DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF - WEEK TWO

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

UT almost knocks off Bama, A&M and Notre Dame both lose at home to Sun Belt teams, and I’m not able to fully enjoy it because I have some kind of chest cold/bronchitis/flu keeping me low energy and sober.

My cousin who I worked for in his orange grove in Florida when I was 14, played offensive line for Appalachian State in the 60s.  He had a try out for the Dallas Cowboys.  The fact they beat Texas A&M is almost as hilarious as the time they beat Michigan at Michigan.  That rules so hard.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, DEAN said:

My cousin who I worked for in his orange grove in Florida when I was 14, played offensive line for Appalachian State in the 60s.  He had a try out for the Dallas Cowboys.  The fact they beat Texas A&M is almost as hilarious as the time they beat Michigan at Michigan.  That rules so hard.

Some things don't need to be brought up, Dean. ?

• Haha 3

Mark Stoops is a great coach. I can think of a couple of B1G schools with way more resources and commitment to football than Kentucky who would do well to fire their coach’s ass and hire him.

Speaking of which: Tune into FS1 right now if you want to see a dead body in Lincoln.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Mark Stoops is a great coach. I can think of a couple of B1G schools with way more resources and commitment to football than Kentucky who would do well to fire their coach’s ass and hire him.

Speaking of which: Tune into FS1 right now if you want to see a dead body in Lincoln.

I've been shocked how long he has stayed at UK. Vernables made sense, but I really expected Oklahoma to snag him.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah Neal Brown and Scott Frost are fighting to see who will open the door at the unemployment office.  Unfortunately for WVU fans getting of Brown will cost a ton.  Not sure about Frost

I believe Frost did one of those "restructure my deal with less money and a lower buyout" things this past off season.

-----------

Yeah I think the Michigan QB competition is over.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Get in there, Georgia Southern Twitter.

That’s a wrap on the Scott Frost era.

The first time Nebraska has ever lost at Memorial Stadium when scoring 35 or more points. 214-1 now.

I know there are volumes and volumes of research saying that winning and losing one score games are more about luck than anything else, that it tends to even out over time, etc... But at this point the Huskers have to be the exception, right? 

Frost just got beat by a less talented roster coached by Clay Helton for fuck's sake.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah I think the Michigan QB competition is over.

It's official. Mccarthy has been announced as the starter for week 3.

• Like 1

BTW - in another Sun Belt game we didn't mention

UNC escaped AGAIN. This time beating Georgia State 35-28

Carolina was up 21-0 and then Georgia State scored 28 straight points

UNC has a bye and then plays Notre Dame so that will be brutal for all who choose to watch

• Like 1

So, if we acknowledge that there are 3 main criterions for a non-P5 to crash the CFP—undefeated, at least one marquee win against a P5 or Notre Dame, and it certainly helps if you’re not viewed as a one-year wonder—then we can safely rule out recent G5 darlings like Cincinnati, UCF, Houston, and Boise. (Basically, you’re already out of national relevance by week 3, AAC.)

So who’s left with a REAL chance?

After last night’s win over Baylor, it looks like BYU. They have remaining games against Oregon, Notre Dame, and Arkansas to add to their P5 bonafides, as well. Plus, they have won 10 or more games the last two seasons, so they’re no Johnny-come-lately (they went 5-0 vs. the PAC-12 last year!). And, frankly, BYU has just about as strong of a national brand outside the P5 as there is, for however much that matters.

The Sun Belt is having a fun non-con season, but I don’t know that any of them have enough juice to really challenge for a spot. Coastal Carolina has a really soft schedule with no marquee P5 game. App State already has a loss. Marshall hasn’t been good recently, and it remains to be seen how much value a win over ND alone will carry in December.  BUT…if ND bounces back to win 9 or 10 games, and Coastal and App win 10 games each to make those victories look meaningful, maybe the Herd has a super outside chance.

That’s it. Those are the teams.

Your best bet for CFP chaos is to range yourself under the banner of Heaven.