Sunset Tree (my first MGs album I had heard).

• Like 2

Holy fuck, what a mixed bag.  Lots and lots of good pro wrestling but some genuinely head scratching booking.  I totally approve of putting the Pure title on Garcia and God bless Yuta for proudly bearing the heel's mantle that the crowd threw upon his shoulders, but how in the fuck do you not put the Trios belts on Best Friends in a do-over?  And then you book Page to work and lose to Danielson and therefor prevent the co-finalist team of Page / Silver / Reynolds from competing for the Trios belts in the do-over? 

Seriously?  Are we drawing plays in the dirt here?  Is getting it right that hard?

As cringe as MJF's promos are, he at least gives the appearance that he gives a shit so go ahead and put the title around his waist and see how he does.   If he starts to kill the ratings, let Danielson kick the crap out of him and take the title back to BCC.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Log said:

Taz has been killing it lately. He’s sort of turned into the Tony Romo of their commentary giving some really interesting insight into moves and execution and things like that. He’s always been good, but I feel like he’s hit another level lately. 

I was just thinking this the past couple weeks. Plus, I don't know if he's mellowed a lot with age or if now that his boy is a star and his faction has disbanded he's just dialling down the heelish hoodlum persona but I find his presence lately extremely welcoming. He does that Ventura "call it like I see it" tweener thing except, again, way more mellowed out than Jesse ever was. I almost got weepy eyed on Dark this week when he started sincerely complimenting Excalibur and telling him how much he appreciates him as a broadcast partner. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, DEAN said:

This is what I think of when I think of Madchester.

I was going to use that one but decided to go with Stone Roses and my Munich rave story (for which I was only very drunk, no disco biscuits, and danced all night as we had no where to stay anyway).

This is quintessential Madchester, in all the best/worst ways:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I was just thinking this the past couple weeks. Plus, I don't know if he's mellowed a lot with age or if now that his boy is a star and his faction has disbanded he's just dialling down the heelish hoodlum persona but I find his presence lately extremely welcoming. He does that Ventura "call it like I see it" tweener thing except, again, way more mellowed out than Jesse ever was. I almost got weepy eyed on Dark this week when he started sincerely complimenting Excalibur and telling him how much he appreciates him as a broadcast partner. 

I don't think chemistry can be overrated when it comes to a broadcast team. You had Gorilla and Heenan who would take shots at each other, but you could tell deep down they loved working together. I think Excalibur and Taz have that and Impact's team right now does too.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

God, what a mixed bag.  Lots and lots of good pro wrestling but some genuinely head scratching booking.  I totally approve of putting the Pure title on Garcia and God bless Yuta for wearing the heel's mantle that the crowd put on his shoulders, but how in the fuck do you not put the Trios belts on Best Friend in a do-over?  And then you book Page to work and lose to Danielson and therefor prevent the co-finalist team of Page / Silver / Reynolds from competing for the Trios belts in the do-over? 

Seriously?  Are we drawing plays in the dirt here?  Is getting it right that hard?

As cringe as MJF's promos are, he at least gives the appearance that he gives a shit so go ahead and put the title around his waist and see how he does.   If he starts to kill the ratings, let Danielson kick the crap out of him and take the title back to BCC.

The Dark Order are all kayfabed/shoot hurt barring Silver and Page.

Unless you brought Colt back as the third man of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

This reminds me of the story of Peter Steele ODing and telling the doctors he was on alcholol cocain and redheads 

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I also loved the touch of Keith Lee not being there for the segment. In the post-match and press conference, Keith expressed respect to The Acclaimed. Swerve didn't. That's the type of detail that AEW does really well at times. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2