DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/7/2022

Dolfan in NYC

TK's opening announcement was the best way they could have possibly addressed this. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of obnoxious chants from the audience. The in-ring stuff, especially Daneilson/Page and of course Yuta/Garcia was top notch. MJF's promo was incredible. I would like a bit more explanation of why MJF is aligned with Stokley but that will undoubtedly come. Moxley needs to come up short in the tournament and start a heel turn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jamal said:

Penelope and Toni were great just beating the Hell out of each other. I like how Toni went from her initial "I'm just happy to be here" to "I'm the champ now, bitch" lol 

I only caught part of the show but Penelope playing foul on the handshake went a long way. Was a good one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And this is just hitting me... they shut that crown down IMMEDIATELY. No CM Punk or Elite chants. Even that initial BOO TONY CHEER VACANT TITLE weirdness lasted seconds. They just fed the crowd big matches and didn't let them breathe, didn't give em time to think.

Which is actually a great way to deal with the situation - address upfront with no comments then just go for a show. Kudos to TBS for giving AEW ad free up front although the later matches did have a bunch of ads. In many ways, this was the anti-WCW/WWF way to deal with it. Sweep it under the rug. Mox was simply great - and the end with Garcia/Yuta/Danielson was some really great stuff too. Garcia gets made in a few weeks. 

Edited by chriskbrown50
Spelling
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And this is just hitting me... they shut that crown down IMMEDIATELY. No CM Punk or Elite chants. Even that initial BOO TONY CHEER VACANT TITLE weirdness lasted seconds. They just fed the crowd big matches and didn't let them breathe, didn't give em time to think.

Am I way off to suggest that Buffalo crowd was more deserving of a Vince McMahon produced 3 hour Raw?

5 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

The Acclaimed winning the Tag Belts is going to be an all time pop in AEW history.

It'll be like when Foley won the world title; replayed forever.

I understand holding the AEW World Tag Team Championship change for Grand Slam Dynamite 2022. I'd have called the audible and put it on the Acclaimed while the match was happening vs. Swerve in our Glory at All Out 2022.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I understand holding the AEW World Tag Team Championship change for Grand Slam Dynamite 2022. I'd have called the audible and put it on the Acclaimed while the match was happening vs. Swerve in our Glory at All Out 2022.

It would have been huge but I don't think anyone could have seen that coming.

I honestly think it was meant to just be a one and done match but the reaction means a pivot to a short feud and The Acclaimed getting a run.

Full credit to Swerve and Lee for embracing the heel turn as well. Can we use this to change their team name to "Strick-Lee Business" now?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It dawned on me recently that if I'm going to speculate on things I feel more comfortable keeping it to myself and not really posting online.  With all the shit that happened Sunday I read as much as I could about it but felt tonight was going to be the true sign of where things are headed.

And you know what?  For all the talk about doomsday approaching and people hating each other I feel through it all AEW will be just fine.  Tony needed a wakeup call in the worst way and Sunday might have gotten him to take a big step to get things back on track.  And who better to give the mission statement than Mox who took that responsibility and ran with it.  I don't think things will be perfect but it feels great to see what's been done.

As for the matches having Danielson/Page setup a stellar main in Yuta/Garcia put a huge damn smile on my face.  I'm so incredibly happy for Garcia getting the hometown win and his hero being there was icing on the cake.  Couldn't ask for a much better night than that.  Edit:  @For Great Justicenailed it with the passing of the torch post up above.

Also, while I appreciate @just drewchilling out on the Bucks lately I'm actually quite optimistic to see how things will be with tag and trios matches without them around.  I like them and all but feel Death Triangle are much better trios champs to show off the frenetic style those matches can bring.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 12

13 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

All I can add at the moment is it's kind of a bummer for Best Friends not to win but it looks like everything else is turning out way better than I thought it would.

I think they’re still building up to OC finally beating PAC and didn’t want to diminish that, but otherwise it should’ve been Best Friends. 

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever commented on MJF too much in the past. However...man, the start of his promo was genuinely funny. Dude even got his Mona-Lisa Saperstein impression in there, which fits him for a whole bunch of reasons.

Anyway...I'll say this. After the year he's had, and after that promo, Jon Moxley should be AEW world champion until the day he retires - and when he does retire, he should exchange that belt for ten dump trucks full of money. That guy had me wanting to tear down a skyscraper with my bare hands, and I wasn't having a great day up until now. Also, I can't resist going up to a slightly more "meta" level. Having the guy who professes to be the heart and soul of AEW address the circumstances in the fashion that Mox came up with borders on genius to me. He didn't explain one iota more than he had to, didn't mention any party involved in the brawl post-PPV, and imbued the title and his chase for it with some meaning again (at least in my eyes). 

Of course, what we're almost assuredly going to get is MJF as champ via shenanigans with either Mox, Danielson, or Hangman on the chase. (The fantasy-booking part of me who really wants a shakeup thinks MJF should hold the belt for a bit, and the person who takes it from him should be Ricky Starks.)

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, DEAN said:

A Ti-Cats Sucks! sign! 

And yet Ethan Page gets no respect in Buffalo!?!

I am... sad... that we can't have the TRUE best wrestler in the tournament.  ADAM MOTHERFUCKING COLE!  Adam Cole vs MJF for the strap will be so fucking awesome. 

Give Dean the book.

Oh, I forgot about the recent PAC/Orange Cassidy dustup!  IT'S A WORK THOUGH! 

Awesome!

Daniel Garcia has a HYPE MAN! 

Here's a special little nug called 'Folie A Deux' from said Hype Man alongside the wonderful Mach Hommy. 
Throwback style link for a throwback site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF1-VvJsbqI

This episode is FUCKING GREAT!  GARCIA WINS AND BUFFALO EXPLODES!  That was a fucking GREAT finish.  Man, there is nothing like a giant wad of great pro wrestling to wash the stink of SHOOT BACKSTAGE bullshit out of your... mouth.  Or something.  That was a fucking GREAT episode of DYNAMITE.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD.

"...Smelled like Victory."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I kid. I kid, because I relate.

Gears grinding? Jesus, more like teeth grinding. 

Anyway, to FSW: We don't need you *clap clap, clap clap clap*

That was a highly professional way to handle this whole thing and in a highly Coach Tony way in that there is another fucking tournament. I can't say the show overall was great (trios wasn't really my thing, women's match ended abruptly, Hangman/Dragon seemed like Page just wanted to get it over with and was nowhere near the other ones) but the main was GREAT, the crowd bit on what they needed to which was pretty much everything, and we talked about things like Regal eating Quaaludes in Africa and Hangman wearing a mask with a cowboy hat and a bandana sewn into it in the chat. Swerve looks like a total dirtbag in flannel. Action Bronson is gonna be at Arthur Ashe. AEW lives on.

EDIT: Oh yeah @Matt D hahaha... you are gonna haaaaaaate Hangman/Dragon. Sorry my friend. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 1