DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF - WEEK TWO

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, EVA said:

Still a quarter to play, so who knows how it ends, but this has been an embarrassing performance from pretty much everybody involved with Alabama.

I was not expecting this from UT. They have Young shook, they have the D frustrated and making dumb plays. You KNOW that Card hobbling for that 20 yard, first down scramble stuck in their craw.

What does Saban do about all these penalties? Gassers? Stadium steps? 

So Saban’s kryptonite is playing in Texas against a team playing its’ injured backup without a viable third stringer?

Was running a kids baseball practice, so I didn’t watch till the last five minutes.  All the Texas fans at the fields were already anticipating being in the playoff this year.  

• Like 1

I feel like I’ve been pretty consistent in saying Texas had a chance to win this one, so I’m not at all surprised it was down to the wire. I knew they would be really well prepared. But I was surprised it was a defensive struggle rather than a shootout. That a was an incredible effort for the Longhorn defense, and if they can continue to play at that level, this is going to be a really good year for them, regardless of the QB situation. The QB situation is tough, but I think Card can be good enough if he has two working legs. And especially if he’s getting as much help from the D as he got today.

As for Bama, they don’t look substantially improved from last year, though they did survive their Texas misadventure this year, which is an improvement in outcome, if not process.

Shows how much of an impact having two great individual players can make. Will Anderson blocks a FG before the half, which would’ve been the difference in the game, and gets the sack to force Texas’ final FG without being able to drain the rest of the clock, giving Bryce the chance to do Bryce things.

• Like 1

Man, there's the play where Will Anderson just destroyed Texas to get the sack that forced them to settle for the field goal with almost a minute and a half left, and the play where Texas looked like they were going to sack Young back out of field goal range only for him to duck it and run for the first and into chip shot territory. 

Like, there were a ton of other missed opportunities across the game, but those two plays really are the whole story at the end. Card doesn't get sacked Texas might be able to run the clock all the way down. Young does get sacked, Bama might not hit the game winner.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Like, there were a ton of other missed opportunities across the game, but those two plays really are the whole story at the end. Card doesn't get sacked Texas might be able to run the clock all the way down. Young does get sacked, Bama might not hit the game winner.

I think it's hard to overlook the missed facemask and PI calls in the first half that almost certainly cost Texas points. Plus the missed safety that they called roughing instead. 

• Like 2

Temple up 21-14 over Lafayette after 3 here in Philly. This is likely the only game they can win all year but then I remembered they have UMASS on the schedule. At least I got to see Stella The Owl.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Yeah. You can't sprain a bone. That requires ligaments. 

My daughter had a similar a/c joint injury when she was wrestling. It’s months of recovery and she still has lingering pain in it. She still won a state championship, though.

29 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I think it's hard to overlook the missed facemask and PI calls in the first half that almost certainly cost Texas points. Plus the missed safety that they called roughing instead. 

I don't disagree, but my point is, after everything that happened, it was those two plays that decided it in the end.

Having the best defensive player and arguably the best offensive player in the nation is helpful.

The missed safety uproar is funny to me, because Texas ended up getting an extra point out of that exchange.

Instead of a safety, Bama punted and Texas got a FG off the short field.

Then Bama did nothing with their next possession. They went 4 and out, punted, then Texas drove back down for another FG. Which is all they managed to do all game without Ewers in.

So they ended up +6 rather than +5

Bottom line: That call did not have a significant negative impact on Texas’s ability to win the game.

Edited by EVA

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

The missed safety uproar is funny to me, because Texas ended up getting an extra point out of that exchange.

Instead of a safety, Bama punted and Texas got a FG off the short field.

Then Bama did nothing with their next possession. They went 4 and out, punted, then Texas drove back down for another FG. Which is all they managed to do all game without Ewers in.

So they ended up +6 rather than +5

Bottom line: That call did not have a significant negative impact on Texas’s ability to win the game.

They would still have gotten a relatively short field after the safety after the free kick.