DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 9/5 - 9/11/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Toxic Attraction vs. Doudrop/Nikki was solid. Kind of surprised DD and Nikki won. Curious if they have them stick around 2.0 for a bit. Both could use a reboot.

JD/Lee was good fun.

Meiko/Roxanne was predictably good and possibly the best Roxanne has looked in NXT. Meiko gave Roxanne plenty and Rox did well stepping up. Was nice to see things end clean with Cora waiting until after the match to be an asshole and beat on Roxanne for getting the match Cora wanted.

Ricochet/Trick was pretty solid and one of Trick's better showings. Not sure how much of that was Trick stepping up and how much was Ricochet bumping around to make everything Trick did look good.

Dug how they led into Pretty Deadly vs. Creeds II with PD getting in their own heads. That should be good-great next week. The promos based around Kemp were pretty solid as well. Lookign forward to eventual singles match with Brutus. 

Frazer/Axiom started off a bit of a high flyers match and somehow gradually turned into a stiffer more hodl based match as it went on. It was a pleasant surprise to see the style change as it went on. That finish was one of the nastiest dropkicks I can recall seeing in recent memory. Looking forward o more of this series, especially if we are getting a rounds match in the end.

Bron/Bate vs. Gallus was good fun. Bate and Bron made a great little team and  tossed out some fun spots including a nice little Steiners tribute.

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

I guess I should figure out who is who in Gallus.  Joe Coffey is the power guy.  So Wolfgang is the power guy.  HEY! Both of these guys are the power guys.

Joe Coffey is the small guy of group. He is also usually the singles guy. His younger brother Mark and Wolfgang are the tag team of the group. They were UK champs for a over a year.

• Like 1

The Fan Vote Choices are out

Stip for Tag Title Match

Tornado Tag, No DQ or Cage Match

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/polls/what-should-the-stipulation-be-for-pretty-deadly-vs-the-creed-brothers

Carmelo Hayes Opponent

Von Wagner, Joe Gacy or Wes Lee

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/wwe-universe-to-decide-next-challenger-for-carmelo-hayes-title

NXT 2.0 9/6/22

HEY NOW. Nobody sent me a messenger pigeon, smoke signals, or even a message in a bottle about Meiko Satomura being on my television, I had to read about it here? Ahead of time? No fair. Anyway this ended up being a whole review so here you go. It's also longer than usual so I spoilered it. 

Spoiler

Anyway, Toxic Attraction vs. Nikki/Doudrop was fine. Doudrop as Women's Plus-Size Vader is always welcome over here and somehow she got her nose busted; always got time for my gal Nikki too. I don't watch enough to know if the Mean Girls clique is any good.

Skipping ahead past a creepy looking guy who has the face of an evil child in a horror movie, the Swedish twins from Family Guy and some kind of Italian guido stereotype gimmick, we have MEIKO, and the awesome Rok-C! The amount of bright young stars Meiko has ground to dust under the heel of her boot in her time has to be astronomical. Roxanne is all spunky and sympathetic, doing some fairly lucha-styled work against Meiko who says "yeah I've seen that shit before, here is my forearm". Jesus, the cartwheel into smashing her shin right into the back of Roxanne's head is EVIL. Her gleeful grin and thumbs-up after is almost worse. Roxanne actually has a good comeback before being smashed beneath the heels of Meiko. I'll take her showing up on my TV every week in any fashion, but in a better world, she would be the women's division member of the Blackpool Combat Club. Rox-C landed well after ROH blew up and I'm happy for her. 

Watching Ricochet I think that something that doesn't get brought up ever is how high of a ring IQ you have to have to get in the ring these days. Fundamentals and basic psychology won't get you by anymore, you have to have pinpoint accuracy on some insane stuff that even in the '90s would seem to be above the Advanced Class. It's like going from Vanilla Fudge doing Beatles covers to Yes writing concept albums. This being basically a squash it was more like Beginning to Ricochet 1. 

Someone is gonna tell me Axiom is either a popular luchador or a young kid I've never heard of. Maybe both. The Dean/Eddie mirror spot faceoff is alive and well in 2022 it seems. Nathan almost faceplants on a tope. The calculus in this one is far more advanced as they vacillate between high spots and technical stuff. I guess that's the next evolution in wrestling, lucharesu gets tweaked by Danielson and we have tough submission wrestling mixed with Shooting Star Presses. They have a good match and there's two more coming so it'll be interesting to see what develops. 

Never seen this Tyler Bate fella, he has some sleazy ring music. He has some carny tricks like pushing his foot into kicking someone's face while headlocking them. Instead of AEW's heat during the PnP it looks like WWE prefers babyface shine as Bate has one dude in various headlocks the whole time. I think I prefer that actually. This is a big faces-win "send em home happy" main event though (I know because I saw the finish last night). One of the Gallus (?) boys does a nerve hold and then a snap brainbuster, then a bearhug? Wrestling really is getting weird. Bate's bizarre version of a ricochet lariat followed by a plain old Tiger Driver fits into this mold too. Fun match. OH NO THERE'S THE EVIL CHILD FACE GUY AGAIN! He has a real bad haircut too.

27 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Triple H keeps getting better ratings for Raw under his regime.  Even without a World title, but unlike others I don't care about "conventional booking" so I'm fine with no World title on Raw.

7da143bf-be50-4680-8a43-4a10afa7ec43-KNS

hi

• Like 5

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Fan Vote Choices are out

Stip for Tag Title Match

Tornado Tag, No DQ or Cage Match

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/polls/what-should-the-stipulation-be-for-pretty-deadly-vs-the-creed-brothers

Carmelo Hayes Opponent

Von Wagner, Joe Gacy or Wes Lee

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/wwe-universe-to-decide-next-challenger-for-carmelo-hayes-title

As various interviews have mentioned, the stipulations are set up so whatever the fans vote on the wrestlers can adapt without too many issues (not a big difference between a No DQ or a Tornado Tag match), but I imagine have to set up the steel cage and it not be voted as the winner would be a pain in the ass.

I'd like to see Melo vs Gacy since I think Gacy can go in the ring (gimmick leaves a lot to be desired though) and the cheating between Trick and GYV would be great.

Also, you don't need to sign up for anything to vote? 

Sorry I'm a little late.  Had giant tundra wads of wrestling that suddenly showed up/I had forgotten about that I needed to peruse.  PERUSED!  I don't know, It's 8:40.  Could I fast forward through 40 minutes of SMACKDOWN?  Let's find out!  Goddammit!  They start right off with Imperium vs Sheamus's guys who are hooligans.  So WWE needs a trios title.  Vinci is awesome.  Butch manipulates the joints!  GUNTHER fucking DESTROYS Butch with a chop.  Sheamus and GUNTHER get in the ring and they go to a commercial?  That's anti-climatic.  Oh yeah, Vinci is awesome.  Kaiser is the Adam Cole of Imperium- a good wrestler, just not a real ass stomper.  Oh yeah, Butch is awesome.  They keep keeping GUNTHER and Sheamus apart.  GUNTHER is totally rag dolling Butch.  The hot tag to Sheamus is fucking MOLTEN!  GREAT fucking BRAINBUSTER by Vinci on Butch. Imperium pins Ridge Holland with an elaborate thingy!  Well THAT was fucking AWESOME.  It's Gigi Dolin!  It's Jacey Jayne!  Up against Raquel Rodriguez and Aliyah!  Will they keep up the Raquel Is A One Woman Tagteam? Nope!  They do a straight Southern tag with Aliyah assuming the Ricky Morton role.  Toxic Attraction are a good heel tagteam.  Jayne is the wrestler.  Dolin is the powerhouse.  Rodriguez is a much more powerful powerhouse and she has TAGGED HOTLY!  RoDRIGUEZ IS WARDLOW!  Toxic Attraction looked good.  Raquel Rodriguez is the prettiest Vader EVER!  Oh geez, a five way!  Sonya Deville bumps big for Ronda Rousey.  I liked the duel submissions by Rousy and Deville.  Deville and Rousey are the last two and they go completely BattlARTS!  Rousey makes Deville tap and that was fun.  Sonya Deville is fucking awesome.  Maximum Male Models take on the Street Profits and Hit Row.   So the MMM can actually go.  Well, I new Los Lotharios could go, but the other two are good too.  Angelo Dawkins and Los Lotharios is the glue of the match. Hit Row have a neat finisher.  That was fun.  Did Montez Ford even get in the ring?  (OH NO!  It is 9:29 and I am caught up!  That was a lot of ring-time wrestling to have that much fast forwarding.  Oh geez, thirty minutes of SMACKDOWN in realtime....)  Braun Stroman has a gigantic skull.  It's Drew McIntyre vs Solo Sikoa!  McIntyre beats on the Lil'est Uso.  I assume there will be shenanigans.  You got all those guys at ringside.  Why would they not all beat the crap out of McIntyre?  We return from commercial (and tinkling!) and the Usox start CHEATING!  McIntyre goes on offense and Sikoa takes his moves like a champ!  Fun nearfall after Sami Zayne injects himself into the match.  The Usos REALLY start CHEATING!  The Street Profits!  Montez Ford hits an ENORMOUS plancha to take out the Usos and Zayne!  And Karrion Kross gets him in a Sleeper.  Well, that was a shitty finish.  But everything else on the show was good.  That was a good episode.

• Like 2

Imperium vs. Brawling Brutes was only slightly surprisingly great. The action was good with Imperium looking like they never stopped teaming. Dunne continues to adapt his regular style to the wildness of Butch rather well. Even Holland carried his end well enough aside from some freak moment with Kaiser that saw poor Kaiser land on his knee in awkward way. Loved the Sheamus/GUNTHER moments, and the crowd was molten throughout. That was so so damn good.

Raquel/Aliyah vs. Toxic Attraction was random but solid. Thought Toxic gave a better showing here than they did in the tournament a few weeks back.

The 5-way elimination match was short and more of tease of a fun Sonya/Ronda match. Feels like the two could work well together leaning towards something more shoot style/mat based.

Street Profits/Hit Row vs. MMM/Los Letharios was a good fun with all the teams getting to showcase a bit.

Drew/Solo was pretty nice. The two have solid chemistry and worked well together here while the Bloodline were good as cheating bastards on the outside giving Solo a chance to rest or take advantage every time it was needed. The finish didn't bother me. It was a decent enough way to keep Solo from taking a pinfall loss is his first main roster match while also feeding in to the Drew/Kross feud that has been building.

Every match was at least fun tonight, and I dug what they were doing with Solo and the rest of the Bloodline. I love how Jey is still the only member who hates Sami. Imperium/Brutes was so damn unexpected and great. Good show overall.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Otis/Gable trying to replicate the Owens/Elias heat in Seattle a few years ago was kinda funny. As was the trolling of AEW with the whole “Rousey was disciplined internally and the results will not be made public” deal.